Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

That must have been a fast tern, 31's don't go that quick, so I 'm told!

REgards

Ian

I once clocked one at 80mph. We were going down hill with only six coaches. Going up the bank on the other side of the river it struggled to reach 40mph.

My worst experience was doing a test run between Rugby and Nuneaton after commissioning some alterarions. It was on 'Sister Dora' from the Bescot Enginers Pool. Totally clapped out and limited to 60mph. I stood behind the driver to check signal sighting for two round trips at full speed. The vibration and swaying was so bad that when I got off the final run at Rugby station it took me about five minutes to get my land legs back for the walk across to the PSB.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 13/02/2021 at 17:48, HeatonLodge40 said:

Since the Daily Mail article ITV news have asked to do a piece about HLJ for their ‘and finally’ bulletin at the end of the news.

Anyone think it’s a good idea?

If ITV have contacted you I would ask for Jonny Blair he's a local ITV reporter in Newcastle - https://www.facebook.com/jonny.blair.77

He has done a couple of very good reports on RAILEX NE which went out on the main local news. 

He was very professional and not patronising at all, he has a young son who is very interested in trains as they are at that age.

This is the link to one of the reports - https://www.facebook.com/RailexNE/videos/1771397962975498 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Incredible work as ever.

One minor technical point though you may be going to change it anyway.  The cables from the cee form inlets should have a grommet where they pass through the sheet steel of the control cabinet. I know,  it is being fussy, but it might get picked up by whoever has to test and certify the mains side of things for exhibition use. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I don’t model the 2010 era as most know, but I’m determined to build up a fleet of Colas Railfreight liveried locos. 
This is the new ‘37 in those colours from Heljan that landed today. Not much in O wagon wise in RTR that will run with them apart from Cargowaggens. 
Still, what a lovely loco 

A81095EA-CF84-4889-B7AC-5C70CA61338F.png

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

....but quickly gets dirty!

SJP_JAT348202201209.jpg.34473350e233e0ee8056e194d53dc204.jpg

Tony

It's a FUGLY.:lol:
That might just be the name Me and my Dear Friend Mike/Coachbogie use.
Seeing one on a heavy coal haul on the Fiddler's Ferry line through Warrington is a fearsome sight and sound.
Chris.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They don't help themselves in the cleaning/presentation/public image department by building it in a dogbone shape to begin with and then sticking random protuberances all over it in a seemingly random fashion, not exactly auto washer friendly.

Designers, pah!

Mike.

It’s clearly from the “functional” school of design.  Like spoons and Land Rovers.

but it’s still ugly.  

I thought “fugly” was a result of a Nissan Micra advertising campaign, where they connected words like “speedy” and “safe” to make portmanteaus like “spafe”. Modern & Retro = Modtro.  None of which are in modern usage.

funny how “fugly” caught on...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Simond said:

It’s clearly from the “functional” school of design.  Like spoons and Land Rovers.

but it’s still ugly.  

I thought “fugly” was a result of a Nissan Micra advertising campaign, where they connected words like “speedy” and “safe” to make portmanteaus like “spafe”. Modern & Retro = Modtro.  None of which are in modern usage.

My 1955 Series 1 Land Rover 'Doris', will peck you if you call her ugly.:lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Simond said:

but it’s still ugly.  

Are you saying that it's origin is 'functionally ugly?'

• Funny 2

54 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

My 1955 Series 1 Land Rover 'Doris', will peck you if you call her ugly.:lol::lol:

my 1a was called Harriet.  She wasn’t ugly, she was functional.  

She was actually terrifyingly, spectacularly, magnificently functional, as she had a 3.5 V8 under the hood.

Doesn’t matter how powerful, that loco is ugly.

I sold Harriet to a mate for a few hundred quid, before they became collectors’ items.  I do hope he rebuilds it one day.

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sandhole said:

My IIA was called Murgatroyd, and no one ever called her ugly.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1