Heaton Lodge Junction

Not much to show really for a good few days work on these latest two boards. However with just the static grass to apply in various mixes/lengths and the 'water' in the culvert  (on the first board) I'll be able to put these two to bed and move on soon.

I've not bothered in the past painting the (B&Q) skimming plaster - just applied static grass over the white surface on top of plain gooey PVA, then sprinkled sieved earth on top. However I've noticed in previous completed boards bits of plaster showing through, so from now on I'll adopt the following techniques for all the winter grass embankments.

1) Glue in the polysterene tiles 

2) carve with a hot knife to shape (I use one from Hilltop tools about 18'' long)

3) apply B&Q plaster skim

4) push pebbles from the drive into the whole lot - these represent the tufts of wild grass often seen on railway embankments (I've even used rabbit pellets but they go soft unfortunately) :)

5) when dry paint with B&Q earth coloured emulsion

6) when dry paint on the PVA

7) apply static grass in various mixes and lengths then apply sieved earth.

8) spray matt varnish onto various sections of newly 'laid' grass then reapply static grass in slightly different shades on top

9) spray more matt varnish over the whole lot once again (don't need all these legal high drugs to get high in my garage)

10) Go and get a cup of tea

I'll update once steps 6-10 have been completed..

post-25007-0-73739400-1492524419.jpg

post-25007-0-14170400-1492524466.jpg

post-25007-0-57872800-1492524493.jpg

post-25007-0-30828400-1492524554_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-52103500-1492524748_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 15

Flattered to have had a few messages asking if I could go through the different stages of applying static grass in layers which makes up a huge amount of the scenery on Heaton Lodge. So here goes.

On the embankments I'm using right now a 50/50 mix of MiniNatur 6.5mm late fall and Noch 12mm wildegras.

I mix these in a blender for about 30 seconds to make them easier to apply through the static grass applicator. (Pic 1 & 2)

Pic 3/4 shows plain old PVA being painted on. The path is made with sieved dried earth (more on this later)

post-25007-0-30706600-1492549570_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-51905200-1492549592.jpg

post-25007-0-55027100-1492549739.jpg

post-25007-0-04270400-1492549764.jpg

• Like 8

On with the mixed grass..

Next 3 pics show the grass going on followed by a vac to pick up loose strands. Don't worry if the odd clod gets sucked up - you can fill this in with sieved earth later.

Sprinkle on the sieved earth liberally - note the difference immediately in the finished result.

Not quite finished yet though..

post-25007-0-91881800-1492549900.jpg

post-25007-0-25002400-1492549925.jpg

post-25007-0-56048700-1492550102.jpg

post-25007-0-58414200-1492550195.jpg

• Like 8

I then spray parts of the embankment with matt varnish before once again using the static grass applicator to apply shorter 4mm beige grass to these sections before lightly sprinkling this with sieved earth too.

Finally I use Postiche (available from Greenscene etc usual disclaimers) which I pull apart and lay on the grass before using a whole lot more matt spray varnish to coat it. I then use earth blend flock sprinkled lightly on this to give the appearance of weeds. (Used a bit too much here cos I wanted to watch the news).

post-25007-0-97772100-1492550705.jpg

post-25007-0-92769800-1492550737.jpg

post-25007-0-56017800-1492550759.jpg

• Like 9

After coating the postiche with earth blend flock (woodland scenic) I give it another light spray to seal it all in.

So to recap :

First mixed blend static grass goes on to the PVA followed by sprinkled sieved earth.

Then sprayed random sections with matt varnish and used the applicator to apply a shorter more beige layer to replicate different lengths.

More sieved earth

After which Postiche laid down here and there, liberally sprayed with matt varnish before woodland scenic earth blend sprinkled to mimic weeds

Finally yet more matt varnish to seal the whole lot in.

Hope that helps

Simon

post-25007-0-32190400-1492551267.jpg

post-25007-0-42324300-1492551285.jpg

post-25007-0-72770400-1492551317_thumb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the helpful information Simon.

I have seen a lot of people suggesting cheap hairspray instead of varnish as a fixative.  Have you tried this and decided varnish is better or just stuck with something that obviously works well?

Thanks for the helpful information Simon.

I have seen a lot of people suggesting cheap hairspray instead of varnish as a fixative.  Have you tried this and decided varnish is better or just stuck with something that obviously works well?

In all honesty although hairspray might work to 'seal' everything in I don't think it has the strength to hold different layers of static grass. Plus I suspect some brands might give an unwanted shine to the result. So to answer your question I'm just sticking to what I know works. And it is cheaper than various 'layering sprays' which I think are probably just matt varnish with a different label 

In all honesty although hairspray might work to 'seal' everything in I don't think it has the strength to hold different layers of static grass. Plus I suspect some brands might give an unwanted shine to the result. So to answer your question I'm just sticking to what I know works. And it is cheaper than various 'layering sprays' which I think are probably just matt varnish with a different label 

That's interesting - when I tried matt varnish it didn't appear to be strong enough to hold the top layer securely. Therefore I used a layering spray which works OK. I suspect it is based on PVA, mainly due to its colour, but I could be wrong.

Matt varnish would definitely be cheaper though - which brand do you use?

That's interesting - when I tried matt varnish it didn't appear to be strong enough to hold the top layer securely. Therefore I used a layering spray which works OK. I suspect it is based on PVA, mainly due to its colour, but I could be wrong.

Matt varnish would definitely be cheaper though - which brand do you use?

Hi Julian, its Rustoleum Crystal Clear. To be honest I've not tried layering spray - it may work better but the varnish does work as you can see

Thanks for posting

I have been using some of your other methods with good results esp the crushed earth

How liberal are you with the varnish is it a light or heavy coat before the next layer of static grass

cheers

I spray it quite thickly till you can see blobs of it on the blades of static grass. I'll sprinkle the earth on again afterwards, gives it that matt real look.

Finished the static grass the other side of the gantry this evening. Didn't bother with the postiche this time just did a second layer of longer grass straight onto matt spray varnish followed by a sprinkling of burnt grass flock.

Did use postiche for the brambles which handily cover the joins in the stone walls and randomly on the banks. I like Postiche its very fine so I tease it out lay it on the grass or wall, spray heavily with the varnish before sprinkling on heavily ground up dark brown dead leaves. Got the coffee grinder from Argos about £12.

post-25007-0-49762000-1492720876.jpg

post-25007-0-54088700-1492720907.jpg

post-25007-0-04519600-1492720953.jpg

post-25007-0-38402200-1492720983.jpg

post-25007-0-49412400-1492721005.jpg

• Like 18

Looks really good, very nice static grass techniques I can see you worked at them as they say practice makes perfect. Without meaning to sound like a pedantic arse, do the blobs of varnish disappear when dry?

Looks really good, very nice static grass techniques I can see you worked at them as they say practice makes perfect. Without meaning to sound like a pedantic arse, do the blobs of varnish disappear when dry?

The blobs get covered by the grass anyway, but I'm sure they would dry clear - I've never noticed them afterwards. But once again sprinkle the ground up earth on again quite finely onto the second layer.

i should mention my mixes of grass are meant to replicate grass in Winter. That said if HL was set in Summer I'd keep the same formula. Too bright a green ruins the effect in my humble opinion

• RMweb Premium

I use Treemendus earth, but the principle's the same, it does dull any shine from the base adhesive. 

Grass = green?   :nono:  It may start that way in the springtime, but it pales through the year and the longer the grass, the paler it [usually] is, so long grass, as you get on embankments or in cuttings, especially in summer, is almost always a pale green/straw colour. Of course in the summer, Heaton Lodge would also have to apply flower scatter to his grass...   :jester:

HL - I use postiche for brambles but have found I have to spray-paint it first, otherwise it's a bit too smooth for scatter (Woodland or GreenScene) to adhere to it. After painting, it takes spray adhesive and scatter more readily. Which varnish have you used? I've tried Humbrol spray and a variety of hairsprays and spray adhesives and the only one I could work with was the Deluxe spray glue. All the others were a waste of time. 

It's really good for creating an almost invisible frame to scatter on flock and such to give the impression of weeds etc slightly above the ground level.

Some use rubberised horsehair for the same purpose but for me it's a bit too coarse Allan