Heaton Lodge Junction

• Moderators
Just now, Denbridge said:

An apology is called for.

You can't always have what you want just because you ask for it. I thought your post, following others, was particularly mean-spirited and didn't need to be said.

No apology and if you want to keep niggling I'll just remove access.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Simond said:

yes but it’s a thin line between churlish moaning and useful feedback.  

atb

Simon (a different one)

As

I feel his subsequent post is illuminating in terms of character, the initial comment certainly wasn't 'useful feedback'. I just get fed up with whinging about anything and everything on here.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

It is a shame, but then again they are in a basement and I have no idea what the quality of connectivity is. 
they know they have a problem, and hopefully they can find a solution to improve it a bit for tomorrow 

That's far more understanding and supportive! Thank you.

• Like 2

It’s a shame that Simon’s excellent layout thread pages, are now being clogged up by discussions about the transmission from the MIOG live event !! 

Stay safe

Craig 

Edited by muddys-blues
To add the word excellent
  • Like 1
  • Agree 11

What we are watching is something as railway modellers we have all done. This is the first - very first - time we run our railway as we imagined it in our mind’s eye. Yes it is exciting, and yes it is a learning curve. This is wonderful to watch, and what a layout to watch it happen on. Of course the scale is epic, and the glitches are there to see and improve upon, but we can all share and savour this moment. First proper running session. Brilliant. 

I love it. Well done Simon!

Best wishes, Chris. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

I have to say that class 56 does look the business,  the cab detail in particular is a few notches above their class 37 sat in bits on the bench in front of me. Great effort by Heljan there.

Edited by 37114
Spelling
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just as a matter of interest, all the MGR's seem to have shiny wheel faces on both wheels that can be seen, are the non disc braked wheels not yet weathered?

Mike.

Hi Mike, 

yes well spotted. 
Haven’t got around to it yet but it’s on the cards. Thats speed weathering for you 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2020 at 15:46, woodenhead said:

I reckon this layout could be a contender for a live webcam on Railcam :D

And get a cam at the real location as well. It will confuse the heck out of some people :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Giles said:

I sincerely doubt that anything in model railway terms as extraordinary as this will ever be achieved again.

This is not to denigrate the superb HLJ or it's builder, but that's been said before in the past a few times!

I think it's a natural progression that "better" (using the term in it's most literal sense) layouts will come along, especially as the hobby develops, whilst do-able, would HLJ have existed without, for example, the RTR stock of Heljan happening along, probably, but with somewhat more effort and commitment.

Mike.

Mike

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

This is not to denigrate the superb HLJ or it's builder, but that's been said before in the past a few times!

I think it's a natural progression that "better" (using the term in it's most literal sense) layouts will come along, especially as the hobby develops, whilst do-able, would HLJ have existed without, for example, the RTR stock of Heljan happening along, probably, but with somewhat more effort and commitment.

Mike.

Mike

Of course I'm talking about the layout as a whole......  :D

I very much hope you're right, Mike - I'm rather struggling to conceive of it though!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Those last pics of the 56 have inspired me.! 
I shall have to add some newspapers and crew to the 56 before it goes back to Brian. 
In fact digressing somewhat, the MIOG event at the weekend meant HLJ was used for the very first time, as its meant to be. i.e with all 28 fiddle yard roads being used constantly.

It revealed some small issues with faulty droppers etc which were easy fixed. 
Since then I’ve got no modelling done as I’m running trains all day. I knew this would happen..

New video on the 56 is being put together at the moment..

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's not "running trains", it's extensive testing. Sadly I lost a lot of photos some years ago, some were taken whilst standing at 554 signal looking back towards Mirfield. The train was probably empties returning to Stanlow and as I didn't transfer to Victoria until '86 it would have around '89 or '90.  

Fabulous - thank you! I'm looking forward to more. Just one thing.... Memory is a strange thing, and is easily clouded by the passage of time. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am...), but I seemed to recall that the full coal loads always seemed to flow West, toward the Lancashire and beyond power stations, whilst the empties flowed back East for refilling in the Yorkshire coal field. Perhaps the Eastbound full loads had come from such places as Bold Colliery (St.Helens) and Agecroft (near Pendlebury), which were still open until mid 1980's. 

It would be great for someone with better memory than me could enlighten please?

There plenty of pictures of MGR traffic on Flickr in the Calder Valley, all seem to show loads west bound. I also never witnessed any loads running via the LNW route (doesn't mean it never happened)as the climb out of Huddesfield would have been arduous,but spectacular, even for a 56 up to Marsden . I did once work an empty back towards HM via Huddesfield it was unusual for a Vic driver to get on MGR traffic in the late 80's, I also recall it was 47 hauled making it rare for that era. I have also never seen pictures of MGR workings out of Bold or Agecroft again that doesn't mean it didn't happen.