Heaton Lodge Junction

10 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Well into replacing the four sections of track that span boards and over time have become mis aligned.

It’s not great digging out ballast and pulling up track so soon but things have to run smoothly.

In every case I’ve replaced the track sections with a scale 60’ track panel with concrete sleepers.

In the photo I’m going to super detail this particular panel as if the PW chaps have just installed it.

Therefore the Peco concrete sleepers have been painted with Precision paints concrete. After which talc is sieved onto the wet paint to give the rough appearance.

I’ll then tone the colours down with weathering powders once dry, add dummy fishplates, paint the rail sides and ballast it. Might even pick out the odd pandrol clip in yellow which I’ve noticed occasionally on the prototype..

Might be going a bit too far, but Pandrol clip colours have a meaning, both in type of fixing and to distinguish the rarely used/needed left handed type from the normal right handed type.  Type used also depends on type of sleeper.  Current guidance seems to be this document:

http://www.pandroluserguide.co.uk/library/Downloads/Pandrol_User_Guide_Edition_8_v7.1.pdf

Obviously this is current guidance so might have also been different in era of your model as well.

My knowledge pretty limited and only from occasional track work volunteering on a preserved railway, so had to do a wee bit of searching to find above document.  

Anyway, hope of some interest or help, perhaps in not applying what seen on today’s railway to a previous time period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

i think Simon is referring to odd clips that have been sprayed yellow by p.w. staff to either highlight a problem or instruct repair teams to replace. i've only noticed the various coloured clips in fairly recent years.

• RMweb Premium

I remember that diveunder so well from when I was at Poly at Huddersfield in 72/73.  Trans Pennine DMU's and the 37 hauled coal trains to and from the Clayton West Branch.

It's looking great.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a diversion today and started weathering the first of 80 MGR wagons.

I’m spending no more than 10 mins per wagon so each gets masked for the familiar two tyre lines before a medium coat of dirty black inside the masking tape. Then the hopper gets a lighter overall coat of the same.

The chassis then gets some frame dirt  and finally some oil stains on the axleboxes. I’ll probably mask off the odd panel to suggest a new one has been welded in.

Back to the latest frame and the rail sides were painted today, concrete trunking added and ballasting begins.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I ever saw MGRs in that yellow and blue striped livery - very smart though!

Kev.

Edited by SHMD
  • Funny 3

Simon

Maybe you should Marshall up the train, and set up the airbrush at the side of the track, then just drive the train past the airbrush ! Drive by weathering. A bit like the real process only speeded up 

Keep up the good work. Will deffo be coming to see this

cheers

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, class27 said:

Simon

Maybe you should Marshall up the train, and set up the airbrush at the side of the track, then just drive the train past the airbrush ! Drive by weathering. A bit like the real process only speeded up 

Keep up the good work. Will deffo be coming to see this

cheers

I'd thought the same! :lol:

That  Wildstyle graffiti 'typeface' for want of a better term  was 'developed' by US street artists circa 1983 - great to see the  early  '80's Heaton Lodge homies were bang on trend.

Edited by monkeysarefun

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

That  Wildstyle graffiti 'typeface' for want of a better term  was 'developed' by US street artists circa 1983 - great to see the  early  '80's Heaton Lodge homies were bang on trend.

Never seen a photo, but around 78/79, a certain lad who we sort of knew ( year or two above us at school) sprayed 'WACKER' on that retaining wall in 3' high letters with a white aerosol can. Not sure what the paint was but he'd got it from the local hardware shop in Mirfield (L.D. Smiths). Mustn't have lasted long on there before it weathered off. His surname was 'Walker' - hence his nickname was Wacker. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

Never seen a photo, but around 78/79, a certain lad who we sort of knew ( year or two above us at school) sprayed 'WACKER' on that retaining wall in 3' high letters with a white aerosol can. Not sure what the paint was but he'd got it from the local hardware shop in Mirfield (L.D. Smiths). Mustn't have lasted long on there before it weathered off. His surname was 'Walker' - hence his nickname was Wacker. 

Could've been worse...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6