Heaton Lodge Junction

Would welcome some suggestions on this..

I want to portray at least a 2 sq feet of the opposite banking with dead bracken on it. (See B&W pic) I’m using etched brass ‘bracken’ leaves but the problem is how to secure each leaf to the plaster coated banking.

I’ve thought of either soldering a 1 inch bit of brass rod to the end of each leaf then drilling a tiny hole and ‘plant’ each one. Hot glue gun won’t work as there is too much glue and it’s too messy for this. Given I’m going to need to do at least 1000 to get any sort of effect it’s a bit arduous!

Any suggestions much appreciated..

post-25007-0-86682100-1533485266_thumb.jpeg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 2

Simon

My approach would be...

Copper wire salvaged from old mains cable, cheap...

Cut strips of bracken from fret, leaving them attached to the long strip.

Drawing pin it to bit of soft timber

Big soldering iron, tack wire to leaf stalk, cut off wire. Repeat along the strip.

Turn the strip around and repeat for the ones facing the other way.

Spray green / brown

Remove drawing pins

Spray other side

When dry snip off individual stalks - Xuron cutters

Plant in holes

You can obviously be drilling the holes whilst the paint’s drying. :)

I think I counted 23 or 24 on one side of one strip and rather fewer on the other side - hopefully they are not opposite each other - but I’d expect to solder a strip in 10 or 15 minutes. Same again to paint, same again to plant. I reckon that makes for about 12 hours’ work to do 1000. It’ll be worth it!

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2

Simon

My approach would be...

Copper wire salvaged from old mains cable, cheap...

Cut strips of bracken from fret, leaving them attached to the long strip.

Drawing pin it to bit of soft timber

Big soldering iron, tack wire to leaf stalk, cut off wire. Repeat along the strip.

Turn the strip around and repeat for the ones facing the other way.

Spray green / brown

Remove drawing pins

Spray other side

When dry snip off individual stalks - Xuron cutters

Plant in holes

You can obviously be drilling the holes whilst the paint’s drying. :)

I think I counted 23 or 24 on one side of one strip and rather fewer on the other side - hopefully they are not opposite each other - but I’d expect to solder a strip in 10 or 15 minutes. Same again to paint, same again to plant. I reckon that makes for about 12 hours’ work to do 1000. It’ll be worth it!

Best

Simon

Maestro! What a great idea thanks very much Simon!

• RMweb Gold

Why not leave the leaves on the fret, just fold each side up so they are upright together? You can tack-solder wire across the fret to be bent down to fix in holes.

The fret can be curved along its length to give variation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why not leave the leaves on the fret, just fold each side up so they are upright together? You can tack-solder wire across the fret to be bent down to fix in holes.

The fret can be curved along its length to give variation.

I like this solution.

Would note though that it's a design fault on the etch not to have thought about how to plant them. ScaleLink etched ferns have "feet".

STubby,

your approach is entirely sensible!  Even if Simon cuts the strips into quarters or halves, it'll be quicker than my suggestion.

Though it's a bit of a shame they didn't etch them with variety of sizes along the strip - though I imagine that would mean fewer fronds per £ of brass...

best

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last few days has seen me working on the next couple boards. The real location at HL in this particular spot is covered in gorse. The best thing I’ve found to duplicate this is Polak’s medium bushes (available on line). I spray each individual bush with varnish then sprinkle on dark green scatter before doing the same with yellow to represent the flowers. A hot gun is used to secure each bush - 200 so far so about half way

Have you a link to your medium Polak bushes please.

Today I’ve been constructing the first prototype scenery trolley extension. Basically I figured this would be a relatively cheap and easy way of doubling the width of the model to between 8-10ft.

These trolleys are just to carry the scenery on the top deck (which on the prototype just consists thankfully of more of the same greenery).

I’ve used 2cm aluminium square tube with plastic push in connectors. (Aluminium warehouse on line). The tube cuts easily to size to make a rectangle with 4 castors at the bottom. 9mm MDF will cover the bottom deck to carry stock etc (might as well kill two birds etc) and the left side a sheet of thin aluminium onto which the back scene will bolt. That’s the idea anyway. I realised too late this first one is far too long to get through and swing round the main entrance so now going to have to cut it down a couple feet.

Anyone any idea on what to use to support the top deck onto which is just polystyrene scenery. I can only think of MDF as it has to be fairly strong and rigid to support the scenery and help strengthen the trolley..

post-25007-0-44173700-1533732575_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-94458100-1533732631_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Today I’ve been constructing the first prototype scenery trolley extension. Basically I figured this would be a relatively cheap and easy way of doubling the width of the model to between 8-10ft.

These trolleys are just to carry the scenery on the top deck (which on the prototype just consists thankfully of more of the same greenery).

I’ve used 2cm aluminium square tube with plastic push in connectors. (Aluminium warehouse on line). The tube cuts easily to size to make a rectangle with 4 castors at the bottom. 9mm MDF will cover the bottom deck to carry stock etc (might as well kill two birds etc) and the left side a sheet of thin aluminium onto which the back scene will bolt. That’s the idea anyway. I realised too late this first one is far too long to get through and swing round the main entrance so now going to have to cut it down a couple feet.

Anyone any idea on what to use to support the top deck onto which is just polystyrene scenery. I can only think of MDF as it has to be fairly strong and rigid to support the scenery and help strengthen the trolley..

In my experience mdf is not brilliant for that sort of application. a) it eventually absorbs water and then starts to bow when under any sort of load. I'm looking at a coffee table that has a lower shelf that has done just that. b) It's also very heavy especially when you got o 9mm thickness. I would personally go for a good quality birch ply or blockboard. It might be worth talking to a good timber supplier such as Arnold Laver or whover is in your area and going and looking at what sizes they stock. I used a lot of 10' by 5' sheets of 6mm ply for my layout and they did the cutting for me. I suspect that 6mm ply would do to support the scenery and would use 9mm for the lower level for the stock and associated carp etc.

Jamie

• Like 1