Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold

Once again - gob smacked!

I thought this scene was from the "Level Crossing madness" thread.

image.png.f3ffd5e66bb60a2dcdd2882f958de173.png

I can't wait to visit.

Kev.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good luck for tomorrow Simon.

I’ve read every post, poured over photo and video, and (to a much smaller degree!) adopted the techniques for my own layout. I check for updates on this thread daily and cannot wait to see it next week.

Inspiring stuff and credit to you for seeing it through. The whole hobby benefits from this

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Best wishes for tomorrow! 

I'm not able to get there this weekend, work being the curse of the modelling classes etc, but hopefully will be braving the M1 for pleasure for a change, next weekend. 

Just a quick question, is admission able to be paid on card, (I honestly don't remember when I last used cash)?! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ferret1956 said:

Best wishes for tomorrow! 

I'm not able to get there this weekend, work being the curse of the modelling classes etc, but hopefully will be braving the M1 for pleasure for a change, next weekend. 

Just a quick question, is admission able to be paid on card, (I honestly don't remember when I last used cash)?! 

Payment prob accepted in bags of static grass!

Or possibly use the dirty hole in the wall! (Cash dispensing machine.....not the other variety)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Payment prob accepted in bags of static grass!

Or possibly use the dirty hole in the wall! (Cash dispensing machine.....not the other variety)

Don't mention static grass.. It's a dirty word in our house at present. 

If I say - 4mm Spring Green, New gray carpet and "Whoops" I'm sure you can fill in the blanks! 

On a different, yet oddly connected tack, in my teen spotting days, late60s/early 70s, Kirkgate station allegedly had a "hole in wall" which was why THAT end of the platform was studiously avoided... There were certainly  odd goings on, er, going on! 

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hello all,

@Revolution Mike and I were able to attend the preview day and can only echo what others have said; this layout is breathtaking in its scope, remarkable in the consistency of stock and scenic treatment and awe-inspiring to see.

DB700FA8-2159-4E36-8190-34906D6263E3.jpeg.73f80c1fd838264cf35bd29850c145ac.jpeg

Many on RM Web will know that my primary interest is N gauge, however I was mesmerised during the three or so hours I was there and no matter what your preferred scale this layout is truly inspirational with everything that is best about the hobby writ large.

D8F5C25C-C952-41DD-BC70-3A6157AEC94C.jpeg.74b29312b579f9c5817cdf7551e4a4b8.jpeg

Congratulations to all involved - especially Simon who is the driving mind behind the whole thing - and I would urge any RM Web members to take the opportunity to see it.

Having said that, what I think is really exciting is that this is intended not just to be on display at dedicated model railway shows but in locations not normally associated with the hobby - hopefully exposing it to large numbers of those who may have had a taster with the recent slew of TV coverage and are looking to learn more.

cheers

Ben A.

I for one can't wait to see it! Not only because ot was my home turf in the 60s, but also for the reason you give, in that enormous, (but not THIS enormous), layouts in "public" places, were very much a thing then. Not only at many seaside resorts, but, especially at this time of year, in large department stores. 

I applaud Simon's move, our great hobby needs to be more in the public eye. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferret1956 said:

Don't mention static grass.. It's a dirty word in our house at present. 

If I say - 4mm Spring Green, New gray carpet and "Whoops" I'm sure you can fill in the blanks! 

On a different, yet oddly connected tack, in my teen spotting days, late60s/early 70s, Kirkgate station allegedly had a "hole in wall" which was why THAT end of the platform was studiously avoided... There were certainly  odd goings on, er, going on! 

5 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hello all,

@Revolution Mike and I were able to attend the preview day and can only echo what others have said; this layout is breathtaking in its scope, remarkable in the consistency of stock and scenic treatment and awe-inspiring to see.

DB700FA8-2159-4E36-8190-34906D6263E3.jpeg.73f80c1fd838264cf35bd29850c145ac.jpeg

Many on RM Web will know that my primary interest is N gauge, however I was mesmerised during the three or so hours I was there and no matter what your preferred scale this layout is truly inspirational with everything that is best about the hobby writ large.

D8F5C25C-C952-41DD-BC70-3A6157AEC94C.jpeg.74b29312b579f9c5817cdf7551e4a4b8.jpeg

Congratulations to all involved - especially Simon who is the driving mind behind the whole thing - and I would urge any RM Web members to take the opportunity to see it.

Having said that, what I think is really exciting is that this is intended not just to be on display at dedicated model railway shows but in locations not normally associated with the hobby - hopefully exposing it to large numbers of those who may have had a taster with the recent slew of TV coverage and are looking to learn more.

cheers

Ben A.

I was thinking about arranging a one day local show in the summer jolidays next year in my local town....how many operators do you bring...(prob less than some 'big' show layouts bring?'...do you kneed more than one expensives form?

Apart from the vastness and shear gobsmackingness! One thing I have noticed is the creators ability not to come across in the main stream media (TV interviews) as a complete 'mad perfessor/ anorak type'of person and actually come across as normal! as the media normaly slant the hobby as a bit of fun to poke at for the end of bad news TV , so probably done the hobby some good in national coverage.....un like model railway challenge....good coverage and exposure on TV but done nothing to expell the myth of the hobby is full of geeks, whitch it is and is richer for it

....no disrespect to participants of show....just a observation,  they all have more balls than me....I won't make a face time call never mind go on TV!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it presents a very positive view of this hobby to joe public - that some “ normal “ people do it .

I think what helps in this day and age is the whole “ be kind “ mantra , because whereas hobbyists would be the target of ridicule before it’s simply not allowed to take the …. Out of anyone anymore - a win for us !

just look at all the attention mega trainspotter Francois bourgeois gets - and a lot of it female ! Reminds me, must start a train Instagram channel …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yes, it presents a very positive view of this hobby to joe public - that some “ normal “ people do it .

I think what helps in this day and age is the whole “ be kind “ mantra , because whereas hobbyists would be the target of ridicule before it’s simply not allowed to take the …. Out of anyone anymore - a win for us !

just look at all the attention mega trainspotter Francois bourgeois gets - and a lot of it female ! Reminds me, must start a train Instagram channel …

Narrr... forget instergram channel, get one of these!  Should of got one in my single life!

20211101_154020.jpg

Edited by bradfordbuffer
Forgot the pooch
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks to all for the kind words. 

On day one the numbers were a tad less than what I was expecting but on the other hand the website is still getting strong e-ticket sales - especially since the BBC put the above article on their website.

For me though it’s the first time I’ve really watched the model operate for hours on end in full automatic mode. 
About every 15 minutes there would be some epic manoeuvres on the front with 2 long MGR’s taking the crossovers whilst a pair of class 50’s roared up the bank on a charter.
On one occasion I could see a head on collision looming between two long freights, and was just about to belt it back to the control desk when I saw the feathers on the signals indicating both trains were in fact crossing the switched diamonds avoiding each other.
However I wasn’t sure what to make of the fact that when Thomas the tank engine appeared on his hourly run round the layout, more people got their cameras out than they did for anything else! 

Thanks to all that helped today, very much appreciated 

268D3559-9292-439D-A176-E2E5947F3EB5.png

382D4614-3C59-43F3-BC0E-EBEF638FB542.png

Yep don't look like many fok at font of layout....but for 'normal layout' that would be 4 deep ....cheek to rucksack...and stabbed in eye with 30 year old bent length of code100 sort of crowd!

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2