Heaton Lodge Junction

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’m actually the proud owner of a Piaggio Ape 3 wheeler. If you don’t know what one is you’ll see them in Italy (no not the same as those Tuk Tuk’s).

I’ve been trying to get it down here to carry stuff about as mine has a pick up body but it won’t fit through the door. I haven’t given up yet though. I’ve always liked these since I saw one in Milan weaving through heavy traffic carrying a dog, a pig and a goat .

Why not install some G scale track below the main railway to act as a navvys line - then you can send stuff up and down on the back of a flat wagon!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’m actually the proud owner of a Piaggio Ape 3 wheeler. If you don’t know what one is you’ll see them in Italy (no not the same as those Tuk Tuk’s).

I’ve been trying to get it down here to carry stuff about as mine has a pick up body but it won’t fit through the door. I haven’t given up yet though. I’ve always liked these since I saw one in Milan weaving through heavy traffic carrying a dog, a pig and a goat .

Given the exhaust fumes those give off, perhaps not a great idea in a cellar.

But lots of trolleys available that would no doubt be very useful in such a large space.

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 21:23, HeatonLodge40 said:

40126 has damage built in to its sides which occurred at Thornaby

It got a few scars when it was involved in  a runaway in Birmingham in 1965.

On 28/12/2019 at 15:33, HeatonLodge40 said:

Levelling this many frames can be very frustrating as I’ve discovered over the last 3 years.
Different trestles carry different weights, so adjusting one trestle where the frame is slightly out of alignment horizontally can put the next 5 frames out instead.

I've got six boards and can't keep those aligned 100%.

On 28/12/2019 at 16:19, HeatonLodge40 said:

I won’t be supplying coffee in a flask before anyone asks 

How about a bottle of Tizer and a bag of crisps?

8 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

have you tried roller skates?

Or a bike, possibly a Raleigh Chopper?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’ve been trying to get it down here to carry stuff about as mine has a pick up body but it won’t fit through the door.

Given the period being modelled wouldn't a selection of BRUTEs be more appropriate?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Since it’s almost the end of another year I thought I’d do a recap of where it all began. 

So here is 2015 to begin with

‘That picture’ - Railway photographer Bill Jameson’s pic captures me on the fence in 1983, (far left) makes the decision to start the project..

Work starts..366D8A03-7FC6-453C-B338-D6695A3BD665.jpeg.f9ad4af8ec84cc269d6d02bc97aa44dd.jpeg

Work begins 8C710091-533A-4EB3-B7E7-33595CF7BCC8.png.bcc7d41d641afccb2a09e4f336c2e232.png

‘That’ pic92836979-DC65-4107-B371-D8551EADFEC7.png.e106ca3dbad0646af975edeb081c43cf.pngThe track plan..1EE6D465-5CA3-4AA2-87C6-BEDAD62C1DD4.jpeg.04dc049fb0f662b25a04f1956ebbd6f5.jpegNo 1 frame the first one

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5000 litres of enamel paint - for a model railway room - enough for an ocean liner !! - - Just beyond my comprehension !!

Good luck & best wishes in 2020. I would like to see this layout one day. (no - it's not a layout - it's quite something else).

Brit15

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, APOLLO said:

5000 litres of enamel paint - for a model railway room - enough for an ocean liner !! - - Just beyond my comprehension !!

Good luck & best wishes in 2020. I would like to see this layout one day. (no - it's not a layout - it's quite something else).

Brit15

Thanks. Yes I had to get an account with a paint manufacturer. 
I trod enamel paint everywhere for months. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wow... didn't realise how much work you had to do on the basement....  building the walls etc. 

Great spot you found to house it all though. 

As always I am in awe of your dedication over 4 years. It will all be worth it.

That pointwork on the main junction is something else.

What's the biggest highlight and low light so far would you say?

Any joy with the Class 110 or 124 enquiries?  They would really compliment the era of running.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Growling said:

Wow... didn't realise how much work you had to do on the basement....  building the walls etc. 

Great spot you found to house it all though. 

As always I am in awe of your dedication over 4 years. It will all be worth it.

That pointwork on the main junction is something else.

What's the biggest highlight and low light so far would you say?

Any joy with the Class 110 or 124 enquiries?  They would really compliment the era of running.

Yes thanks to you I had a conversation with Mr Hughes who has promised to have a 4 car blue/grey class 124 ready for late next year. 
This one will be as they were in ‘84 minus an engine and griddle car. 
Cheers 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with reading an account that is 45 pages long is that by the time you reach the end you've forgotten how it all started. Speaking personally, that is. Seeing it summarised in (significantly) fewer pictures just highlights the enormous energy this project must have consumed. I used to think that I had mastered the everyday use of the English language, but my failure to describe adequately just how this project has inspired me just demonstrates how wrong I was.

One question, Simon. Will there be a model of you standing on a fence somewhere? :P

• Like 6