Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Premium

Simon, I discovered this thread over Christmas and have now read every page. I can do no more than echo the praise and encouragement others have given. Absolutely awesome in the true sense of this much overused word is all I can think of. Thank you as well for the comprehensive descriptions of how you went about various tasks - they are invaluable.

I remember reading about the Lamborghini in Evo (far too many years ago for comfort!) and like you I have spent a lot of money on cars, none as special as the Lamborghini but my favourite 'moderns' have been an Impreza and a Lotus Elise (Toyota engine). Also I still have the Triumph TR3 which I rebuilt from a pile of junk. A number of people said I'd never do it, well they may as well have stood in front of a bull with a giant red flag because each doubter made me stronger. I've run the TR for 20 years now. It's still going strong having competed in historic rallies, been across the Alps and Dolomite many times - yes, the Stelvio at least 4 times - been driven on the Nurburgring and 'off the clock' in the top lane of the banking at Millbrook. So, take no notice of your critics and let each one make you more determined to finish the job and prove them wrong!

I'll see you at Warley. I was going to give it a miss this year but not now!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2020 at 09:32, HeatonLodge40 said:

Hi James such a shame about the cottages.
Is it a sure thing they are going as I know Network Rail often propose these things but don’t finally push ahead with every project.

On a positive note I’ve installed a greenhouse on your patio in case you’re into growing tomato plants 

8C27EE39-8B79-46AF-9895-4E3558C8E6E1.png

I can’t say too much on NR due to “ongoing conversations”  however I think it’s safe to say it’s going ahead. I’ll fill you in privately!

I’m not that green fingered but that wooden bench is ideal to watch the dog leg it through the gap in the fence and dodge the trains..

on a serious note, it looks superb and I can’t wait to see it in person.

• Like 1

I seem to recall that (possibly) in the period 1982-1985 (ish...) seeing a single DMU 'Bubblecar' (class 121 or 122?) in plain dark BR/DMU blue livery working over the line presumably on a Huddersfield-Wakefield or Leeds service? I also seem to recall that I might have only seen this on weekends. Anyone else seen one passing HL? I know one or two of these classes ended up as driver training / route familiarisation units for the likes of EW&S. There is a model kit of either a 121 or 122  in O gauge - which I have - but so long ago I can't remember which it is. Must dig it out one day.

Edited by AndrewT
Additional info.

10 hours ago, AndrewT said:

I seem to recall that (possibly) in the period 1982-1985 (ish...) seeing a single DMU 'Bubblecar' (class 121 or 122?) in plain dark BR/DMU blue livery working over the line presumably on a Huddersfield-Wakefield or Leeds service? I also seem to recall that I might have only seen this on weekends. Anyone else seen one passing HL? I know one or two of these classes ended up as driver training / route familiarisation units for the likes of EW&S. There is a model kit of either a 121 or 122  in O gauge - which I have - but so long ago I can't remember which it is. Must dig it out one day.

You are quite right Andrew a 121 was used for drivers learning the route back then.
Heres a poor quality pic of one ascending the dive under line from Huddersfield heading towards Leeds in 1979.

Perfect excuse to run the forthcoming model from Heljan in fact.

General update in the next couple days by the way

1DCD1DCE-72A7-43F3-A8D6-9841F9D71A54.png

• Like 8

12 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

You are quite right Andrew a 121 was used for drivers learning the route back then.
Heres a poor quality pic of one ascending the dive under line from Huddersfield heading towards Leeds in 1979.

Checked and mine is a Tower Models class 121. I notice in your photo the orange site huts of Mowlem Construction who were on with rebuilding the Ha'penny Bridge at the time. This was most definitely 'my era' at HL.

30 minutes ago, teaky said:

How do you manage the transition from level to super elevated track, Simon?

Just a metre of 1mm card then onto the 2mm. 
Only issue with superelevated track is it uses mountains of ballast to get to sleeper level.

Still, it looks good 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2020 at 19:37, HeatonLodge40 said:

Hard to be certain but it looks like it has the class 122 style smaller route destination box. I see some side windows seem to have been painted over so this might help identify it. I have tried unsuccessfully.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Would it help to super elevate the cork as well as the track?

3 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Have to say I never thought of that! 

I superelevate the whole trackbed, which has slits cut so that each track can be canted separately. The natural twistiness of the plywood provides a smooth transition from uncanted to canted and back again.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

15 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Just a metre of 1mm card then onto the 2mm. 
Only issue with superelevated track is it uses mountains of ballast to get to sleeper level.

Still, it looks good 

Key question Simon is can you basically have a couple of trains running all the time while you work now?!

54 minutes ago, Growling said:

Key question Simon is can you basically have a couple of trains running all the time while you work now?!

Not yet sadly. 
The frames that carry the curves at the opposite end are due from Tim Horn in a month or so.

Once they are finished then it’ll take me 2 weeks to lay the track on these.

I’m looking forward to that day believe me.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Hard to be certain but it looks like it has the class 122 style smaller route destination box. I see some side windows seem to have been painted over so this might help identify it. I have tried unsuccessfully.

That looks like the position of the extra double door added for parcels use.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Forget that, I'm talking rubbish

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks. Bit late now for me though!

That said the large amount of ballast required on superelevated track is the same whether you elevate just the track or the track bed itself..

Simon,

I think not.  If you assume a superelevation of 2mm, and standard 8’6” sleepers, you’ll require a wedge of 59.5 sq mm extra.  If you assume that you use a piece of 2mm card 10mm wide, to lift the high ends of the sleepers, you can subtract 20mm2 from that.  Assume this is only the case between sleepers, ie no ballast under them, then you have 20” between sleepers and 10” of sleeper, so 2/3 of the length.  I can’t remember the radius of your curves but let’s assume they’re 5m (about 16 feet) - a half circle would therefore be 2.5 x Pi metres long = 7854mm

the extra ballast required would be 2/3 x 7854 x (59.5 - 20) which = 206821 mm3 per track.  That’s 0.2 litres, or around 800g.  

it’ll actually be more than this because the shoulder on the high side is both higher and longer, but you get the picture.  You might save a couple of kilos...

not sure it’ll make a difference in the overall scheme of things!

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Simond said:

Simon,

I think not.  If you assume a superelevation of 2mm, and standard 8’6” sleepers, you’ll require a wedge of 59.5 sq mm extra.  If you assume that you use a piece of 2mm card 10mm wide, to lift the high ends of the sleepers, you can subtract 20mm2 from that.  Assume this is only the case between sleepers, ie no ballast under them, then you have 20” between sleepers and 10” of sleeper, so 2/3 of the length.  I can’t remember the radius of your curves but let’s assume they’re 5m (about 16 feet) - a half circle would therefore be 2.5 x Pi metres long = 7854mm

the extra ballast required would be 2/3 x 7854 x (59.5 - 20) which = 206821 mm3 per track.  That’s 0.2 litres, or around 800g.  

it’ll actually be more than this because the shoulder on the high side is both higher and longer, but you get the picture.  You might save a couple of kilos...

not sure it’ll make a difference in the overall scheme of things!

atb

Simon

Is pedantry scaleable?!!!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5