Heaton Lodge Junction

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

After spending hours last year trawling the internet for a suitable 1:43 road tanker I eventually got 15 direct from IXO - a Spanish company that makes exquisite O gauge models.

Unfortunately these model road tankers are 1990’s era with 3 axles so I’ve just spent the last hour with a slitting disc cutting out one axle and shortening the mudguards as a trial. I’ll repaint these in Pattersons colours when I’ve time and add a bit of detail. 

Pictured is a (crap) photo of one of the original Pattersons road tankers and another pic of my butchery on one of the lovely IXO models.

The IXO models are lovely and the tankers look good 15 of them must have cost a pretty penny though!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Work started yesterday on the Bermuda Triangle. So named as this is where the trains disappear :smile_mini2:

I’m determined to make this triangle a big feature now although it was never part of the original plan. 

With 20ft of fields at its widest part I’m making the scenery removable over the lower tracks which are hidden, and the rest on the aforementioned trolleys which will push into place to fill the space.

Today I’ve been making the removable top covers from ply for the apex of the Bermuda triangle. 
Apart from ply I’ve used a lot of foam board to block out the light as I want the long tunnels totally black.

The temporary bridge in the pics (yet to be sawn in half) will be the third scenic break - the back scene wrapping around this and the second bridge/scenic break nearby. A road will link the two bridges.

The river will be extended and curve away (and be removable as it’ll be built on a trolley.)
Should have it done in a couple weeks. 

Simon, You certainly don't believe in making life easy for yourself do you?

Mind you it will look superb and give the layout a huge amount of depth in this area. 

Jim

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, jcarta said:

Simon, You certainly don't believe in making life easy for yourself do you?

Mind you it will look superb and give the layout a huge amount of depth in this area. 

Jim

I’m more worried about what I’m going to do when it’s finished Jim.

Even tho I plan on having a big sofa mounted next to the junction on an elevated fabricated metal stand (seriously), there’s only so much time I can lounge on it watching trains go by with my binoculars and a fridge full of beer.

I was discussing yesterday with the two chaps installing the automation (and doing a fantastic job) the possibility of using the fiddle yard for another layout curving in the opposite direction in the future.

Pondering this maybe it could include 9ft high floor to ceiling moorland scenery mounted on aluminium box section and another 200ft run but just double track. :smile_mini2:

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Pondering this maybe it could include 9ft high floor to ceiling moorland scenery mounted on aluminium box section and another 200ft run but just double track. :smile_mini2:

Thus creating a world shortage of static grass!

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I was discussing yesterday with the two chaps installing the automation (and doing a fantastic job) the possibility of using the fiddle yard for another layout curving in the opposite direction in the future.

I'll tell you whose mad...:crazy_mini:

Have you sought help for your condition? I'm sure it must be available! :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

:O :swoon: :good:

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’m more worried about what I’m going to do when it’s finished Jim.

Let me help you with this one ...... You will be helping us with the scenery on Ayr Road 

Even tho I plan on having a big sofa mounted next to the junction on an elevated fabricated metal stand (seriously), there’s only so much time I can lounge on it watching trains go by with my binoculars and a fridge full of beer.

You bring the fridge and binoculars', I'll bring the beers and the train spotters notebook 

(Maybe you could wallpaper the loo!!!! :D

Yes, Yes, Yes ..... More to see

I / we are just impressed with your enthusiasm 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1