Heaton Lodge Junction

17 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Not much modelling this week for a change. What I did do is adding detail to the Huddersfield double tracks on the upper level. 

However I did run Heljans new 56 for a full 8 hours last week on an Eastbound MGR train - I’d been wanting to do this for a while.

Totting it up I’m pretty sure it covered around 7 miles (which is, ironically about 5 times the length of the real Heaton Lodge Junction) by the time it was shut down at 6pm.

The trusty old kit built Romanian 56009  is also seen here heading west a minute or two later. The sound file on this is so much better, hopefully it’ll soon appear on the Heljan 56 

56064 is booked in for an oil and wheel clean tomorrow 

Totally agree with you about the sound on the kit built 'Commie.'
Watching that clip took me back to watching these trains on that line.
Incidently, I 'copped' both of these locos. The 'Commie' at Didcot I seem to remember.:lol:

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Not much modelling this week for a change. What I did do is adding detail to the Huddersfield double tracks on the upper level. 

However I did run Heljans new 56 for a full 8 hours last week on an Eastbound MGR train - I’d been wanting to do this for a while.

Totting it up I’m pretty sure it covered around 7 miles (which is, ironically about 5 times the length of the real Heaton Lodge Junction) by the time it was shut down at 6pm.

The trusty old kit built Romanian 56009  is also seen here heading west a minute or two later. The sound file on this is so much better, hopefully it’ll soon appear on the Heljan 56 

Hi Simon,

Great stuff as usual. I'd be interested to know how you clean the track on HLJ and do you have to clean the scenery regularly?

18 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

3 hours ago, Crepello said:

Hi Simon,

Great stuff as usual. I'd be interested to know how you clean the track on HLJ and do you have to clean the scenery regularly?

Ah now there’s a question. Cleaning the track is an utter nightmare. 
Because I’m still working on it, I’m not running trains regularly on all 4 main lines & the 28 fiddle yard roads. 
Therefore tarnish appears after a few days and won’t come off with anything other than a track rubber. 
Ive tried every track rubber on sale and the best one by far is the Peco one. It leaves a little bit of residue but nothing like others I could mention.

To clean all the lines inc the fiddle yard takes 18 Peco track rubbers and 4 hrs.

If anyone knows of a way to get tarnish off the rails without a track rubber I’d love to know! I realise once trains are running regularly I’ll just use a track cleaning wagon.

Cleaning scenery - I vac all the tracks regularly but simply spray matt varnish over all the scenery (10 cans). 
It immediately brings colour back and the dust just adds more texture :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Because I’m still working on it, I’m not running trains regularly on all 4 main lines & the 28 fiddle yard roads. 
Therefore tarnish appears after a few days and won’t come off with anything other than a track rubber. 
Ive tried every track rubber on sale and the best one by far is the Peco one. It leaves a little bit of residue but nothing like others I could mention.

To clean all the lines inc the fiddle yard takes 18 Peco track rubbers and 4 hrs.

If anyone knows of a way to get tarnish off the rails without a track rubber I’d love to know! I realise once trains are running regularly I’ll just use a track cleaning wagon.

Cleaning scenery - I vac all the tracks regularly but simply spray matt varnish over all the scenery (10 cans). 
It immediately brings colour back and the dust just adds more texture :)

You're in O gauge with a monster trainset - I think you might need to consider something radical.

Have you considered changing your locos to battery driven remote control - your track will then never need cleaning beyond a vacuum every once in a while for dust.

True cab control then as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Respect.

That one sentence tells you all you need to know about the scale of this project.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon

i ditched Peco track rubbers some time ago, couldn’t put up with the degree of “clag” they produce, however I do model in 00.

Have you tried the DCC Concepts track rubber- best I’ve ever come across. Leaves practically no residue, it’s made from aluminium oxide. Best way is simply to polish with it not put a lot of pressure on. No link to them just a very happy customer .

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

Have you tried graphite on the rails (once they're clean, obviously)?

I was skeptical about it, but used it on my shunting plank (different scale to your layout, in many ways!) but was surprised how well it protects the rails & stops tarnishing.

Jonathan

6 hours ago, LongRail said:

What about a CMX track cleaning truck, I have the 00 gauge one and it works well.

I have seen in a  couple of places that use of a track rubber can damage the rail head which allow dirt to collect even more.

Yes I’ve got a CMX track cleaning truck but it won’t remove tarnish. Great for track that’s dirty but not tarnished tho

4 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Yes the Peco one does that as it’s very abrasive. However the DCC Concepts one doesn’t at all. Simply polishes the rail head. Oh and when it gets dirty it can be washed and it’s as good as new.

I tried it Roger maybe I was scrubbing it too hard, I’ll retry it but be a bit gentler 

2 hours ago, jrb said:

Simon,

Have you tried graphite on the rails (once they're clean, obviously)?

I was skeptical about it, but used it on my shunting plank (different scale to your layout, in many ways!) but was surprised how well it protects the rails & stops tarnishing.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan I’ve got some graphite pencils for this reason I’ll actually try these now you’ve mentioned it!

On 23/11/2020 at 17:47, HeatonLodge40 said:

If anyone knows of a way to get tarnish off the rails without a track rubber I’d love to know! I

Hi Simon,

I can recommend the following for ease of removing tarnish from track work:

https://www.buckandhickman.com/en/shop/products/details/3945469/ROEBUCK-FLEXIBLE-MULTI-PURPOSE-POLISHER-FINE

I first made acquaintance with them whilst observing fitters using them to provide a blemish free finish on stainless steel panels which were then installed in a clean room environment.

Being large they do both rails at once and don't crumble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...