Heaton Lodge Junction

Simon - if you're modelling pre 1984 you'd need a Trans-Pennine class 124 set. Never seen a 7mm model of one, although I have a Trix HO version. The 124's were joined by the Reading based 123's in later life, then withdrawn in 1984 and all sadly scrapped. I seem to recall travelling to college on their replacement, which for a short while was a class 31 loco with only 4 coaches. I finished college in Leeds in September 1985, so I've no idea how long that lasted. In winter I do recall on several occasions seeing clouds of steam from the heating, so must have been some of the HM based 31/1's. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Edited by AndrewT
Additional info.

12 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Out of this world Simon! Simply epic.

Curious as to the changie from White Rose? Was it to Tim Horn..

Cheers

Thanks.

White Rose have done a fantastic job but since I’m really up against it time wise I need a quicker rate of pace hence Tim Horn becoming involved too. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, AndrewT said:

Simon - if you're modelling pre 1984 you'd need a Trans-Pennine class 124 set. Never seen a 7mm model of one, although I have a Trix HO version. The 124's were joined by the Reading based 123's in later life, then withdrawn in 1984 and all sadly scrapped. I seem to recall travelling to college on their replacement, which for a short while was a class 31 loco with only 4 coaches. I finished college in Leeds in September 1985, so I've no idea how long that lasted. In winter I do recall on several occasions seeing clouds of steam from the heating, so must have been some of the HM based 31/1's. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

I well remember the 124’s but as you say there’s nothing in OO gauge let alone O even in kit form. 
The 110’s ran up to the late 80’s past HLJ but again nothing in kit form either. I’d love to have a go kit bashing both but just don’t have the time in the next year. 
The Trix HO version of the 124 is a rare beast..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I well remember the 124’s but as you say there’s nothing in OO gauge let alone O even in kit form. 
The 110’s ran up to the late 80’s past HLJ but again nothing in kit form either. I’d love to have a go kit bashing both but just don’t have the time in the next year. 

There is something in 00 This if I’m correct. Not my bag but Trans Pennine was a clue just maybe !  An upscale possibility?

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

... and in O gauge too: https://www.jandmhughesogauge.com/copy-of-rtr-2

28 minutes ago, Chrisbr said:

I just love the fact that when Simon takes a photo from one end, you can no longer see the other end!! This is just amazing and I can't wait to see it in real life. Keep up the excellent work Simon.

Yes it’s more walking from one end to the other when you’ve forgotten something that does my head in.

In light of a previous post HLJ will have a quantity of binoculars anchored to the edge of the model for viewers to use. I won’t be supplying coffee in a flask before anyone asks 

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2019 at 21:23, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thought I’d post a couple of pics of two Class 40’s 40126 & 009 that will be working on Heaton Lodge.

6BF3C75B-16BB-40DA-8108-7A66AD26ECA7.png

40126 (as D326) received infamy for being the loco involved in the Great Train Robbery.

• RMweb Premium

Going O/T - sorry Simon!

40s were the mainstay of freights on my local line (avoiding the WCML between Preston and Carlisle) in my main trainspotting days

The last few from SP/KD were the really common locos - particularly 40044 and 40008. HM/GD residents were regulars on the Clitheroe cement workings to Middlesbrough/Newcastle.

'126 was one of my relatively rare haulage 40s. It was at the head of a charter from Preston-Edinburgh as far as Hellifield and also the return segment. 4472 was the S&C traction!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Not too glamorous down here in the dungeon over the Christmas period.

Confined myself to fitting and wiring another 10 LED batten lights at both ends of the layout. That many striplights (about 60 now) then started tripping the breakers so spent a happy day wiring in a new one.

I’m well used to flicking the power on the main board with a broom handle. Amazing what you can learn on YouTube. (It has now been checked I should add). :) 

The last batch of scenic boards Tim Horn delivered at the west end have now been levelled on their trestles and fitted with dowels and snap catches.

Levelling this many frames can be very frustrating as I’ve discovered over the last 3 years.
Different trestles carry different weights, so adjusting one trestle where the frame is slightly out of alignment horizontally can put the next 5 frames out instead.

Jobs in January now include finishing the scenery on the 2 last frames I haven’t finished. Followed by joining the fiddle yard (via 3 straight plain frames). to the long curves in the pic & laying and wiring these 4 tracks to the fiddle yards. Happy days 

B9CDFBBD-C3B6-48B1-8562-5CEBD7064FE4.jpeg

FEAFE0FF-BED2-4AA6-B63F-E16D868E012D.jpeg

86FC2C8D-5730-459A-AF14-1AD9B0569EF4.jpeg

2F06EB9E-A012-4628-B2F9-5526CAAE4D25.jpeg

Obviously quite considerably too late in the day to do anything about it, but did you consider/dismiss the 3 legged stool approach?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2019 at 07:49, uk_pm said:

... and in O gauge too: https://www.jandmhughesogauge.com/copy-of-rtr-2

I wish you hadn't posted that link, I saw 4COR in the price list. Now I can't unsee it.

Thanks.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Simond said:

Tool trolley...

I’m actually the proud owner of a Piaggio Ape 3 wheeler. If you don’t know what one is you’ll see them in Italy (no not the same as those Tuk Tuk’s).

I’ve been trying to get it down here to carry stuff about as mine has a pick up body but it won’t fit through the door. I haven’t given up yet though. I’ve always liked these since I saw one in Milan weaving through heavy traffic carrying a dog, a pig and a goat .

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

On another note I’ve been manhandling the last few curved boards at the east end & 5 straight boards into position today.

A lack of trestles has prevented this before now.

These will join up with the fiddle yard and as you can see I’m going to shortly move up the full fiddle yard to fit with these.

One of the critical points in assembling HLJ will be to keep the two sides of the rectangle at an exact width for the whole length. Other wise if just 1 board is 2mm out then all the rest will be too so when coming to join the sides with a curve there could be disaster. 
So my solution is a thick piece of rope the exact correct width between the sides. If each end always just touches each side on assembly it should be fine..

The straight boards (and the 30ft radius boards before it) will eventually form the model of Healey Mills - or at least the northern part of it inc the fitters shed, engine shed & fuel point. 
This won’t be done before Warley but the track should be in position.

I’ll have the 4 tracks laid to join the fiddle yard before the end of Jan.

A90BFDAB-293D-4AA8-BDBF-C93A040D3FE2.jpeg

A54BC362-D1B1-4ACB-8E9C-4DA7684A8337.jpeg

21012DDD-5E82-4027-BD3F-2E1700626FAC.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7