Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Premium

If you do follow Stubby's suggestion, Sheffield Insulations are a very good source.  In fact the Leeds branch was very helpful to modellers and rarely charged if you were willing to take pieces from their scrap pile.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

If you do follow Stubby's suggestion, Sheffield Insulations are a very good source.  In fact the Leeds branch was very helpful to modellers and rarely charged if you were willing to take pieces from their scrap pile.

Jamie

How sensible of them. It's saving them money on commercial waste disposal.

Thanks for the encouragement. Very occasionally I do get bit despondent when I realise what I’ve taken on!

To break things up I’ve been applying a 2mm thick layer of DAS to one of Allan Downes bridges he built for me. I can almost see him shaking his fist from above!

It feels a bit like painting a smiley face on one of those Chinese terracotta warriors in order to ‘improve’ it. Oh well.

Today I been planting the etched brass bracken leaves on the south bank. To get 2 sq ft of bracken is going to require another load of etches as this took me 5 hours and I’ve used 90% of what I had. To get the right effect you have to bunch up the etches with leaves on really closely together. I can see that bending each leaf is going to take even longer.

I’m pleased with the effect though, trying to figure out now how to cover the bracken ‘floor’. Might just sprinkle sieved earth then squirt the whole lot with matt varnish.

Used varying shades of matt leather and earth brown to get the dead bracken shade by the way, hot glue gun to stick it all down.

post-25007-0-93246600-1534529520_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-39941900-1534529561_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Today I been planting the etched brass bracken leaves on the south bank. To get 2 sq ft of bracken is going to require another load of etches as this took me 5 hours and I’ve used 90% of what I had. To get the right effect you have to bunch up the etches with leaves on really closely together. I can see that bending each leaf is going to take even longer.

I’m pleased with the effect though, trying to figure out now how to cover the bracken ‘floor’. Might just sprinkle sieved earth then squirt the whole lot with matt varnish.

Used varying shades of matt leather and earth brown to get the dead bracken shade by the way, hot glue gun to stick it all down.

My memory of playing in bracken as a kid is that the actual earth wasn't visible, just light brown dead bracken. It's looking great though.

Jamie

My memory of playing in bracken as a kid is that the actual earth wasn't visible, just light brown dead bracken. It's looking great though.

Jamie

Oh no - that would entail a whole load more frets, and then cutting all the fronds off to stick flat on the deck.

• Like 1

Much to the frustration of MrsD & the amusement of the kids,I have been collecting & drying coffee grounds, which do look quite a lot like “rich” earth, but my recollections of paths through bracken tend to agree with Jamie. Perhaps some “stuff like soil” as ground cover, and some pale dead fronds lying on top, just around the edges.

I’m guessing the colour below the vertical fronds is simply “dark & shadows” - if no telltale pale bits show, I’d leave it.

Best

Simon

Much to the frustration of MrsD & the amusement of the kids,I have been collecting & drying coffee grounds, which do look quite a lot like “rich” earth, but my recollections of paths through bracken tend to agree with Jamie. Perhaps some “stuff like soil” as ground cover, and some pale dead fronds lying on top, just around the edges.

I’m guessing the colour below the vertical fronds is simply “dark & shadows” - if no telltale pale bits show, I’d leave it.

Best

Simon

Meant to say Simon I tried the coffee grounds but couldn’t seem to prevent them going mouldy!

I always really enjoy your updates, especially if photos are included!

This always makes me chuckle, it really is a mammoth project which not only does verge on the insane but has to be one of the best layouts ever!!!

Stunning, truly stunning.

Cannot wait to see more updates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I’ve been away a couple weeks but done three days finishing the bracken and gorse planting. 40 large frets later and it looks like I’ve done virtually nothing. Trouble is to get any sort of effect the bracken has to be bunched right up.

Intended to continue today but arrived at the basement to find a crowd of people inc Yorkshire water trying to stop a burst water main that’s flooded the whole place.

Bit late for that. Fortunately it came in through a disused lift shaft and although the whole place is 2cm deep in water most of it didn’t come from above and deluge the model..That said the office/workshop carpets have had it.

Guess it could be worse. Least it wasn’t a fire.

post-25007-0-68549000-1536228592_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-68349200-1536228748_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-36546300-1536228775_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-34061400-1536228821_thumb.jpeg

Has it affected the feet of your layout legs?

If they are wood or similar, they will eventually swell and warp and wobble.  Hopefully their insurance will cover replacement, if necessary.

Hopefully no other damage

best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Gutted for you. Lets hope the water hasnt soaked into the legs too much and you are able to clean it up relatively quickly.

On another note, if you were modelling N gauge, those ferns would make a great alpine forest scene!!