Heaton Lodge Junction

Hi Wayne, the capping are just 4mm plywood strip cut to length before rounding off the edges with a sander or file. I then make a cut widthways every scale 4ft or so to get the individual stone look. Finish it off by brush painting them neat weathered black with a quick spray of moss green.

Simon

Merry Christmas Simon,

I have just shown my wife your amazing layout and she reckons you must live on site, in the first photo that you have put up today the wife reckons in the left hand corner you have your washing hanging up ! : )

Anyway all the best and keep up the good work,

Martyn.

Merry Christmas Simon,

I have just shown my wife your amazing layout and she reckons you must live on site, in the first photo that you have put up today the wife reckons in the left hand corner you have your washing hanging up ! : )

Anyway all the best and keep up the good work,

Martyn.

She’s not too far from the truth Martyn!

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Simon, simply epic as others have said words can’t describe it.

The scale is immense, the whole thing so realistic.

Top of the top layouts on here when it’s done for sure.

Look forward to seeing it.

Cheers

Ade.

Dont know if this appeals to you but I suspect your amazing work would reach a bigger appreciative audience in a more prominent sub-forum rather than under scenery...maybe the layouts sub-forum for example

Dont know if that's something you'd want to do or if indeed it can be done but certainly work like this deserves the biggest audience. Its simply outstanding.

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 2

Steve, I think I’m about half way, certainly of the scenic side.

The chaps at White Rose modelworks (who build the cassettes/frames) have agreed to build the fiddle yard which although 150ft long - is just Peco track. This will allow me to crack on with the scenic side in order to get it finished within 12-14 months.

Thanks, Simon

• Like 10

Cracking on with the second of three board/frames which incorporates the double junction crossover. Laying the individual ‘concrete’ slabs for the trunking is time consuming but worth it I think.

I’m cutting back on the use of plaster skim to seal the carved polystyrene in favour of sealing any small gaps with masking tape instead. It’s lighter and saves time. So I just paint the polystyrene/masking tape brown before the grass goes on. Did all this today. Beats watching football.

post-25007-0-09315100-1546798688_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-28951600-1546798719_thumb.png

post-25007-0-61142000-1546798877_thumb.png

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Simon looking good, all for being easy Kevin Tregunna off YouTube paints the insulation board brown and goes straight at it with the static grass, grant you it’s not to a standard of your layout but may be worth a trial?

5.26 in.

Cheers

Edited by AdeMoore

Thanks for that. Yes I’ve tried static grass on plain polystyrene but it looks just too flat for me if there’s no lumps or bumps whatsoever.

Instead of the plaster I now melt the polystyrene randomly with the hot knife to create an uneven surface and add pebbles here and there.

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. Yes I’ve tried static grass on plain polystyrene but it looks just too flat for me if there’s no lumps or bumps whatsoever.

Instead of the plaster I now melt the polystyrene randomly with the hot knife to create an uneven surface and add pebbles here and there.

Brilliant, I get it now to flat. I knew yours was up another level, another trick of yours shared many thanks.

Cheers

Ade