Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Didn’t take any of the 40’s sadly but give me a couple days.
I doubt a 40 in real life would have pulled 40 loaded HAA’s though! 

I do have a pic, somewhere, I took of a 40 pulling the 36 HAAs up through Mossley towards Standedge.

Kev.

(They must have been empty but I just can't remember now.)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Absolutely fab that as a confirmed kettle man.

is the smoke unit synchronised ? 
More please of the 9f!

Yes it’s synchronised smoke & sound. 
I do love 9F’s ..this one is lightly weathered (as per the real thing on a charter) & will pull ‘The Downesman’ westbound 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely awesome! As has been said many times on this thread, the "like" button just simply doesn't do it justice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/05/2020 at 19:21, HeatonLodge40 said:

Rodger thank you for that, very kind.

Today 37191 traversed the whole circuit pulling a fully loaded 37 wagon MGR. Taking 6 mins & 40 seconds at a scale 48mph..

I will post some videos in the next couple of days but I will say the objective of waiting absolutely ages for the train to thunder past (after seeing the high intensity light in the far distance) is spectacular!

In the meantime I’ve been installing Allan Downes old sewerage works. I’m re-starting on the scenery at the very end and am now working back towards the dive under I started a few weeks ago.

Allans derelict building needed to stand on its own platform between the river and the far end of the model to get the right height.

Using bits of 4x2 to prop up the platform added too much weight so I’ve used scrap aluminium tube, hot glued to the frame.

I’ll begin infilling the gaps with polystyrene tomorrow (if I’m not distracted by a huge freight passing by every 6 and a half minutes.)

5985A1F5-7092-4E8C-B047-CA7DD3C0A8C2.jpeg

E862697D-0E96-4E07-A1B3-8E7BCE58312F.jpeg

For all that I spent my youth down there and know the area well, I just can't place where this building was or still is?  I remember the steel bridge carrying a massive pipe over the river (I shudder to think what was in that pipe from the sewage works!), which we used to climb across for a dare.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Unsurprisingly I haven’t got much scenic work done since the circuit has been completed! 
Here is Romanian (kit built) 56009 storming through the junction heading east with 40 fully loaded HAA’s.

I’ve loaded each one of these HAA’s a third full of real crushed coal which makes for a proper heavyweight train..

6 hours ago, AndrewT said:

For all that I spent my youth down there and know the area well, I just can't place where this building was or still is?  I remember the steel bridge carrying a massive pipe over the river (I shudder to think what was in that pipe from the sewage works!), which we used to climb across for a dare.

Andrew your memory serves you well!

The truth is there wasn’t an old building there in the 80’s! 
Allan Downes left me two derelict building which I thought would look good there & double as old sewerage works (as you know there’s a huge sewerage farm there and has been since the ‘50’s).

The scenery on this very last frame will be largely modellers license anyway as the scenic break, (which is a road bridge) is also fictitious.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've thought long and hard about mentioning this, I am in awe of the project and couldn't hope to achieve the quality of workmanship on a layout one hundredth of the size, but,,,,,, one things grinds my gears so to speak.

IMHO, the loading of the MGR's should be more regular, they are loaded from the same hopper, so each wagon should exhibit a similar (not exactly the same) pattern of loading. You went to great lengths to get the correct size of coal and this rather spoils the effect of the MGR train for me.

11 minutes into this video shows what I'm banging on about;

I hope this will be taken as constructive criticism, as a mere mortal I bow to your superior skills.

Apologies.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've thought long and hard about mentioning this, I am in awe of the project and couldn't hope to achieve the quality of workmanship on a layout one hundredth of the size, but,,,,,, one things grinds my gears so to speak.

IMHO, the loading of the MGR's should be more regular, they are loaded from the same hopper, so each wagon should exhibit a similar (not exactly the same) pattern of loading. You went to great lengths to get the correct size of coal and this rather spoils the effect of the MGR train for me.

11 minutes into this video shows what I'm banging on about;

I hope this will be taken as constructive criticism, as a mere mortal I bow to your superior skills.

Apologies.

Mike

Nope you’re absolutely right Mike the coal should be humped either in one or two mounds and be even finer.

I’ve two more rakes of 36 to do yet so I shall get better at it next time! 
Absolutely no issue with constructive criticism like that at all.

I will persuade myself that this first rake was the result of a failure at the loading facility so had to be done manually by JCB :) 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 21:07, HeatonLodge40 said:

...40 fully loaded HAA’s.

I’ve loaded each one of these HAA’s a third full of real...

I'm also confused by the wagons being both fully loaded AND 1/3 full, but that's just me and I'll keep quiet.

7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I'm also confused by the wagons being both fully loaded AND 1/3 full, but that's just me and I'll keep quiet.

Ah yes right.
The answer is they appear fully loaded but in fact the false foamboatd base inside each HAA is about 2cms below the top of the wagon.
As the crushed coal is piled on this then they are in fact actually a third full but ‘appear’ fully loaded ! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I seem to remember three from some pits (don't ask me which ones!).

It could be the same loader on a different day, depending on how accurate the SSC on the locomotive was.

The loading process was manually automatically controlled, (although weight measurement was automatic to ensure no overloading),  and depending on the speed of the wagon going through the RLB the operator might have time to put three drops in if it was on the slow side, but if it was going slightly overspeed then he might only have time to do one drop, which you'll notice on some wagons as single mound with a flattened top.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It could be the same loader on a different day, depending on how accurate the SSC on the locomotive was.

The loading process was manually automatically controlled, (although weight measurement was automatic to ensure no overloading),  and depending on the speed of the wagon going through the RLB the operator might have time to put three drops in if it was on the slow side, but if it was going slightly overspeed then he might only have time to do one drop, which you'll notice on some wagons as single mound with a flattened top.

Mike.

Ah, yes. Thanks Mike. Actually, the slow speed control was pretty consistent but what could and did affect the train speed over the ground was the rail and/or weather condition. On a wet day, the operation of the wheelslip prevention system would result in a lower speed through the loader. Thinking about it, as some pits you'd get a different effect in different parts of the train depending how much was on a curve as each wagon went through the loader.

No overloading - now that's an interesting topic. Don't ask me about loading ballast at Meldon Quarry into Seahorses in the early 1990s...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/05/2020 at 21:48, HeatonLodge40 said:

Didn’t take any of the 40’s sadly but give me a couple days.
I doubt a 40 in real life would have pulled 40 loaded HAA’s though! 

They could pull quite a lot, but I wouldn't fancy trying to control one down to hopper loading speed or draw one up a wagon length at a time.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, steve45 said:

Hi Simon,

I may have missed this earlier in the thread, if I have I apologise, what control system do you use for this brilliant layout?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, no I haven’t mentioned the control system in much detail -  mainly cos it’s one of the few things I’ve not done myself and I don’t understand it yet :) 

However its soon to be an automated system with a manual option. It uses Digitrax & Digikeijs hardware with Rocrail software.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Simon. Outstanding work as always. I never cease to be amazed at the people who rubbish Heljan Diesels at every opportunity, but their Haulage capacity has to be seen to be believed, I have had gear issues with a Hymek , one of my 26's and a 20, I have repaired all of these with gears sourced on ebay and have slightly relieved the interference fit on the shafts, but only time will tell if I have got it right or not. Really sad to hear about your 40's they are beautiful models, but they will have to work for their living on this layout!!!! Keep up the good work

best wishes

• Like 1
  • Agree 1