Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

And thanks Jamie yes, I’m doing something similar with the backscene. 

Thanks again 

No problem.  I used 3mm birch ply for those which after a coat of primer my friend painted the backscene from photos. The ply was in 5' square sheets from Arnold Laver. For carriage it's stored flat but bends round easily and the paint hasn't flaked. It's good stuff.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1

The sewerage works cometh..

The only pics of the particular area of Cooper Bridge sewerage works (near Mirfield) I’m modelling date from the early ‘60’s which isn’t ideal - especially since it’s partly covered by smoke from a passing 8F.

However I’ve established there were 3 large filter beds (known as trickler beds apparently) a similar size feeder bed complete with steel walkways and a single much smaller trickler bed.

The trickler beds are the ones with rotating booms and I’m planning to motorise all 4. I’ve toyed with making them work with mini sprinklers but shelved that idea for the timebeing. Rigged up a Peco turntable motor too which sounded like a bag of spanners so I’ll be using some 6vdc japanese motors I’d earmarked to motorise a Sherpa van.

So.. the filter beds are all large paint lids that I found. These I sunk into a plywood base with a hole cut out with a jigsaw.

The walkway has taken most of today to fabricate and consists of security fencing (doubling as the steel walkway itself) and soldered brass handrails.

I’ll be adding a life buoy, tool cupboard and a myriad of pipes soon.

Found the ladders in the workshop - by Plastruct.

The other filter beds will sport a brass boom with EZ wire as the guy ropes.

Eventually the feeder bed will get a litre or so of mucky casting resin and the trickler beds crushed coal and gravel.

I’ve also had to construct a new road under bridge which provides access to the beds this side of the track. 
Last pic shows the real feeder bed & walkway.
Just need to mimic the smell now

714AB393-6F8A-423F-B6C6-98C3014AAEED.jpeg

C35C0ECE-596B-48B8-8B40-4C4028AFA4A2.jpeg

9272A5EF-5A40-49E4-B6A4-694E9DECB220.jpeg

FA60C19B-609D-4590-83C5-40F89EA74934.jpeg

F2169C6D-8425-49E0-A27D-0D4C2C196301.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks. The beds I’m modelling are on the opposite side of the river and were built in the ‘60’s.

Interesting photo as Cooper Bridge station is still open and I think that closed in the late 50’s

Ah.

That photo is from 1926. 

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Do you really have to model everything? Can't you leave some of it to the imagination?

If its exhibted at shows that are anything like some that I have visited, certain members the audience will provide the requisitie odours without being asked!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

11 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

If its exhibted at shows that are anything like some that I have visited, certain members the audience will provide the requisitie odours without being asked!

I was about to comment that by mimicking the smell it may mask some of the unwashed visitors that frequent shows (Usually with over stuffed backpacks causing havoc and injury).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Cracked on with the filter beds today, - added what will be the concrete walls and associated pipe work. 

As I mentioned before, the first one will be getting an elaborate walkway the others the moving sprinkler booms..lot of tidying up first 

B6A57C10-D35B-48EC-AF03-3B0B5987BAFF.jpeg

8CA61D15-6F36-4F79-A8BA-6315D54AA241.jpeg

• Like 15

On 30/06/2020 at 19:37, HeatonLodge40 said:

The sewerage works cometh..

The only pics of the particular area of Cooper Bridge sewerage works (near Mirfield) I’m modelling date from the early ‘60’s which isn’t ideal - especially since it’s partly covered by smoke from a passing 8F.

However I’ve established there were 3 large filter beds (known as trickler beds apparently) a similar size feeder bed complete with steel walkways and a single much smaller trickler bed.

The trickler beds are the ones with rotating booms and I’m planning to motorise all 4. I’ve toyed with making them work with mini sprinklers but shelved that idea for the timebeing. Rigged up a Peco turntable motor too which sounded like a bag of spanners so I’ll be using some 6vdc japanese motors I’d earmarked to motorise a Sherpa van.

So.. the filter beds are all large paint lids that I found. These I sunk into a plywood base with a hole cut out with a jigsaw.

The walkway has taken most of today to fabricate and consists of security fencing (doubling as the steel walkway itself) and soldered brass handrails.

I’ll be adding a life buoy, tool cupboard and a myriad of pipes soon.

Found the ladders in the workshop - by Plastruct.

The other filter beds will sport a brass boom with EZ wire as the guy ropes.

Eventually the feeder bed will get a litre or so of mucky casting resin and the trickler beds crushed coal and gravel.

I’ve also had to construct a new road under bridge which provides access to the beds this side of the track. 
Last pic shows the real feeder bed & walkway.
Just need to mimic the smell now

714AB393-6F8A-423F-B6C6-98C3014AAEED.jpeg

C35C0ECE-596B-48B8-8B40-4C4028AFA4A2.jpeg

9272A5EF-5A40-49E4-B6A4-694E9DECB220.jpeg

FA60C19B-609D-4590-83C5-40F89EA74934.jpeg

F2169C6D-8425-49E0-A27D-0D4C2C196301.jpeg

Too clever for me all of this. Fantastic modelling.

• Agree 1

Well you stole my thunder there I was going to post that later.!

However it does describe some static grass techniques and the pour of the casting resin for the recent river.

Luke who presents the video has a unit in the same complex as mine coincidentally. Since he manufactures scenic materials for war gamers and military modellers it’s worked out ok him being round the corner..

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

As those who follow this thread will know I’m also busy filling over 100 HAA’s with crushed coal. However I’ve also 25 Cargowaggen flats to load with steel. 
After trawling the internet I acquired a quantity of circular & square plastic rod which I’m cutting into lengths for steel loads. 
Normally I use Alclad steel colour paint as it gives a superb rendition of the real thing. However it’s expensive to use in large quantities so I’ve been experimenting with rattle cans.

By the way the florists foam is great for holding items to paint.
After trying 4 or 5 makes, the stuff pictured is the best I could find. Cheapest source was Sprayster.com

F8B4FFC5-29C5-4558-8EC4-1DB6559D0457.jpeg

E9BFFFC6-D8B2-455A-831A-E6E29F23D08C.jpeg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

On a final note I thought I’d been clever in locating a large amount of ultra fine chain to secure the steel loads I’m making to fit the Heljan Cargowaggens.

So this turned up in the post today. :rolleyes:

633A401A-CF22-4D55-95AF-0BECBD5B9AB2.jpeg

For HL v2.0 in  gauge 3?

Regards

Ian

• Funny 6

Although I've seen various YouTube clips of Heaton Lodge I only found this thread last Tuesday, since then I've worked my way through all the postings every evening after work.

I must say that I'm exhausted and amazed, both by your stamina and enthusiasm for this project together with your obvious talents and gift of being able to observe and recreate such detail on your railway.

Although you are working single-handedly you are, quite rightly, not afraid to call in professional help when required.

Bravo Simon and I raise my glass to you!

Cheers

Richard T

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1