Heaton Lodge Junction

3 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Just visited this morning (Fri).

Can only echo what others have said - what a feat of dedication, time, effort, investment and creativity! 

Also, a tip of the hat to the fact that you're not sitting on your laurels but have plans for developing the non-scenic side with a station and a marshalling yard. 

On the venue, it wasn't crowded early on, but by 1130-ish, the barriers along the scenic side were maybe two-thirds occupied by people watching the trains go by. Don't  know what sort of numbers you'd want to make it a financial success, but it looked pretty healthy to me.

Vast majority of visitors wearing masks too, and hand sanitiser available on the way in (the smell of the sanitiser seemed to mask that of the sewage works with the rotating spreader thingies!).

Does the chap by the bridge parapet bottom right of this photo remind you of anyone?

IMG_3993.jpg.a80275c793e604f5341ea4f5e615b526.jpg

At Last photograhic evidence of Thomas!....where is Annie? Sound and smoke fitted

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Sorry about including the block of flats but travelling from the south via London to Wakefield was a large chunk of the day, and we couldn’t believe our luck when we had a celebrity 91 to take us to Wakefield. 

No need to apologise! Twas meant in jest.... I actually took a few loads of steel down to that development... Nice to see it from a different perspective

1 hour ago, ferret1956 said:

No need to apologise! Twas meant in jest.... I actually took a few loads of steel down to that development... Nice to see it from a different perspective

Bloody awful carpark building ...cross between legs blocks and leftover grills from electric convector heaters....from its conception till last year when I retired each time I passed when arriving or departing Wakefield Westgate tried to see if there was a pattern or reason to blocks and different material's....left for retirement none the wiser

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Bloody awful carpark building ...cross between legs blocks and leftover grills from electric convector heaters....from its conception till last year when I retired each time I passed when arriving or departing Wakefield Westgate tried to see if there was a pattern or reason to blocks and different material's....left for retirement none the wiser

Some of these developments we supply make me cringe, but it's a living. The  site used to be Express Dairy, my Mum worked there, but there was also a car compound, with trainloads of cars arriving daily and being forwarded on Tolemans transporters. Mum's office was a prime Deltic copping point! 

• Like 3

Had a great first visit this afternoon too. I echo the words of others, in every respect it’s incredible, a very slick operation and a joy to watch. 

I thought there was actually a decent mix of people, modellers non-modellers. A city centre venue is a great idea if the costs work. It would be ideal in York this time of year for the weary shopper! 

3BB68C18-4C76-45A1-A041-5ED8F0389DDD.jpeg

76E3D578-3E95-480F-A4FC-58CD5B54E798.jpeg

543AF710-4ECD-4EB6-87B1-2650F4A2CED4.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Visited this morning, modelling on an epic scale and amazing detail. I spent two hours mostly along the front and was still finding things I had missed earlier. 

A couple of operating glitches but not a detraction from the enjoyment. I do have some photo evidence for the Inspectorate of the aftermath of the freight that must have split the points just around midday. I was photographing the gas bottle compound when it happened. The Hand of God soon cleared up the mess.

What we need next from Simon's gizmo wizards is an overhead display like an Open Train Times map to tell us which train is coming up next.

Hope to be back next week with the grandson who is train mad.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2021 at 21:59, TheSignalEngineer said:

modelling on an epic scale

Four pictures just to emphasise this. The first two atre the fiddle Yard looking each way from the same spot.

1035767310_6034FY_Left.jpg.25de31866d3c97633f2f593437db3dc2.jpg

932526028_6033FY_Right.jpg.51fb8e3b63e9759547931c8b78d4bb47.jpg

Looking along the front from the left hand end.

6066_Front.jpg.b1b0c0b7bbb6dcc6edf5e75a7cfa4a8c.jpg

Some of the crowd at lunchtime today

6067_Crowd.jpg.0217280bb518a5276573b42a81bda542.jpg

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Pictures replaced
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

All set for my trip tomorrow, got a train to work tonight Doncaster to ratcliffe and back to Doncaster, grab breakfast then hopefully get to Wakefield about 10:30, if your there I’ll be the (not so fat) guy wondering round in hi-viz gear! 

• Like 6

Once again thanks again for the great response. 
Yep I have to say the accident pictured was caused by a VAA van hand brake detaching on points and derailing the whole set. 
I initially expected derailments every half hour but it’s becoming about every two hours now. Definitely settling down . 

Only thing is I don’t tend to reattach the wagons from an accident so the trains are usually shorter by the end of the day! 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I made the long journey over the Pennines today - four trains to get there.  Well worth the effort. It’s superb modelling and ran faultlessly during my visit. The sheer size of it means you can stand at one end and see a train emerge in the distance and take its time to reach you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Made it over today for an hour, very impressive

the one thing that struck me stood about 1/2 way down the layout watching a train approach from the dive under end was looking along it the layout itself looked almost OO gauge in proportions until you realise it’s taking the train an age to get any closer as its so far away! 

E4DD63CC-D2E8-4C12-BB5E-F6F65F0CAA77.jpeg.3a15f6a3e6ca2f3d3e600197d85a6adb.jpeg

nightmare trip home though, google said crash on the M62 with 1 1/2 hour delay so I went via the M1 and via penistone, glossop and broadbottom to avoid another tailback on the main woodhead route

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

Four of us from Hessle MRG paid a visit yesterday, its absolutely stunning to see,the quality of the modelling is top notch,we caught up with Simon who was happy to stop for a quick natter and answer a few questions. 

Anyone considering going I can fully recommend it.

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Echo all the above.

I had a fantastic visit.

Lots of kids and families there too. I thought it was very busy, today, especially if you consider how much space there is for everyone!

(Thomas was sneaking out way more often than once an hour though. Obviously "playing" to the audience.   :)   )

A couple of observations: -

I think a coffee shop could make a killing in that hall.

As could a couple more "traders" - should be viable at weekends. (Just like "Rails" today. (Thanks Rails, I now have a rather nice new book on Deltics crossing the Pennines - Just as I remember them.)

The layout is desperately missing MK2 coaching stock.

Highlights: -

The deltics - especially "Alycidon". Such power, such majesty. Such "thrash"!

Four long cargo waggons separated, from the back of their train, and was left in section.

Alycidon was not far behind and there was no way to alert "control" in time to avert things! ("Control" was way to far away!!!)

No matter, 55009 came up slowly behind the stranded train, a bit of a "heavy shunt" ensued and she was off again with Napiers opening up to full Roar mode.

Lovely.

Kev.

(...who will visit again when it is more local.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Made it over today for an hour, very impressive

the one thing that struck me stood about 1/2 way down the layout watching a train approach from the dive under end was looking along it the layout itself looked almost OO gauge in proportions until you realise it’s taking the train an age to get any closer as its so far away! 

E4DD63CC-D2E8-4C12-BB5E-F6F65F0CAA77.jpeg.3a15f6a3e6ca2f3d3e600197d85a6adb.jpeg

nightmare trip home though, google said crash on the M62 with 1 1/2 hour delay so I went via the M1 and via penistone, glossop and broadbottom to avoid another tailback on the main woodhead route

Roads over the Pennines dont get any better, but glad you made it back safely. 

What we could do with is a direct, electrified rail line, say from Sheffield area... Oh hang on...! :beee:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Echo all the above.

I had a fantastic visit.

Lots of kids and families there too. I thought it was very busy, today, especially if you consider how much space there is for everyone!

(Thomas was sneaking out way more often than once an hour though. Obviously "playing" to the audience.   :)   )

A couple of observations: -

I think a coffee shop could make a killing in that hall.

As could a couple more "traders" - should be viable at weekends. (Just like "Rails" today. (Thanks Rails, I now have a rather nice new book on Deltics crossing the Pennines - Just as I remember them.)

The layout is desperately missing MK2 coaching stock.

Highlights: -

The deltics - especially "Alycidon". Such power, such majesty. Such "thrash"!

Four long cargo waggons separated, from the back of their train, and was left in section.

Alycidon was not far behind and there was no way to alert "control" in time to avert things! ("Control" was way to far away!!!)

No matter, 55009 came up slowly behind the stranded train, a bit of a "heavy shunt" ensued and she was off again with Napiers opening up to full Roar mode.

Lovely.

Kev.

(...who will visit again when it is more local.)

You know those dummy axle counters Simon.... 

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, ferret1956 said:

Roads over the Pennines dont get any better, but glad you made it back safely. 

What we could do with is a direct, electrified rail line, say from Sheffield area... Oh hang on...! :beee:

Let's be fair now covid seen off ⅓ of punters rail service not so bad in the North some new longer stock and its not that bad....the fault is every one wants to travel at same time....I shudder to think how trai s going to be over the next 2 weekends for Xmas shopping to the big centers like Leeds and Manchester....

Train  travel is expensive but so is fuel and parking for your car...I'm alright jack got my staff travel passes ...used twice since march 2020! What a waste....out and about next year

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, ferret1956 said:

Serious question, (for once), I noticed a mention in an earlier post about Traders. 

I know this was proposed/hinted at a few months ago, but hadn't seen any reference since. 

Can someone one enlighten me please? 

Today, Rails of Sheffield had a stall near the entrance. Mainly shifting "boxes".

There was also a small display by Peco near the exit, some leaflets and a small circle of 00 as a 6'x4' demo layout.

Heljan had a couple of Display cabinets, adjacent to the Peco bit, with some 00 and 0 stuff in.

In between them was (and will probably remain so), the biggest model railway I have ever seen.

The overall experience would, IMHO, benefit from a Cafe and a couple of Traders selling actual modelling materials.

Kev.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I visited on Thursday. Stunning layout, amazing scenery both on the scale of the whole thing and the attention to detail on each scene. 

I couldn’t help feeling that it needs a carriage and wagon nerd (I’m sure there are better people than me?!) to sort out the train formations. Too many passenger trains with no brake vehicle, not enough variety among the wagons. It felt like the entire BR fleet of Bogie bolster Es and Turbots had been allocated to the layout. I appreciate this is influenced by the RTR offering, not meaning to moan, but in many cases the DMUs were the most realistic train formations. 

Maybe I got a bad impression owing to previous failures, in which case I apologise.

it was still a wonderful layout to see. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SHMD said:

Lovely.

you must have been stood quite near me  then as I saw that too, watched Simon recover it when it entered the fiddle yard too, I would have introduced myself to you Simon but you were busy! 

highlight of my drive home via woodhead was passing under broadbottom viaduct and the huge viaduct near dinting

• Agree 1