Heaton Lodge Junction

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I can’t help thinking this will be wasted on the public .

theyll be wanting a Hornby station and a plastic tunnel like the Alps .

like everyone’s said you could easily get a never ending supply of modellers stumping up some funds to watch .

You make a good point.

However I’m quietly confident the public will appreciate it as well as us modellers.

I say that cos I often get both male and females dropping by from the businesses surrounding the mill.

The women especially, spend half an hour just looking at the scenery and searching out the detail. Men just want to watch the trains rumble by.
Might even pitch it to the artists of this world too?
Anyway I guess I’ll find out (next year now)

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Can you imagine this epic at Warley ?

I’m packing three elbows and 2 rucksacks !

The Security Guards would have to chuck everyone out, because after all the punters have gone the layout will be surrounded by Exhibitors who haven't had a chance to get near it all day.

Might turn into a 24 hour Exhibition :lol:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

The Security Guards would have to chuck everyone out, because after all the punters have gone the layout will be surrounded by Exhibitors who haven't had a chance to get near it all day.

Might turn into a 24 hour Exhibition :lol:

The end of show "Stick all the wagons we have got behind one loco and see how long a train we can get"special should be a sight to see. That is assuming the Heljan loco on the front doesn't try and move as otherwise the main NEC power supply will trip and plunge the hall into darkness... 

• Funny 8

You seem to have completed the impossible - made an O gauge layout that fits into the main reason for a large N gauge layout - railway in the scenery.

This is now like one of the many Settle & Carlisle or Peak District N layouts of yore (even the 009 Stealth bomber) but done magnificently in 0.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

There will be a number of binoculars on each end to spot them approaching!

Bu33er binoculars; you need the Hubble telescope.

Even though I can put it all into context having visited it's still unbelievable in scope.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Les Johnson said:

Getting even better by the day! Meant to ask you the other day, what size cable do you use for droppers and bus bar, and how do you find the suitcase connectors with regard to conductivity and ease of use?

regrds Les

Hi Les,

I get the scotchlok/suitcase connectors from a company called Spalding Fasteners.
They supply the 3M manufactured ones (as opposed to the cheap Chinese copies which are very unreliable).

That said I must have had a faulty batch as just today I couldn’t get power on any of the Huddersfield line curves at all.

Turns out the scotchlok connectors were all failing due to blunt ‘blades’ inside. So I’m going to have to rewire all this section now.

Prior to this though they have been fine and are used over the whole layout.

Bus wires are 4mm & droppers 2.5mm all from ‘Rapid Online’. 
I deliberately over specced the cables for obvious reasons.

On normal O gauge layouts (or should I say sensible ones) 2.5mm is fine for the main bus.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The video on the Great train show/ Hornby Mag really showed off the layout which I enjoyed today. The shear scale of the layout and the level of detail and research that you have put in is fantastic. Even to the point my other half said to me "do you want to build something that big?  "Have to say no, the buildings g I build as a day job are large enough howe ever it is encouraging me to get on with modelling again. 

I will I'll keep an eye out for any further videos.  

• Like 6

On 08/10/2020 at 11:59, Les Johnson said:

Thanks so much. Do you happen to have a 3M reference no for your scotchlocks

Les

https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/electrical-scotchlock-wire-low-voltage-connector-terminals/

These are what I’ve always used.

Further to my comments on them earlier, the issue wasn’t faulty blades inside after all.

Turns out the two sizes of wires (bus/dropper) was too great in thickness so the yellow connectors weren’t gripping the dropper wire. 

Lesson learnt - use the appropriate colour scotchloks for the wire thickness.

On a different subject I’ll update on progress at the end of this week.

Plus I’ll announce a series of plans I’ve been working on for next year (now that Covid looks to have scuppered much of next years exhibitions too) 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1