Heaton Lodge Junction

On 05/12/2020 at 18:07, HeatonLodge40 said:

Been rather a stressful week I don’t mind admitting. 
It’s been at the back of my mind for some time - given the sheer size of HLJ, and the constant testing work the locos are undergoing, I needed to get a proper maintenance schedule sorted out.

This all came to a head on Wednesday when a (prearranged) film crew arrived to capture footage of HLJ. As well as putting up with multiple locos stuttering (despite the track being clean) they just missed kit built 56009 lose all its wheels from the front bogie before collapsing on its side like a dead pig.

So I've now stopped modelling temporarily so all locomotives can go through an 'A’ exam which by my definition is wheel clean, pickup clean & oiling gearbox & axles. 
Have to say I put a 46 (and my pet Colas 60) through it today and both now run perfectly.

With a couple dozen Heljan locos due to land next year I’m going to have to be much more disciplined with maintenance from now on.

Added to which I’m going to offload much of the kit built traction cos they seem to have between them a similar traffic availability of a real Clayton Class 17.  

Incidentally the camera crew were filming for another series next year celebrating Hornby’s centennial. Whilst HLJ has little to do with that subject they are devoting a whole episode to HLJ which is very flattering. They are due back after Christmas to film at the real location. Should be aired in March next year I believe. :)

There’s even 5 minutes on static grass! 

0BD8BCF5-39B8-467F-9650-44626F13B59B.jpeg

8BDFF269-A82F-4FDF-99B8-7374D1B37E19.jpeg

2BA6E8F1-57BF-4DD6-80CD-6CF8D8303A42.jpeg

36F52093-DDD2-47BF-B0E3-83CF27DAA483.jpeg

If you cherish it - Pledge it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/12/2020 at 13:53, HeatonLodge40 said:

No drying time at all needed just bang on 2/3 layers and let it all dry 

Given the scale of this layout, I feel this advice is like the old joke about painting the Eiffel Tower, in that on Heaton Lodge by the time you've finished one layer, it's been a week since you started and of course it's dry!

Great stuff - enjoyed the video very much.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Your favourite place ??????

I think you'll find this is a lot of peoples favourite place now and I can't think why LOL :D

Merry Christmas Simon and I hope we will see all your hard work in the New Year

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jcarta said:

Your favourite place ??????

I think you'll find this is a lot of peoples favourite place now and I can't think why LOL :D

Merry Christmas Simon and I hope we will see all your hard work in the New Year

Jim

Thank you you too and may I once again also thank all those who have frequently posted support on here and PM’d me.

Really made a huge difference, especially when it’s been a day of massive frustration and a sledgehammer looks tempting.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

First post of the year, hopefully a better year for us all. 

I’m cracking on during January finishing the triangular section of scenery. 
Basically I make a list of all the details to add (once I’ve completed the static grass) which is what I’ve been doing today. 

I’ve allowed two weeks to get all this done after which I’m going to start assembling all the lighting gantries, which provide light from the front and above. 

414D0402-26D6-4803-B4EA-CC219A9AB1B9.jpeg

Happy New Year to yo Simon

Triangle is starting to take shape. That is a nice loco line up especially when seen from a passing train....:good:

Jim

• Agree 1

Greetings from a fellow Wakey based modeller. Just catching up with the last couple of month’s updates and this is a late response to the track cleaning plea for help. I use thick (1/8”) balsa wood, cut into credit-card sized pieces. Dip a cotton bud into methylated spirit and soak one edge along the grain. This can then be rubbed along both rails with the grain of the balsa across the track. This wears 2 grooves in the balsa which make it easier to locate the cleaner on the track. The balsa doesn’t leave particles behind like a track rubber does and one piece can be used several times by varying its position on the track. The methylated spirit should be re-applied every so often. I’ve found this method to work really well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

I have joined this group due to this blog.

Can I just add to the praise for this project, it is a fantastic effort of blood, sweat, tears (no doubt) and perseverance. The skills and efforts are fantastic and I would like to congratulate Simon and all whose work has made it possible. Your continued efforts, sustained for so long, make me ashamed at my paltry efforts.

I hope you have a successful New Year and remain virus free.

Tony

Edited by T0ny
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, d winpenny said:

Cracking update well done on completing the main scenic section, as ever looking forward to all the process but particularly the Healey Mills section spent many an hour sat by the water tanks watching the trains 

dave

Me too Dave I used to sit on the embankment near the signal gantry.

I remember seeing a 37/0 pulling in a set of brand new Class 314 emu’s, still don’t know why to this day. They were new in ‘79 so must have been around then.

Good days eh

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Crepello said:

I have to say that the adverts at the foot of the screen on this excellent thread are highly annoying. It would be nice to know how I can get rid of them. Does Gold membership enable this?

I think so - I don't see any.

(but you should check!).

Tony

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crepello said:

I have to say that the adverts at the foot of the screen on this excellent thread are highly annoying. It would be nice to know how I can get rid of them. Does Gold membership enable this?

I don't know about memberships, but if you install an adblocker in your browser it will get rid of all the adverts

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1