Heaton Lodge Junction

6 hours ago, Crepello said:

I have to say that the adverts at the foot of the screen on this excellent thread are highly annoying. It would be nice to know how I can get rid of them. Does Gold membership enable this?

2 hours ago, deltic9014 said:

I don't know about memberships, but if you install an adblocker in your browser it will get rid of all the adverts

Install uBlock Origin for your browser. https://ublockorigin.com/

Edited by Donington Road
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, deltic9014 said:

I don't know about memberships, but if you install an adblocker in your browser it will get rid of all the adverts

And when the adverts are gone and the forum closes we'll all have more time on our hands.....:banghead:

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Been a couple of weeks of doing mundane frustrating jobs, mainly involving the backscene at the very far west end.

Great to see it moving forward - the scale of the project is so massive I have to keep reminding myself that it's not OO gauge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes Andrew the hamlet is actually Heaton Lodge itself not Mirfield.

Here’s a link to the article in the Daily Mail today. I was very dubious about speaking to them but I guess it’s decent PR for the hobby. Where they got the numbers they quote as in costs etc is beyond me. 
Least it’s not described as a giant train set etc

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9251581/And-stop-200ft-Man-recreates-rail-junction-Britains-biggest-model-railway.html

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

3 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Here’s a link to the article in the Daily Mail today. I was very dubious about speaking to them but I guess it’s decent PR for the hobby. Where they got the numbers they quote as in costs etc is beyond me. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9251581/And-stop-200ft-Man-recreates-rail-junction-Britains-biggest-model-railway.html

Someone once said 'All publicity is good publicity' !

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2021 at 08:52, HeatonLodge40 said:

It was well worth you speaking to them. They have portrayed the layout fantastically (all credit to you for it). 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If it was the Channel 4 news then they might just have to drop the dead donkey story to make way for HLJ!

Seriously, to attract more  in at shopping venues, some might just be persuaded by the "as seen on TV" line.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Since the Daily Mail article ITV news have asked to do a piece about HLJ for their ‘and finally’ bulletin at the end of the news.

Anyone think it’s a good idea?

You’d probably have more certainty of good coverage from a reporter who is known to be a modeller and/or a rail enthusiast.  And there’s always the possibility that coverage from regional TV gets used on the national network. 

I’d suggest trying to get someone like reporter Tom Ingle from BBC’s Look North interested.  I seem to recall that he’s been used on rail stories that aren’t ‘business related’ in the past.

• Like 1

I’m sure you’re on top of it Simon, but as always my first concern would always be security and the more visibility/ exposure, the greater risk of stock theft or pure vandalism of years of work.

Just tread carefully as I know it is your pride and joy......

• Agree 9

If you can ensure a reporter who knows something about railways, you’ll get an enthusiastic, and accurate report, and it will certainly help your business, so I’d try to arrange that, if you can.

good luck, and do tip us off if & when

cheers

Simon

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Since the Daily Mail article ITV news have asked to do a piece about HLJ for their ‘and finally’ bulletin at the end of the news.

Simon, at least the news won't be all doom & gloom. I think it will be a great opportunity to get the layout into the public mainstream

Jim

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Most certainly. Lots of other people will as well, as evidenced above, but there are lots of ifs and buts to be taken into account. It's your decision (obviously) at the end of the day, but you can be sure you'll have plenty of behind-the-scenes support.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

It was hit by a Greater Crested Tern at approximately 68mph 

9 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

That must have been a fast tern, 31's don't go that quick, so I 'm told!

REgards

Ian

7 hours ago, Simond said:

Terns evidently do

per Wikipedia, “The greater crested tern (Thalasseus bergii), also called crested tern or swift tern...”

:)

It obviously took a tern for the worst.

Mike.

OK, OK, I'm going.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5