Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’ll never do a 2 week exhibition again it’s totally exhausting!

Now you will appreciate how stressful it could be to keep projects on the 'Big Railway' working when we did it with trains running. You end up living it 24/7 unless you are careful.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks again…few issues in the morning as I shorted the whole layout by mistake which sent the automation haywire. Apologies if you were there.
As a result the 9F & it’s charter routed itself the wrong way and came to grief on a switched diamond and 4 freights then collided! 
Sorted it but had me running around for a while. Only two of us running it all day though.

Lots of modifications due as a result of this experience including far stronger coupling to prevent trains parting.
And I’ll never do a 2 week exhibition again it’s totally exhausting!

I was hoping to make it to this show but events have conspired against me, sadly.

I note your comment regarding 2 week shows being exhausting and totally get it, will that affect future shows around the country as originally planned?

• RMweb Premium

Well I made it there this morning, as everyone else has said it's well worth the trip, absolutely awesome!

@HeatonLodge40 Simon, you looked busy trying to sort that wiring issue so I didn't want to bug you too much, but if you need any laser cutting doing for the new station... :D

Jonathan

JSModels

• RMweb Premium

I took my tame six year old on Sunday and we had a very enjoyable time.

We parked at Trinity Walk (50p for all day on Sunday!).

The layout is stunning. It captures the area amazingly well and we had lots of fun counting sheep and spotting the different cars and buildings. 

As has been mentioned, I felt the trains were let down by the lack of variety of coach and wagon types. It's already been mentioned that kit built stock doesn't cope with the demands. Hopefully when the likes of the Dapol HEA become available they'll be added to the roster.

I was also surprised that many of the trains were running without tail-lamps and that most locos hauling trains still had their red tail lamps lit. I'd have thought both would be easy to do in O Gauge.

I shall look forward to seeing it again when the station and yard area gets developed. Based on what has been done so far I won't be disappointed!

Steven B.

Should have read the replies earlier to my own question ! Parked in pay and display nearest £2.80.

Well worth going - it is a spectacle ! I think with the number of lines available you’d probably need a fiddle yard 10x bigger to “ not see “ the same trains reasonably often, but that doesn’t detract from the feat of making this monster .

This was my favourite diesel ..

D51EB46D-5D31-452A-AC19-EB904EF54492.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

19 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Should have read the replies earlier to my own question ! Parked in pay and display nearest £2.80.

Well worth going - it is a spectacle ! I think with the number of lines available you’d probably need a fiddle yard 10x bigger to “ not see “ the same trains reasonably often, but that doesn’t detract from the feat of making this monster .

This was my favourite diesel ..

D51EB46D-5D31-452A-AC19-EB904EF54492.jpeg

Its blue ....but not banger blue!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steven B said:

I took my tame six year old on Sunday and we had a very enjoyable time.

We parked at Trinity Walk (50p for all day on Sunday!).

The layout is stunning. It captures the area amazingly well and we had lots of fun counting sheep and spotting the different cars and buildings. 

As has been mentioned, I felt the trains were let down by the lack of variety of coach and wagon types. It's already been mentioned that kit built stock doesn't cope with the demands. Hopefully when the likes of the Dapol HEA become available they'll be added to the roster.

I was also surprised that many of the trains were running without tail-lamps and that most locos hauling trains still had their red tail lamps lit. I'd have thought both would be easy to do in O Gauge.

I shall look forward to seeing it again when the station and yard area gets developed. Based on what has been done so far I won't be disappointed!

Steven B.

Thanks for the compliments Steven.

One thing I have learned (about doing a two week stint operating a layout) is that initially trains start in the morning with tail lamps and no rear loco lamps.
However after locos fail/wagons fail/heavy trains split (because of coupling failures) and new wagons quickly slotted in, it’s impossible with two operators to make amends.  

It is a shame  there’s not enough variety of stock in O but that’s manufacturers for you

• Friendly/supportive 7

25 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks for the compliments Steven.

One thing I have learned (about doing a two week stint operating a layout) is that initially trains start in the morning with tail lamps and no rear loco lamps.
However after locos fail/wagons fail/heavy trains split (because of coupling failures) and new wagons quickly slotted in, it’s impossible with two operators to make amends.  

It is a shame  there’s not enough variety of stock in O but that’s manufacturers for you

Simon,

I know it is a bit different as this is a commercial undertaking, but perhaps what you need is a way of harnessing the local clubs to provide "stock lads" (though I suspect more will be >65 than <20 ! ) and/or, the internet community to augment you & your staff.  Even if it is a case of putting back coaches/wagons into trains after derailments, such a thing might help relieve some pressure from you to "deal with" putting back on the 2-27 wagons on the train that end up left behind (or piled into a stock tray) after an incident.  

Ideally candidates would know more than they will...as in, what train goes where, how digitrax and RR&Co work, and how to make the perfect cup of tea :).  but, if you could get some local support, it might make it a little less of a chore to run as you are.  

How I'd look at it is via a scheduled day (or multi days) for the "stock lads" to help, and provide a basic outline of what is needed on your 1/2 day of testing/setup prior to opening for the punters.  (as a must attend, not a "perhaps" attend).  That way you have some idea of their competency to do the job, and explain the role of the job (stand here, look good, until wagons are strewn all around, then put them back on the train...).

I'm of no use- there's no road from Shirley (Canada) to Shirley (UK ) :)

James

James

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, peach james said:

Simon,

I know it is a bit different as this is a commercial undertaking, but perhaps what you need is a way of harnessing the local clubs to provide "stock lads" (though I suspect more will be >65 than <20 ! ) and/or, the internet community to augment you & your staff.  Even if it is a case of putting back coaches/wagons into trains after derailments, such a thing might help relieve some pressure from you to "deal with" putting back on the 2-27 wagons on the train that end up left behind (or piled into a stock tray) after an incident.  

Ideally candidates would know more than they will...as in, what train goes where, how digitrax and RR&Co work, and how to make the perfect cup of tea :).  but, if you could get some local support, it might make it a little less of a chore to run as you are.  

How I'd look at it is via a scheduled day (or multi days) for the "stock lads" to help, and provide a basic outline of what is needed on your 1/2 day of testing/setup prior to opening for the punters.  (as a must attend, not a "perhaps" attend).  That way you have some idea of their competency to do the job, and explain the role of the job (stand here, look good, until wagons are strewn all around, then put them back on the train...).

I'm of no use- there's no road from Shirley (Canada) to Shirley (UK ) :)

James

James

You make some valid points James. 
I’m probably guilty of doing too much on my own to be honest, I hate asking for help. 
Defo a learning curve this ! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

The other day Neil Harvey visited the layout.

I used many of Neil’s photos on researching the location when I was originally researching it & on the information boards at the side of the model. 
This is one of his from the other day 

7DA77474-98CA-4D96-886D-32CC25FD661B.jpeg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 18

On 14/12/2021 at 20:12, Denbridge said:

I was hoping to make it to this show but events have conspired against me, sadly.

I note your comment regarding 2 week shows being exhausting and totally get it, will that affect future shows around the country as originally planned?

Nope I’ll just do 4 day events with more exhibition layouts as well as the trade etc 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Nope I’ll just do 4 day events with more exhibition layouts as well as the trade etc 

When you mentioned a two week stint I did wonder how that might go both physically and mentally. I find exhibiting a small layout for a few days quite hard work!

I hope when you get the layout back home after this show, you put your feet up for a few days and reflect on what a remarkable thing you have achieved.

I didn't think that a layout of that size and with that amount of beautiful scenic work down to all the tiny details could be built in the time frame that you have managed, let alone exhibited for two weeks continuous operating.

You have my great respect and warm congratulations.

Tony Gee 

• Like 4
  • Agree 13

Hoping to get to see this on the last day this Sunday.

Quick question, are there step-ups available at the venue for the little people to be able to see, or do I need to bring my own??

Cheers

Neal.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Hoping to get to see this on the last day this Sunday.

Quick question, are there step-ups available at the venue for the little people to be able to see, or do I need to bring my own??

Cheers

Neal.

I have seen that steps are available in the hall.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

When you mentioned a two week stint I did wonder how that might go both physically and mentally. I find exhibiting a small layout for a few days quite hard work!

I hope when you get the layout back home after this show, you put your feet up for a few days and reflect on what a remarkable thing you have achieved.

I didn't think that a layout of that size and with that amount of beautiful scenic work down to all the tiny details could be built in the time frame that you have managed, let alone exhibited for two weeks continuous operating.

You have my great respect and warm congratulations.

Tony Gee 

I know that there is a lot of automation but I was surprised to find Simon was operating with a very small crew (last Friday morning).

There were spectators along almost the full scenic length of the layout. So not always easy to examine all the detailed work even though I knew what to look for from photos on this thread. I think that many would not see the detailed work in the context of such a large layout.

I was lucky enough to find a space about halfway along from where the view of trains arriving from each end is really lifelike.  

• RMweb Gold
On 11/12/2021 at 19:38, HeatonLodge40 said:

Next time it will be far more layouts and the trade - as well as HLJ 

This is a good idea.

As much as the public like to see big layouts, it does not encourage them to become modellers unless they too have a lot of space available. Much better to show HLJ alongside some more modest sized layouts that folks can relate to their own spare room/loft/garage. Particularly good to have a small O gauge shunting layout by way of a comparison.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

They had a small number of very good three step step-ladders for little people on Sunday (<10?).

Worth taking one though if you value your back or shudder at the thought of lifting someone for an hour or two.

Here are a few snaps I took:

IMG_3855.JPG.e2db1ac16dfa406e2df1ee315b3fa792.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG.f4dcd84b6b62a6391d095edcce0446e1.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG.117ba8c9f776cc97f52bdba97b2cd84b.JPG

IMG_3881.JPG.952ff4c68d83a38493c5ed581f8be990.JPG

Steven.

• Like 4

Certainly plenty of (as far as I can see) positive Press and Media! 

It certainly cant harm, as its hopefully dispelled the "3 years to paint a Newsagent for the train set" mindset. 

Hoping to nip in  again over weekend. 

Meantime, I've got a newsagent to paint! 

My wife and I visited HLJ on Friday last and thoroughly enjoyed a few hours admiring the scenery and trains and wondering at the fantastic detail.  Since then I discovered this thread and have really enjoyed reading the history of the making.  

I have one comment about the exhibition set up in Wakefield which I hope is constructive for future venues but was possibly not practical in WX Wakefield due to the building layout.  Everyone enters at the East end where there are a lot of interesting buildings and of course trains arriving from North and East through the tunnels.  During our visit there were a lot of people congregating in this area and staying for long periods.  Not good in Covid times and somewhat congested and jostly for those viewing.  At the middle of the model, near the junction there was more space to view the trains and appreciate the huge distance that the trains travel.  It would be better if people could perhaps enter near the middle, or at least away from a major point of interest, circulate one way and then everyone is more spread out when they reach the beginning or end.

Edited by baglan
typo
  • Like 2