Heaton Lodge Junction

a watch battery and tiny switch with an oil lamp fitted with a grain of wheat bulb

Prefer to use a light-emitting-diode (LED).  They come in a variety of sizes and colours, consume less power than a grain-of-wheat bulb and consequently don't become hot.  Your battery will last much longer.

Simon,

Have you experience long term with the masking tape?

I wonder if it is likely to become brittle and lose its stickiness, and I’d hate you to need to redo work. You could be confident of papier-mâché mache or fibreglass, but I just feel wary of the masking tape. I’d love to be proven wrong, of course!

Best

Simon

Just catching up on this epic layout! Regarding 1984 steam specials the best place to see what was running aroundwould be the rail scene videos.. I have the railscene "Rail tours " VHS tape some where.. so I recall practically wearing the tape out as a 14 year old about 4 years later... the locos I remember were "Sir Lamiel" duchess of Hamilton Mallard and I think Evening Star. You could have quite a selection. All of those are available RTR. I also recall they were running Mk1's which were blue grey but could at random have alsorts of other things mixed in.

Just catching up on this epic layout! Regarding 1984 steam specials the best place to see what was running aroundwould be the rail scene videos.. I have the railscene "Rail tours " VHS tape some where.. so I recall practically wearing the tape out as a 14 year old about 4 years later... the locos I remember were "Sir Lamiel" duchess of Hamilton Mallard and I think Evening Star. You could have quite a selection. All of those are available RTR. I also recall they were running Mk1's which were blue grey but could at random have alsorts of other things mixed in.

add into the mix numerous Black 5s, Lord Nelson, 5XP Leander, Princess Elizabeth, Flying Scotsman, Green Arrow the mid 80s saw a good variety. I think the SLOA MK1 pullman set was also operating them.

Borrowing on from theatre scenery, which in turn has borrowed from industry, the optimum material is likely to be IDENDEN. It is a thixotropic PVA based compound which is sold as fire-protection for lagging etc., but in theatre we use it for scrimming carved foam sculptures and scenery - both to fire protect them and to give them an unbreakable, paintable shell. Being PVA based, you can pre-colour it, or you can paint it afterwards. We would normally lay butter-muslin or similar over the foam, and then stipple this stuff into it, or sometimes just paint straight over the foam. You can create texture, you can water it down, and it dries in the same way as PVA, always remaining flexible.

I always use this technique for my scenery, but I cheat, and instead of using IDENDEN, I use the readymix polyfiller, and put a large quantity of PVA into it, so it becomes a paste. This bulks the PVA out and gives texture, and gives a bomb-proof, crack-proof scenic shell.

Available in white, grey and black if my memory serves..... The stuff isn't cheap, but iitt certainly does a good job.

Giles thanks for that I will track it down on the internet!

Crepello - it will be at Warley in 2020. I wrote an article for BRM some months ago and whoever edited it decided to insert 2019 which has never been the case.

Thanks for all the steam charter suggestions ..favourites are the 9F going west with a Copy Pit charter & the Duchess going east with ‘The Downesman’ (yep good old Allan)

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Giles thanks for that I will track it down on the internet!

Crepello - it will be at Warley in 2020. I wrote an article for BRM some months ago and whoever edited it decided to insert 2019 which has never been the case.

Thanks for all the steam charter suggestions ..favourites are the 9F going west with a Copy Pit charter & the Duchess going east with ‘The Downesman’ (yep good old Allan)

I've got a photo somewhere of Evening star taken at about that time haling the crab through Cross Gates heading for Keighley.

Jamie

Finished the long dirt track up to the gas bottle compound which I’m now pretty pleased with.

I wanted to show lots of different surfaces some of which had worn away so I decided to mimic the real thing by ‘layering’ surfaces.

In other words the first layer is a coat of Humbrol no 5 grey gloss paint neat. Second layer is chinchilla dust from pets at home. Third is more grey gloss paint followed by a heavy sprinkling of wood ash (from the log burner).

Then the whole lot is left to dry for a couple of days.

Used a vac to get rid of all the loose surface before an old toothbrush was used to distress the top surface in a number of places revealing the different layers beneath..

After the addition of dead leaves, AK interactive ‘puddles’ the odd drain cover and sieved grit for the middle it’s done.

Other thing worth mentioning is now I’ve a lot more time to devote to this project I’ve taken on the track construction and laying too. Fortunately on the real thing there was no more concrete track or pointwork (the huge crossover arrives on Thursday which will be the subject of the next post).

So I’ll be using Peco flatbottom track albeit with the sleeper webs cut to move the sleepers to correct BR spacing and cut into scale 60ft sections (each of which has its own power feed) connected by dummy fishplates..

post-25007-0-17537900-1540283635_thumb.png

post-25007-0-88948200-1540283649_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-93403000-1540283669_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-10172300-1540283965_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

I don't think the "Craftsmanship/Clever" button does you justice - this is an absolutely outstanding piece of modelling. I only wish I had a fraction of your undoubted vision, skill, patience and techniques to produce such realistic models. Keep up this most excellent work. It will be a sheer delight to see the finished layout.