Heaton Lodge Junction

59 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Featuring on BBC Breakfast this morning.

in the middle of a move, this week. But I will find time to get across to Wakefield for this.

Just checked for train times and fares and Northern website suggests changing at Stockport and Sheffield (starting from Lostock Gralam). That seems like a strange routing to me.

Your starting from the wrong place! No seriously, I doubt there is a better route. There used to be a direct service from Vic via Huddesfield but it reverted to "change at Huddesfield" , so running into Picc would still require two changes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tricky said:

Nice write up on the BBC news website - although I notice they called the railway a ‘set’! 

I'm sure if you asked nicely, Simon would make one for you.  Probably not for this Christmas though!

(and you'd need a bigger tree than Trafalgar Square to get it under too)

• RMweb Premium

We went yesterday from Stockport and changed at Sheffield.  Very quick change at Sheffield and in Wakefield in no time. Had a great day and returned by Leeds. All trains very efficient and on time. Brilliant layout and we had a talk with Simon as well as his very proud mother. 

We had a couple of pints in the Black Rock very close to the venue. Highly recommend and a great finish to a wonderful day out. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, mike hughes said:

I’m hoping to make a visit on the last day

Is the last day going to be like the final 5 mins of a number of shows I have been to I.e. Thomas the tank on one track doing a 100mph while 3 class 37s haul 100 wagons the other way while the rest of the stock is put away?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I may be working the early hours of Saturday morning , finishing in Doncaster with a hire car around 9am so I recon I’ll divert via Wakefield and the M62 to get home home and have come and have a look 

out of interest, any decent model shops in the area, or indeed en route between donny and Wakefield or the M62 corridor back toward Manchester After I visit, I only really know of rails and Arcadia that fit the bill 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, big jim said:

I may be working the early hours of Saturday morning , finishing in Doncaster with a hire car around 9am so I recon I’ll divert via Wakefield and the M62 to get home home and have come and have a look 

out of interest, any decent model shops in the area, or indeed en route between donny and Wakefield or the M62 corridor back toward Manchester After I visit, I only really know of rails and Arcadia that fit the bill 

I was going to suggest "Arcadia" but, obviously, you are well acquainted with the delights of Shaw.

Kev.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GWC1 said:

It would be great to have a 'guest trains' day - I have a 123/124 hybrid set and a 195 that it would be good to photograph running through HLJ.

I am sorry to say this is not possible as all locos have to have custom CVs programmed and the pc has to run the locos many time so it can learn the stopping distances.  This is not a layout controlled by a gaugemaster you can simply drop a loco on and play trains. It's a professional setup all designed around computer automation

8 minutes ago, mgextreme said:

I am sorry to say this is not possible as all locos have to have custom CVs programmed and the pc has to run the locos many time so it can learn the stopping distances.  This is not a layout controlled by a gaugemaster you can simply drop a loco on and play trains. It's a professional setup all designed around computer automation

Though Simon has also said that the layout can be run manually and semi manually in addition to the automation.

Just now, Denbridge said:

Though Simon has also said that the layout can be run manually and semi manually in addition to the automation.

This it can but for exhibitions it all runs automatically and when running in manual the locos still have to know to the PC. Additionally the team has found many kit built locos simply just can't run as they short the layout out, sorry I am not sure if the locos referenced GWC1 are RTR or kit built.

As anyone who can get to see it will see this is not your ordinary o gauge layout

2 hours ago, GWC1 said:

It would be great to have a 'guest trains' day - I have a 123/124 hybrid set and a 195 that it would be good to photograph running through HLJ.

I just can’t accommodate this at this event I’m afraid.

All the locos on the layout have their CV’s synchronised with the automation to run to preset braking and acceleration etc

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Yep, but the layout runs in full auto at this event to give visitors the full effect of constant heavy freight negotiating different converging routes etc. 
Any manual running would cut the traffic flow by 80% or more which I don’t think would provide much entertainment to people watching. 

• Like 4

On 05/12/2021 at 06:52, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've just checked out the rail fare from Shrewsbury to Wakey, a somewhat eye watering £92.50 return, but as this is probably as close as the train set is going to be to me and Alicante, a bullet will have to be bitten!

Mike.

Looking at Split Ticketing Website I could do it for £47.60 with 4 hours in Wakefield.!!!!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Simon, an awesome effort to get HLJ infront of the public. I'm just waiting for the Australian leg of the world tour to be announced! My club's exhibition is in June - I'm sure we could squeeze you in somehow.

If I do make it back to the UK next year, seeing this will be on my list along with 6024 running on the mainline again. Don't think my airfare will be £43.78 though!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, big jim said:

Going Loco is in Wakefield- actually quite a good model shop for a local one 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, big jim said:

That’s perfect, Between yourself and the motorway meaning I can also call at Arcadia while passing there too (just need to decide whether to offer to work or not)

No forgetting the "Locoshed "  just off the M60 at Besses o'th Barn . Another Jim there !

• RMweb Premium

I am still reeling from the sheer amount of effort and skill that Simon put into building HLJ. I went to see it yesterday and was overwhelmed by its size. Although we see photos on here, I feel a visit is a must to appreciate the attention to detail. My wife came with me and pointed out details that I hadn't noticed. Her favourites were the 2 x 37s, despite my enthusiasm for the sound of D9009 echoing round the hall! 

Credit must also go to the ladies at the entrance for being so pleasant and enthusiastic about the enterprise. 

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I just can’t accommodate this at this event I’m afraid.

Fair enough. Perhaps an 'enthusiasts day' sometime might be an idea. I would pay more for a 'behind the scenes,, meet the builder, type event.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWC1 said:

I would pay more for a 'behind the scenes,, meet the builder, type event.

Good idea … although if you arrive early enough or at a quiet time, you might be lucky enough to meet Simon during this event!

I visited this morning just after opening and had a lovely chat with Simon before staying for a couple of hours to walk round, view then find a location to watch the trains go by. Simply amazing project and great to see for real. Considering that it’s the first public outing, very impressed with the reliability and running and automation. Eg One snippet I noticed is that the passenger trains often receive a through path / more green signals on average compared to the freight.

Each board is it’s own interesting detailed diorama … and interesting plans for the future to include a station around the curve beyond the current scenic break.

By the time I departed the numbers attending had increased; good to see and hope the recent publicity results in a success … as I would definitely like to see again and can thoroughly recommend a visit.

I wonder how many steps per day Simon walks … do you have a Fitbit or pedometer? Good exercise!

9 hours ago, Crepello said:

Credit must also go to the ladies at the entrance for being so pleasant and enthusiastic about the enterprise. 

I echo this … the ladies looked after my bag during my visit. Had a good chat; very pleasant and good to hear the number of visitors growing per day as the word spreads. They did mention that opening time and mid to late afternoon are the quieter times to visit (a bit like other model shows).

• Like 4

On 27/04/2016 at 17:31, allan downes said:

Simon has give me the go ahead to post the first stages of Heaton Lodge Junction a massive four track main line layout in O Gauge so I thought it deserved its own thread.

Enjoy !

Allan on behalf of Simon George.

HeatonLodge40

HeatonLodge40

Registered Member

• photo-thumb-25007.jpeg?_r=1461703248
  •  
  • email_open.pnguser_add.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSheffield & Birmingham

Posted Today, 09:24

Since this months BRM magazine has given the ongoing construction of Heaton Lodge an airing I thought if there was any interest I'd update progress here every few weeks.

For those who haven't read the mag Heaton Lodge Junction is situated just West of Mirfield in West Yorks and is where the L&Y's Calder Valley & LNWR's Leeds to Huddersfield lines converge.
From 1900 it's also where the LNWR's 'New Line' - a completely new route to Leeds began.
In 1970 BR completely remodelled the junction, getting rid of the L&Y's lovely box, replacing the existing semaphore and ex LMS unique 'speed' signals with colour lights controlled by Healey Mills power box some 8 miles away. BR also utilised the first mile or so of the now closed 'New Line' and where the track had originally veered North after burrowing under the CV line it was reconfigured to meet with it thereby creating a non conflicting junction which replaced the original flat crossing.

My interest in this location is personal as I spent about 3 years of Christmas and Summer holidays here spotting from about 12.
I'd always harboured a desire to model the location and originally planned to do it in EM or P4 but settled on 7mm for a few reasons especially since Heljan are manufacturing loco's and rolling stock that exactly fits in this era.

The model is 1.3 scale miles in 7mm set in the winter sometime between 1982-5 and works out at 160ft (55m) viewing area or 180ft including the covered curves at each end. The gradient of 1:137 is also being worked into the model meaning over the 160ft the track rises about a foot or so. It's a continuous run with a fiddle yard around 150ft long and 14 odd storage siding. About 40 odd 4ft X 4'6'' frames incorporating the track modules have already been manufactured by White Rose model works up in Bedale. Norman Saunders is the track builder whose using Peco concrete sleepers and flat bottom rail and C&L ballast to get the correct effect. Allan Downes has built the many bridges and tunnel mouths although I've covered his stonework in DAS and carved it to achieve the look of the dirty sandstone common at the location.

To be candid I knew unless I spent much time practicing, given I wanted to construct all the scenery myself I was never going to be near to the standard of the above master craftsman so have spent the last couple of years practising static grass techniques, road making and fence/wall construction on about 40 odd mock polystyrene embankments to get near the right 'look' of HL in the winter.

I'm a bit of a detail freak so I'm hoping the level of detail on the model will be high but I'll let you be the judge of that from the following photos.
From the 40 plus boards in total down the viewing side I've finished 9 as of now. I'm finishing around 3 a month currently so the model is on schedule to be finished end of next year..
Be happy to explain techniques I've used on to get the Winter look of course..
Apologies for rabbiting on..here's some pics..
Attached Thumbnails
  • post-25007-0-97015800-1461744935.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-69325000-1461744954.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-86185400-1461744972.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-90734500-1461744992.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-75481600-1461745023_thumb.j
  • post-25007-0-30716000-1461745095_thumb.j
  • post-25007-0-43647100-1461745115_thumb.j
  • post-25007-0-29792600-1461745131.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-95351800-1461745148.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-31097500-1461745173.png
  • post-25007-0-51639700-1461745199.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-10652400-1461745228.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-82177700-1461745247.jpeg
  • post-25007-0-07523500-1461745288_thumb.p
  • post-25007-0-27496400-1461745376_thumb.j
  • post-25007-0-99102300-1461745401_thumb.j

It looks absolutely amazing. The scenery looks so real, especially the fly tipping bit. 

• Agree 1