Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold

Really impressive photo's of the layout, showing every fine piece of detail you painstakingly made and placed to perfection. Well done of the 1.2 milestone. A wonderful achievement.

Well, if the layout cant go out due to the covid situation, you could always invite several members of RMWeb in small groups of 5 for a private viewings!!!!  or start up some model tutoring lessons, similar to what Pendon puts on. I bet there would be several folks who would love to learn the skills and techniques that you have developed!!

Sign me up!!

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks Ian yes the Covid thing has stopped it going anywhere for a while.

I’m not averse to having people over for a visit especially all those like yourself who’ve offered nothing but support over the past 7 years.

Perhaps Andy York on here could maybe organise an RM web visit when we know what limitations we’ll be faced with.

There would need to be a lot of bodies to present a social distancing issue down there!

As for modelling techniques I’m about half way through the book I’m writing :)

...which includes every technique, product and idea used.

I will pre-order the book now, and keeping my fingers crossed that Mr York can come up with a cunning plan to get us all there. Happy to donate to the cause, or make tea, wash up etc.....whatever you need!

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

OR, we could all be patient and wait until we can see HL in public. Simon deserves to start seeing a return on his huge investment in time and money.

I agree but.....

....we don't know when that will be, might even be years away yet.

I wouldn't mind stumping up cash plus extra for say charity to come and see this  huge blast from the past. Even if it costs more than having to pay entrance fees at an exhibition. Not much chance of people getting in the way of enjoying full length trains here! 

But at least there wouldn't be any travelling cost for the crew and lorries involved in moving and setting this beast up. Its up to Simon to decide if he wants a public viewing or a trickle of people to be the first ones to see it in action. Unfortunately covid has put paid to some options this year and maybe next.

Be safe people 

• RMweb Gold

As Simon himself is in favour, I really don't see a problem.

There will be benefits too, a full dress rehearsal will always show up unexpected things that will need addressing.

Ideas/suggestions from, ahem, knowledgeable people!!!

Discovering pinch-points where people would naturally congregate and thus requiring "social distancing" measures to be arranged.

learning what is, and is not, so appreciated from an operating session in front of an audience.

etc, etc...

Of course, those lucky enough to win one of the "golden tickets", to Willy Wonka's Mill, can be made well aware of the terms of attendance (thinking masks/ distancing protocols here) in advance and before being admitted.

I must admit that I too was thinking about the potential loss of attendance when the show eventually gets on the road, but I don't see the numbers involved here being much of an issue and I will still attend the layout when it goes on the road.

Kev.

Edited by SHMD
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Joner said:

I agree but.....

....we don't know when that will be, might even be years away yet.

I wouldn't mind stumping up cash plus extra for say charity to come and see this  huge blast from the past. Even if it costs more than having to pay entrance fees at an exhibition. Not much chance of people getting in the way of enjoying full length trains here! 

But at least there wouldn't be any travelling cost for the crew and lorries involved in moving and setting this beast up. Its up to Simon to decide if he wants a public viewing or a trickle of people to be the first ones to see it in action. Unfortunately covid has put paid to some options this year and maybe next.

Be safe people 

Once too many people have jumped the gun and attended private viewings, then plastered the forums and YouTube with images and video, you run the risk of losing the anticipation and desire to see the layout in public. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Once too many people have jumped the gun and attended private viewings, then plastered the forums and YouTube with images and video, you run the risk of losing the anticipation and desire to see the layout in public. 

I don't think any YouTube video or image elsewhere will prepare you for the size of this layout nor impair the desire to actually see it in person

• Agree 3

and, it's easy to say "leave your cameras and phones at the door, folks".  You pay to see it, not record it. 

Apparently this is becoming an issue in theatres again, with people filming or recording stand-up, which is a pretty daft thing to do.

If Simon wants to sell the book, photos, video, whatever, then he obviously can.

I'd happily pay to travel, and the ticket price to see it.  And I'll buy the book.

maybe it can become a sort of son-of-Pendon...?

atb

Simon (another one)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

I for one would go several times a year to see HLJ. I don't mind not taking pictures or video or signing some disclaimer as not to release them on any sort of social media etc ( I'm not on Facebook etc). I would very much appreciate a private viewing rather than trying to peer over somebody's shoulder or being pushed out the way just because someone else can't wait. Why wouldn't I? But I very much doubt I would be one of the lucky few to attend anyway.

So at the moment let me enjoy the thought!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

That implies that it has taken over 25 years to date and a whole vast team of people have been involved during those years. :P

I bet you don't fancy taking Pendon on the road either! ;)

• Agree 1

I can’t help thinking this will be wasted on the public .

theyll be wanting a Hornby station and a plastic tunnel like the Alps .

like everyone’s said you could easily get a never ending supply of modellers stumping up some funds to watch .

• Agree 1