Heaton Lodge Junction

56 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But imagine how impressive a layout this size but using N scale track and stock, it would cover half of West Yorkshire.

.. And if we backdate it a bit you could include:- Bradley curve, Pickle Bridge branch, Leeds New Line, LMS Newtown goods branch, Mirfield Station, Clecky Branch and Thornhii Jcn. 

Just chuck in 56D and full speed signalling and you've got a winner i reckon

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

A very nice web site there, very slick.

Looking at the "Engine Shed" section, there are a couple of DMUs, on page 1, both described as class 104s.

To me, the first one looks like a Derby product (possibly a class 108) and the second one looks like a Gloucester RC&W class 100 DMU.

Either way, I'm pretty sure they are not BRC&W class 104s.

Kev.

• Agree 1

On 25/10/2021 at 12:40, SHMD said:

A very nice web site there, very slick.

Looking at the "Engine Shed" section, there are a couple of DMUs, on page 1, both described as class 104s.

To me, the first one looks like a Derby product (possibly a class 108) and the second one looks like a Gloucester RC&W class 100 DMU.

Either way, I'm pretty sure they are not BRC&W class 104s.

Kev.

You’re correct Kev it should be 101 I’ll get it corrected.

On another note I believe the layout is on the ITV news.. last item later on

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

On another note I believe the layout is on the ITV news.. last item later on

Indeed it was, I was yelling at the wife "Turn the sound up, turn the sound up! That's the one on that forum that you're always complaining about me always being on!" She was dead impressed and now not only does RMWeb have a veneer of respectability, but you'll have an additional two visitors when the layout eventually ventures south-west of Watford.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

Indeed it was, I was yelling at the wife "Turn the sound up, turn the sound up! That's the one on that forum that you're always complaining about me always being on!" She was dead impressed and now not only does RMWeb have a veneer of respectability, but you'll have an additional two visitors when the layout eventually ventures south-west of Watford.

Ah thanks it was very nerve wracking have to say! 
Thanks also to all who’ve bought tickets! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Can I just turn up?

My itinerary is somewhat chaotic at the moment.

I am in Germany next week but they have just thrown in a quick trip to London, for the rest of this week, and then I am off to Milan.

(They wont - can't - say where I am needed after that - there is a list!!!)

...but I am determined to come to Wakefield!

Kev.

42 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Can I just turn up?

My itinerary is somewhat chaotic at the moment.

I am in Germany next week but they have just thrown in a quick trip to London, for the rest of this week, and then I am off to Milan.

(They wont - can't - say where I am needed after that - there is a list!!!)

...but I am determined to come to Wakefield!

Kev.

Similar story here... I was going to ask the same question. Not so exotic locations for me I'm afraid though... Hackney, Dudley and Eccles seem to be my lot recently! 

Enjoyed the piece on the Hornby programme on TV the other night. Did have a mounting sense of dread as the resin started smoking!!!!!!!!! Thought you managed to remain calm very well, don't know how many takes there were though......

Edited by class27
spelling
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, class27 said:

Enjoyed the piece on the Hornby programme on TV the other night. Did have a mounting sense of dread as the resin started smoking!!!!!!!!! Thought you managed to remain calm very well, don't know how many takes there were though......

It was a disaster! I did say ‘oh balls’ which the camera picked up. The resin stayed sticky for months till I redid it. Oh well

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2021 at 15:15, HeatonLodge40 said:

Lots of radio silence lately I know.

All positive update wise though, the automation works superbly - in fact the sight of seeing two ‘40’s on a 20 van Redbank parcels slowing down for a red, then accelerating as the points change a single yellow plus feather light up is super to watch.

It’s been a huge amount of work to get the system to perform - mainly because it involves getting one 10amp system to talk to  another system that works the automation & won’t run on 10amps! At the end of the day there isn’t a manufacturer whose designed a system for O gauge either, so you see the issues. 

So the last few days the job has begun to completely dismantle Heaton Lodge, load all the boards onto the steel handcarts & at the same time tidy up the wiring and fix other bits and bats. 
The150ft fiddle yard is now mostly down, next week down comes the scenic side. It’s a mess in the dungeon at the moment so please excuse that! 
After that it’ll all be reassembled for more testing, getting the overhead ‘platform’ type timetables to work and weathering a load of rolling stock that hasn’t been done yet. 

For those who are interested the layout will be displayed in Wakefield City Centre from Sat 4th - Sunday 19th December in the Market Hall, Union Street WF13AE. 
Official sponsors Heljan will also be there with additional OO layouts by Peco. 
It’ll be in the modelling press soon enough together with more details.. 

Thank you to all of you that have followed this thread for the last 7 years, plus Andy York & Phil Parker for a kind and complimentary write up last month in BRM. 

I will keep updating here every few weeks but it’ll be more on the logistics of shifting 100+ boards weighing about 5 tons.!

Hopefully see some of you in December 

98D1F5DC-3BEE-43FB-B962-EBD764B37952.jpeg

667242A7-2D43-4979-AB9A-AA2D9D5F6737.jpeg

2918F2E6-B8DC-4C16-A68E-AEC2B5787CC3.jpeg

A691ECD9-7753-4FD5-967F-CC06331F00A4.jpeg

Great news that you can finally exhibit this superb layout.

I hope to be living a bit further North by December so will definitely be wanting to visit.

Enjoyed seeing the layout on the TV. It looks absolutely stunning! Must be amazing seeing full length O gauge trains running and the scenery really makes the atmosphere. 

Hope I get to see it in the flesh sometime.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rubber duck said:

E Tickets purchased, looking forward to spending the day lineside........

get some Bar stools available and we'll be sorted! 

Bar stools? I'm planning to bring a short length of lineside fencing for some Mugwumping. 

One assumes there will be a small stand dispensing Tizer, squashed egg butties and Harvest fruit pies? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ferret1956 said:

Bar stools? I'm planning to bring a short length of lineside fencing for some Mugwumping. 

One assumes there will be a small stand dispensing Tizer, squashed egg butties and Harvest fruit pies? 

Sadly no Tizer but there are 10 pairs of binoculars you can use !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

There are days when I walk in the basement and wish I’d been a postman instead. 

Today I’ve started speed weathering on a large scale..I’ve set myself 6 Heljan Class 40’s & 20 Dapol Bogie Bolsters to do.

I’m also modifying the Motorail flats to run more reliably by altering the back to backs and adding some washers to the bogie pivots. They’ve been derailing regularly which is not fun. These mods are working well and seem to fix it.

I’m aiming to speed weather 25 wagons a day for the next week. Plus steel & coal loads to add to them too. 

A14B7997-D513-4066-9416-46013D498AF0.jpeg

Speed weathering there is a new thread

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1