Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Premium

May I just say, echoing every else's comments, what a magnificent achievement.  I've just finished reading the forum from day 1 and one can't help be impressed by your sheer determination and drive! 

And how useful are the How To Do It videos.  The myths of static grassing exploded and a simple practical method explained. 

Please keep the pics and videos coming.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Joner said:

That must be a heavy load of hoppers, all the coupling hooks are pulled out.

Very impressive, can't wait to see this for real.

Paul

You’re right, in fact I never saw more than 15 on a train heading up the incline back in the day. I’ve just this thing with long trains.

I am going to have to address the coupling issue - long passenger rakes have the same non prototypical effect too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

You’re right, in fact I never saw more than 15 on a train heading up the incline back in the day. I’ve just this thing with long trains.

I am going to have to address the coupling issue - long passenger rakes have the same non prototypical effect too

Why not have long trains? You've got the space!

Maybe stronger springs on the hooks?

I'm sure you'll find an answer.

Looks awesome anyway even with no trains on it. The anticipation waiting for a train. Great atmosphere. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

As many others have already said what an impressive layout and just having watched the two new videos how realistic it is having all the passengers looking out the windows.  I guess another job for my layout!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe stronger springs on the hooks?

I'm sure you'll find an answer.

It shows the fantastic skills of the work on this model, that we are commenting on the coupler distances involved. All else being of so high quality that it is beyond critique.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are a few proponents of rigidly fixing hooks to buffer planks, though this concerns me.

I have taken to cutting a slice of silicone rubber tube, and fitting that in place of the usual spring, at least on locos.  This is much stiffer than the spring, so the hook does not pull out unrealistically, but does provide some shock absorbtion.  And it’s quite prototypical, if you squint hard enough.

hth

Simon

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 26/07/2021 at 09:34, Simond said:

There are a few proponents of rigidly fixing hooks to buffer planks, though this concerns me.

I have taken to cutting a slice of silicone rubber tube, and fitting that in place of the usual spring, at least on locos.  This is much stiffer than the spring, so the hook does not pull out unrealistically, but does provide some shock absorbtion.  And it’s quite prototypical, if you squint hard enough.

hth

Simon

The coupling issue is becoming exactly that - not so much because of the hooks pulling out but breaking because of the weight of the very long heavy trains.

For example the 40 on the HUO’s in the video above has now another 15 16T mineral wagons added. The 40 will still pull them - even up the incline - but the train often breaks apart with broken coupling. 

I haven’t time to change coupling (to more robust ones) given the 500 or so wagons on HLJ, so I’ve ordered a large quantity of stainless steel links about 1cm long.

I’ll use these as a fail safe and loop them over the coupling. Might not look pretty on close inspection but better than a pile up

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Simon,

if your coupling hooks are failing, I guess they're plastic - you'll need to replace them with metal.  Not a job I envy you for!

I must admit, it is much easier to fit springs than the silicone tube - that is actually  bit fiddly.

atb

Simon

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

........ but the train often breaks apart with broken coupling. 

A divided train ........  Just adds yet more realism to an already fantastic layout!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, iands said:

A divided train ........  Just adds yet more realism to an already fantastic layout!

It's a long walk to find where the back half of the train is should it happen. How do we know this? :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

It's a long walk to find where the back half of the train should is it happen. How do we know this? :D

Again, another touch of realism! :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I wish. 
It’s usually a two minute walk to find the back half of a train. Another problem to solve 

Just keep going with the front half. You'll soon find it...

• Funny 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Red Bank rises again!

After oiling 20 vans to make them run as free as possible followed by weathering & numbering, Healey Mills 40057 heads west with the Red Bank newspaper empties.

This train on weekdays is always routed via the Calder valley on the L&Y line, crossing from the up slow to the up fast.

(Haven’t had time to add a brake lamp before anyone asks) 

Fabulous!  I hope a sight like that makes the years of toil worthwhile.  Everything about this layout is inspiring. Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Nice, but you really do want to get those couplings sorted so that the buffers and gangways are touching. An essential feature of a fully fitted parcels train.

Keith, being pedantic, if there are gangways the buffers should not be touching of course.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Keith, being pedantic, if there are gangways the buffers should not be touching of course.

Only if the stock has LNER or Pullman type gangways, having a central buffing block and retracted side buffers. Stock using normal, scissors or suspended type gangways should have the buffers touching, as should stock to loco.

Dave.

• Agree 2