Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

Although I've seen various YouTube clips of Heaton Lodge I only found this thread last Tuesday, since then I've worked my way through all the postings every evening after work.

I must say that I'm exhausted and amazed, both by your stamina and enthusiasm for this project together with your obvious talents and gift of being able to observe and recreate such detail on your railway.

Although you are working single-handedly you are, quite rightly, not afraid to call in professional help when required.

Bravo Simon and I raise my glass to you!

Cheers

Richard T

Ditto

You have definitely hit the nail on the head............

I think we are all amazed at the dedication that Simon has done in producing such a childhood memory masterpiece 

• Agree 3

Thanks Richard and everyone else who has given messages of support. 

Makes a big difference when I’m not having the best of days.!

Today however I’ve been painting hundreds of cut sections of styrene rod before priming them and painting a wood colour using Lifecolor paints.

At 5.5cm long (roughly 8ft in ‘0’) these are to represent the planks used to separate steel loads on the Cargowaggens. 

CC8E4B36-014F-428C-95B0-18C73CEB571D.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Simon,

I hope you’re never in any doubt that what you’re doing is utterly amazing, and the envy of 99.83% (approximately!) of everyone who has ever heard of the project.

If you ever are lacking in mojo, just remember there’s a whole hoard of modellers out here are rooting for you, and willing you onwards to finish and display what will be an undoubted icon, and landmark, in British modelling.

Stick at it, and if you’re having a bad day at the office, let us know, there’ll probably be a dozen suggestions, and I bet that at least some of them will be helpful!

we’re with you!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 15

4 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

The scratchbuilt gates now have the Yorkshire Water logo although this is too modern - in the 1980’s it was a white rose. Pinning a copy of this down is proving difficult.

Here are a couple of versions of (I think) the logo you mean. They are taken from the Annual Reports from the early 1990s (Yorkshire Water was listed in 1989) so aren't great resolution or quality - they are scans from microfiches at Companies House - but with a bit of digital fettling might be ok, given the scale. The version seems a slightly better quality scan, and could be inverted fairly easily.

1388131867_Screenshot2020-07-24at8_57_00PM.png.99cebb2203174c045ef31598c4dea9af.png

154373756_Screenshot2020-07-24at8_57_27PM.png.29aee47b58a0ba9b4ceec44c98f5d6bd.png

You might have more joy with further research at Companies House. Note the company is now called Kelda Group.

Edited by ed1234
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, ed1234 said:

Here are a couple of versions of (I think) the logo you mean. They are taken from the Annual Reports from the early 1990s (Yorkshire Water was listed in 1989) so aren't great resolution or quality - they are scans from microfiches at Companies House - but with a bit of digital fettling might be ok, given the scale. The version seems a slightly better quality scan, and could be inverted fairly easily.

1388131867_Screenshot2020-07-24at8_57_00PM.png.99cebb2203174c045ef31598c4dea9af.png

154373756_Screenshot2020-07-24at8_57_27PM.png.29aee47b58a0ba9b4ceec44c98f5d6bd.png

You might have more joy with further research at Companies House. Note the company is now called Kelda Group.

That’s super thanks very much, I didn’t think of companies house. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2020 at 22:43, HeatonLodge40 said:

D5B2C731-00E4-4CE5-83D3-63441103931E.jpeg

I think there are several processes in a sewage plant; one is an aeration of the material and it does have sort of whirlpools in it.  However, I think this is a fairly early stage of the process and the material is less - urrmmm - clear!  It will have rather more colour to it (do I need to say which one) and will have slightly more white froth in several locations in the bed where the air is pumped in.

The later processes are to spill the now rather more clear liquid over filters.  This is where you see the sprinklers slowly going around an almost black filter bed.

Possibly worth doing a bit or research into the processes, as I am no expert its just my train used to go past them each day; Hersham I think they were!  There is bound to be a British Standard on it somewhere!

I enjoy your thread by the way.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/07/2020 at 08:37, HeatonLodge40 said:

That’s super thanks very much, I didn’t think of companies house. 

This is a great layout and right in my modelling era of the 1980's. On the subject of the Yorkshire Water company logo, there is one before the white rose one,that was used up until around 1990. It is shown in this picture on the Bedford Astravan.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/midestpics/18532188225/in/photolist-ueCiUD-xnhk7y-2jefe8h-2jfPzVM-2jefe7F-2jefe6U-2jei51S-2ipW3Th-nRiVXJ-eRNZt5-eegja2-o1X7td-eeNurh-pXxMjY-ebgVDG-25p5WwD-dtukXi-dscMKz-dtfN4G-pHfS8A-A9FbUq-2j1ZGWy-nzMi3S-2jfPH4Q-AdvZxb

On 20/07/2020 at 21:15, Growling said:

Forget the Cargowaggons. The Tesco bag steals the show! :D

Not being picky - only some historical info..... I appreciate this bag may have blow in on the wind, thrown out of train window, or whatever - but Mirfield didn't have a Tesco until May1987, when the Hillards chain was bought out by Tesco. The Hillards store was within the premises which are currently a 'BetFred' and a Hansons opticians.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1