Heaton Lodge Junction

Simon,

I suspect you’ll have a bit of a task keeping the river clean, well, dust free, given the Calder wasn’t getting a blue bathing award in those days.  Have you a plan?

it occurs to me that maybe arranging a fan to blow gently from under the bridge might discourage dust landing on it.

atb

Simon

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Simond said:

Simon,

I suspect you’ll have a bit of a task keeping the river clean, well, dust free, given the Calder wasn’t getting a blue bathing award in those days.  Have you a plan?

it occurs to me that maybe arranging a fan to blow gently from under the bridge might discourage dust landing on it.

atb

Simon

And of course a small scent dispenser would then add smellovision to the process. Whether anyone produces, "Eau de sewage works " I don't know.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 8

12 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks for the suggestion Simon. 
I’ve kept it simple and covered the whole river with sheets of foam board. It’s almost dry now so should be fine tomorrow. 

Hi Simon,

hadn’t thought of it whilst it’s setting off, but of course, that’s really important.

I was thinking more of when you’re on tour, if it’s “staticky” the resin will be a fluff magnet, and the general public are a significant source of dust!

atb

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest Half-full
9 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Ah I see, I’ll just keep the river clean with a squirt of anti static spray and a wipe. Should be fine. Mind you everyone will want to touch it so fingerprints will be the main issue.

And now for something completely different..

I’ve just finished this stolen/abandoned Mini Clubman now up on bricks.

This is located outside the derelict mill and was/is a Corgi diecast 1:43 model.

I began by dismantling it into its component parts. Clearly I needed to have the doors and bonnet open so set to work with the slitting disc tool.

Trouble is with these diecast models the metal is very thick and in real life would probably equate to about 6’’. Good hour therefore before I was able to prise away the doors and bonnet.

Given I’m not modelling Trumps armoured limousine I spent another hour with the slitting disc filing down the door, roof and bonnet thicknesses so they look acceptable.

Once that’s done I butchered a Volvo F10 truck I had handy which donated half its engine and suspension bits. 
These I epoxied in and made the coil springs with decoder wire and thin brass rod.

The original glazing is far too thick to use even in broken form. So I turned to a couple of microscope slides broken up and bits of them glued in with ‘glue & glaze’

Finally the Mini is given a light dusting of dirty black enamel & some superglue drops inside. The fumes from this frost the glass..

To finish I used some Krycell Ice and snow liquid to create the frost. 
This stuff is beloved of military modellers who use it for tanks at the Russian front in WW2.

Bricks are individually built into piles - - again items used by the military modellers.
That’s it..

2EEA5D32-8C25-4885-B8F9-C59A22F55219.jpeg

F3931D42-4D1A-4AC9-A1A3-541D26A568FC.jpeg

8AB9F51E-3745-4BEB-A5CB-1B23C8036BF7.jpeg

My first car (a Mini) looked worse than that!!!!

The Mini looks appropriately decrepit, BMC/BL cars of that era only had to be breathed on to rust to oblivion.  What I do question though is the way the broken windows are represented as neither laminated nor toughened glass breaks like, say, a greenhouse.  Having had recent dealings with Autoglass I was told that even now not many marques use laminated glass on their side and rear windows, apparently Mercedes is one. In the 70s and 80s toughened front windscreens were the order of the day and a simple chip would craze the whole windscreen instantly and make the car undriveable.

• Moderators
On 14/06/2020 at 22:00, jamie92208 said:

1472822987_Film1981-6021.jpg.491960cf737d209d4f8e9c6ff6628b12.jpg

The date's about right to say that could have been my old XR3 at the front of the top deck; lovely stuff Jamie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/06/2020 at 22:50, Adam88 said:

The Mini looks appropriately decrepit, BMC/BL cars of that era only had to be breathed on to rust to oblivion.  What I do question though is the way the broken windows are represented as neither laminated nor toughened glass breaks like, say, a greenhouse.  Having had recent dealings with Autoglass I was told that even now not many marques use laminated glass on their side and rear windows, apparently Mercedes is one. In the 70s and 80s toughened front windscreens were the order of the day and a simple chip would craze the whole windscreen instantly and make the car undriveable.

Well this mini did have the sort of glass that shatters, and coil over springs and a half a Volvo truck engine. It’s also not real it’s a model :) 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The date's about right to say that could have been my old XR3 at the front of the top deck; lovely stuff Jamie.

Mega photos.
The geek in me spots that the first 40 is one of very few with the water tanks removed.

The last one also shows the old New Line’ track bed in the background heading towards Leeds over the viaduct.

Epic. Please post all you have..

Ta 

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Mega photos.
The geek in me spots that the first 40 is one of very few with the water tanks removed.

The last one also shows the old New Line’ track bed in the background heading towards Leeds over the viaduct.

Epic. Please post all you have..

Ta 

Will do Simon.  I keep finding odd ones as I work my way through my negative file. I'll post any I find.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1