Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed very impressive. 

One thought does strike me though, levelling. Because the layout is so huge might you encounter problems with finding an exhibition hall where the floor is level enough over that kind of distance ? Perhaps adjustable screw jacks on the legs, a benchmark on every board and a laser levelling device or similar ? 

These might already be built into your overall design and I have missed it while enjoying the scenery .... 

Personally, I'd leave it where it is and charge admission, make it the centre of it's own constant exhibition.

I'd pay, with the added advantage that it's in the best city in the world!

Mike.

This will definitley be a layout to visit, even in a fixed location if it cant make various exhibitions. Even though the era is not my preference, the scenery and track laying is such high qaulity and so inspirational I would have to see it close up to fully enjoy it and take it in. Perhaps the venue would lend itself to a permanent model railway exhibition, skills centre and shop along the lines of Pendon?

Goodness even being mentioned in the same paragraph as Pendon is flattering even if that model is vastly superior - especially concerning the exquisite building.

HL isn't fixed, it will be moving (once complete) 3 times a year.

The many positive comments are inspirational to me too as sometimes things get very frustrating - as all us modellers know.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Couple more pics..

You're so lucky in having such a good collection of photos, of the prototype, to work from!

Kev.

;)

......HL isn't fixed, it will be moving (once complete) 3 times a year....

I'm confused - how on earth are you going to stop all the water sloshing out of these puddles?

post-17823-0-17532000-1521891644.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 2

Just been for a wander to the real Heaton Lodge Junction and was astonished at the tree clearance Network Rail have done. Its not been as clear as this since the early 1970's..

Here's a pic taken today from the original LNWR footbridge over the dive under line. The dive under tunnels are on the right (now only a single one used) and the Calder Valley line running over the top. The ex LNWR line to Huddersfield curves away to the left.

Compare this to the 1960's B&W snap from the David Hey collection of the same location but taken from the ex L&Y signal box which until 1970 was just over to the left of my snap.

I haven't got this far yet on the model - all the above are on boards 28 - 33. Right now I'm on 17/18.

post-25007-0-77486100-1521999943_thumb.png

post-25007-0-85676900-1522000897_thumb.png

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Just been for a wander to the real Heaton Lodge Junction and was astonished at the tree clearance Network Rail have done. Its not been as clear as this since the early 1970's..

Here's a pic taken today from the original LNWR footbridge over the dive under line. The dive under tunnels are on the right (now only a single one used) and the Calder Valley line running over the top. The ex LNWR line to Huddersfield curves away to the left.

Compare this to the 1960's B&W snap from the David Hey collection of the same location but taken from the ex L&Y signal box which until 1970 was just over to the left of my snap.

I haven't got this far yet on the model - all the above are on boards 28 - 33. Right now I'm on 17/18.

I had a trip to Manchester recently and was also surprised at how much tree clearance there has been.  It's still continuing in some places.   Perhaps someone has finally made the connection that if the trees aren't there to drop leaves then you don't need all those expensive rail head treatment teams and autumn timetables let alone all the re profiling of wheel flats.  It's only taken 40 years.  The only other explanation could be preparatory work for electrification.  However it does seem to be almost all the way from Leeds to Manchester.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Couple more pics..

Sublime - I would love to see a Duchess with a steam special flying down the track at full speed (Just so us steam fans can be even more envious of such an excellent layout). The detail and quality of work is truly amazing and will definitely look out for it when it makes its debut outing. 

I don't usually go for the 'photo of the real thing' comment, but in the case of post 356 I had to see the background of the 3rd picture to be sure.

As for tree clearance, Irish Rail seem to have come to the same realisation, so I suspect someone has either (a) employed somebody with some cop-on and shared it or (b) paid Deloitte's a huge consultancy fee or two.

Alan

I don't usually go for the 'photo of the real thing' comment, but in the case of post 356 I had to see the background of the 3rd picture to be sure.

As for tree clearance, Irish Rail seem to have come to the same realisation, so I suspect someone has either (a) employed somebody with some cop-on and shared it or (b) paid Deloitte's a huge consultancy fee or two.

Alan

Given the potential size of the fee, you’d hope they amounted to the same thing :)

Simon

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update..

the last couple of months has seen me working on the new paint shop and work shop in the basement of the old mill. I reckon in another month I'll be restarting modelling Heaton Lodge itself.

I've wired in 15 sockets and pleased to say I'm still here. The plasterboard is almost covering the stud walling I've also built and interior painted, just the lighting to install now.

Couple of snaps..the first is a view from where the Western end scenic break will be showing there's a way to go yet. Then there's the fiddle yard of the same length on the opposite side.

post-25007-0-13201500-1525712731_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-37796400-1525712863_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 13

Both these bridges were built by Allan Downes and await covering with Das clay and the stone courses scribed in. The viaduct spans the River Calder at Cooper Bridge on the prototype and was originally built by the Manchester and Leeds Railway in the late 1800's. The Girder bridge is still there but sadly disused since the 1960's and is situated within 10ft of the viaduct.

The derelict factory is also by Allan and is awaiting conversion to an old sewerage works which also lived a stones throw from the two bridges

post-25007-0-01444600-1525713427_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-23411200-1525713621_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-73590600-1525713867_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Thanks, the kind comments are appreciated as always.

I’ve been working on an idea to extend the width of the model from 4/5ft to 9ft.

In order to give perspective & distance I’m going to construct around 25 trolleys almost the same height as the layout but each about 4ft wide by 4/6ft long. On these will be modelled further scenery disappearing into the distance ending in a 3ft tall flat backscene.

With these being easily pushed around on wheels I’m thinking it’s a relatively easy way to almost double the width. That’s the idea anyway!

• Like 7

Simon,

I’m fully on board with your “trolley” approach. My own layout (it’s only a loco shed, so far) would simply be inaccessible if I couldn’t pull it out from the corner in which it resides and lift off the back scene.

I’ve used castors, and whilst I can manage it alone, it’s much much easier with two. Of course, once it’s pulled out the lounge becomes unusable, but that’s not a problem with which you’ll have much trouble.

My long term plan is a purpose made shed, and several modules of the layout will be arranged to move out for access to other bits, including the whole fiddle yard, which will live under part of the layout. To do this with scenic boards makes perfect sense, and I’m sure it will add to the already amazing visual impact of your layout.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

Simon,

I’m fully on board with your “trolley” approach. My own layout (it’s only a loco shed, so far) would simply be inaccessible if I couldn’t pull it out from the corner in which it resides and lift off the back scene.

I’ve used castors, and whilst I can manage it alone, it’s much much easier with two. Of course, once it’s pulled out the lounge becomes unusable, but that’s not a problem with which you’ll have much trouble.

My long term plan is a purpose made shed, and several modules of the layout will be arranged to move out for access to other bits, including the whole fiddle yard, which will live under part of the layout. To do this with scenic boards makes perfect sense, and I’m sure it will add to the already amazing visual impact of your layout.

Best

Simon

That's really interesting Simon cheers! Not something I've seen before.