Heaton Lodge Junction

As said countless times in this thread, the project is stunning and the scale of the layout is beyond comprehension. 

Great idea on the live streaming! Love to see a camera from inside of a detailed cab - it would look like a train simulator!

I played about with an idea about 12 months ago of live streaming with the ability of viewers to select what happens next. The idea came about from playing about with some Arduino autom ation (stopping at red lights, waiting in a siding etc), but rather than a pre-planned programme, a user could select the next action; the next train to stop at the station, speed to do a circuit etc - but unfortunately I just didn't/don't have the time to commit to making it work.

If you're working on live streaming and automation, something similar shouldn't be too difficult. It would make the whole layout incredibly interactive, especially if it's going to be online only for the foreseeable.

Just make sure there are plenty of failsafes in place to stop people speeding and causing collisions! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Are the coffee cups there as an incentive to lay the fencing, a railway take on the carrot and donkey?!!

Mike.

Yea it’s annoying cos the tea urn is the other side of the layout which now requires getting on hands and knees to access. 

On another note once Healey Mills at the other side is finished next year I’ve been working out there should be 9 x 56’s, 3 x 47’s, 5 x 40’s, 3 x 31’s 7 x 37’s and a few 08’s actually ‘based’ there.
So they will basically live ‘on shed’ rarely going onto the main lines.

I’m really looking forward to constructing HM which will of course be fully manual.

With 8 large gantry towers lighting up the yard it should be great fun 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

On another note once Healey Mills at the other side is finished next year I’ve been working out there should be 9 x 56’s, 3 x 47’s, 5 x 40’s, 3 x 31’s 7 x 37’s and a few 08’s actually ‘based’ there.
So they will basically live ‘on shed’ rarely going onto the main lines.

I just need to get my spotters book and camera then

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Yea it’s annoying cos the tea urn is the other side of the layout which now requires getting on hands and knees to access. 

Is there not enough space in the middle?   :jester:

Kev.

2 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Track circuit transmitters.. made of brass rod end slices. Cables yet to glue on and join to the rail as per the prototype, then weathering 

5CB0CCA9-A936-43C8-8F70-2815820B4A10.jpeg

Hi,

Sorry to be pedantic, but they will actually be the Track Tuning Units or End Tuning Units for the Audio Frequency Track Circuits, rather than the transmitters themselves, the transmitters are housed in nearby Location Cases.

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Problem solved!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beverages-Backpack-Mulled-Coffee-Without/dp/B01BGMDUCU

Mike.

• Funny 2

On 10/11/2020 at 13:07, SHMD said:

Is there not enough space in the middle?   :jester:

Kev.

I'd be going for the full height spotters bridge...located right above where the one is on HLJ :).  

Being serious, is there enough height to do that in the basement?  Could you build a bridge over the layout, and still have 6'6" above? It might be far more comfortable than ducking under the layout.

James

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Les Johnson said:

Simon, just looked back over90% of this to find brass ferns but can’t see what make. Are they Scalelink or what? Can you remember?

many thanks Les

Hi Les I started off using Scalelink. However I ended up having 100 large sheets specially made as the amount I needed would have cost a fortune.!

8 hours ago, peach james said:

I'd be going for the full height spotters bridge...located right above where the one is on HLJ :).  

Being serious, is there enough height to do that in the basement?  Could you build a bridge over the layout, and still have 6'6" above? It might be far more comfortable than ducking under the layout.

James

James I’ve thought of that but there isn’t the height sadly. !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

Looks like Simon O made a nice job of the trolleys....! He does an excellent job for us - mainly subframes for changing room bench seating.

Very grateful to you for that contact Andrew. He’s a top chap and they are superbly made

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

A very short clip here but shows what maybe achievable with weather effects in the future.

Using a backscene that rises up and over the layout which can then project mist, and what looks like rain I’m pretty sure can be done 

Made me shiver watching that! You should have warned us we'd need a coat...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

A very short clip here but shows what maybe achievable with weather effects in the future.

Using a backscene that rises up and over the layout which can then project mist, and what looks like rain I’m pretty sure can be done

The sountrack is very effective, too. I subconsciously looked out of the window to check how heavy the rain was!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/11/2020 at 11:07, KNP said:

Very effective, I would, and probably others, be interested to see how that was done?

Haven’t a clue sorry!
Jonathan one of the software chaps wrote the effects over the original video.

However I'm certain weather can be replicated with a wrap around back screen and some special effects going forward..

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1