Heaton Lodge Junction

To be fair - they cleaned up their act since late 70's / early 80's and the river is pretty clear and supports ( according to the controlling Bradford No.1 angling club) 'Species include roach, bream, perch, chub, gudgeon, dace and pike and a few grayling or brown trout'. I believe the sewage treatment process changed in the 1990's and residual 'sediment' is dried and burned to produce steam, which via a generator produces enough electric to power the entire site as well as a large surplus to feed into the national grid.

However - your model is entirely as I remembered it.... you will have to depict turds and used condoms drifting with the current somehow!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndrewT said:

To be fair - they cleaned up their act since late 70's / early 80's and the river is pretty clear and supports ( according to the controlling Bradford No.1 angling club) 'Species include roach, bream, perch, chub, gudgeon, dace and pike and a few grayling or brown trout'. I believe the sewage treatment process changed in the 1990's and residual 'sediment' is dried and burned to produce steam, which via a generator produces enough electric to power the entire site as well as a large surplus to feed into the national grid.

However - your model is entirely as I remembered it.... you will have to depict turds and used condoms drifting with the current somehow!

mmmm this is going to get interesting :good:

8 hours ago, AndrewT said:

Yes I think I’ll pass on the last items -even though as you know I appreciate fine detail :) 
Just had the casting resin delivered so once the river bed sides are done I’ll get cracking 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AndrewT said:

Why are there so many engineers wagons in the river?

Mike.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AndrewT said:

I spent quite a bit of time pottering up and down the navigation there in the mid 70s.  Upstream of the confluence with the river Colne (slightly upstream of the bridges), the water quality was much better.  The problem seemed to be the output from the various chemical and textile works in the Huddersfield area.

Adrian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2020 at 21:11, figworthy said:

Upstream of the confluence with the river Colne (slightly upstream of the bridges), the water quality was much better.  The problem seemed to be the output from the various chemical and textile works in the Huddersfield area.

Adrian

Yes the Colne, which is barely 10 miles long from its source to the west above Marsden, was definitely the culprit.  Especially the final 2-3 miles downstream from Huddersfield town centre which passed what at that time would have been ICI's plant (now Syngenta) along Leeds Road.

The Calder would have been less polluted, in relative terms, upstream of the confluence with the Colne.

Edited by 4630
typo.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 4630 said:

Yes the Colne, which is barely 10 miles long from its source to the west above Marsden, was definitely the culprit.  Especially the final 2-3 miles downstream from Huddersfield town centre which passed what at that time would have been ICI's plant (now Syngenta) along Leeds Road.

The Calder would have been less polluted, in relative terms, upstream of the confluence with the Colne.

Interesting little river the Colne. It flowed past all manner of industries and also collected the water from the Holme valley, more mills. Then after that came all the chemical industries. Kilner Bank behind much of southern Huddersfield was, or so I was told, so grossly polluted by the munitions factories in WW1 that nothing grew on it till the 1980's and that was before it got to the sewage works and Hollidays Dye works.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Luke is using a mini blowtorch to pop the air bubbles as they appear.

FB287829-8A86-44B6-84DF-C99DA08E14DF.jpeg.8041a0b00749c03660d62d6d779eb459.jpegF00FC3E4-4513-42AC-90FC-133837D75171.jpeg.87b55264ad9f13f0226b12160932e97a.jpeg

Look like your mate Luke had a parka coat on at first glance (good old train spotters attire) especially with all that ice around.....Brrrrr

9 hours ago, Joner said:

Stunning piece of work again. I don't think I would have the courage to pour that!

Thanks, I can’t say I wasn’t a bit nervous. My main concern was the resin would end up on the floor. Fortunately it all seems ok so far..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2