Heaton Lodge Junction

Guest teacupteacup

This is absolutely outrageous.  I'd seen it mentioned a few times before but never paid much attention otherwise.

I've just spent the past hour-odd reading through from the start, this has got to be best, most consistent, modelling I have seen.  I take my hat off to you!

And 180ft long?  Im stressing over the 11ft of my proposed 7mm layout!

Thought it might be useful to some to repeat the process I use for constructing concrete trunking.

As I mentioned I use evergreen styrene channel (width depends on scale - for 7mm I use 268 (7.9mm wide).

Cut into lengths of 1/1.5cm I stick the pieces down onto double sided tape to prevent them flying away when painting.

Halfords grey primer is then covered with Precision paints concrete spray then when wet talc sprinkled on through a sieve.

If nothing else you will have very sweet smelling concrete trunking.

I’ll leave this lot to dry tonight then tomorrow brush off the excess talc and dust with black weathering powder to tone everything down.

I usually leave a dozen or so pieces free from weathering to represent new lengths of trunking.

ABAC00B9-882B-45DB-8BA9-F0F5AABCEB10.jpeg

B11BDBE5-0A44-4253-AC9B-583E2D44342B.jpeg

D83AC219-E31B-4F2B-81C5-B935F9776DA3.jpeg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
Edited for spelling
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

And finally given I seem to be in writing mood today, I’m digressing from spraying by beginning building this lovely etched brass kit of a lattice footbridge. 

This kit is fortunately an almost exact copy of the example still there today at Heaton Lodge that was built in 1900 by the LNWR. 

That said I’m going to need two kits since there are two sets of stairs at each side and the one at HL is taller than normal. 

I often wonder how many 9F’s, 8F’s and Black 5’s have passed under this footbridge since 1900

A316DF9E-49CD-45BF-B9CF-1B79AC7A199C.jpeg

758C2AB1-AF11-401F-9A9E-CCBD07C80694.png

• Like 15

Simon,

might I suggest that you don’t araldite it in, as if it were damaged, it would be hell to remove without a

leaving a considerable crater in your lovely scenery.  Is it not possible to fix the “tails” of the legs with nuts?

this would allow levelling, and removal should it ever be needed

atb

simon

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Good point Simon never thought of that. I will go with your suggestion thanks

I use M2 threaded rod for such things on Green Ayre both for bridges and the platform canopies. Model aircraft shops sell it in long lengths for aircraft control gear, along with the nuts and washers.   I had my platform canopy supports cast with the threaded rod running through the centre.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I see a Kettle is heading through Heaton Jn 12.05 today.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55047/2019/03/03/advanced

A1 Tornado Doncaster to Edinburgh. Presume it where this ace model is based on?

https://www.a1steam.com/2018/03/23/the-auld-reekie/

See from FB it left a little late.

Hope you don’t mind me putting this here?

Cheers 

Ade

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Nah it’s not the same Junction Ade shame as I’d have gone to see it. 

It came pretty close though - Wakefield Westgate is about 8 miles from Heaton Lodge Jct

Oh dear sorry about that missed the important Lodge bit I see now!

Educated now.

i guess there is a map in the topic somewhere I’ll have have a peruse.

Cheers 

Well with the footbridge now in its new home the last couple of hours I turned my attention to building an ex PW hut from Intentio models (usual disclaimers).

This is a lovely little laser cut kit which I was determined to absolutely wreck (in a good way) to make up a really dilapidated ex LNWR/LNER hut that existed at HL up to about 1980 so strictly speaking isn’t in the ‘enverlope’ of mid ‘80’s era but hey ho.

You’ll see from the pics I’ve modified this kit by gouging out the wood (concrete) in numerous places to reveal the rusty reinforcing bars and at the rear removed 2 panels completely. The bars are just brass wire superglued into position.

The window has been smashed and the door fallen off its hinges.

The door in the kit is a tad too thick to make it look reasonably passable while open (or lying on the ground) so I made a new one from etched brass, scribed some planks onto the brass and added some bracing from styrene. The edges of the door I’ve attacked with a slitting disc too to mimic rotting wood.

Anyway it took two hours in total and is about to get painted. I’ll post a pic of the result when complete ..

C77C2547-6E46-423D-BBB4-C69163234114.jpeg

341C9E6B-9ECC-4BEE-B14E-559232AEC410.jpeg

CA0E9459-B5D7-47A0-81DF-7401496CA5F3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

An afternoon of painting has had the concrete PW hut nearing the finishing line.

I decided to use an airbrush on this as I didn’t want to cover the gaps between the concrete panels. 

Using a mix of plain precision weathered concrete I added some warm yellow to the mix and shaded that in. 

Some misting of dirty black followed then some yellow flicked on with a toothbrush. 

I forgot the fumes from superglue frost up clear plastic - fortunately HL is set in winter so got away with it on the windows. 

First pic isn’t snow - it’s talc dusted on the wet paint to add texture then brushed off. Rust is painted on the reinforcing bars and window frames painted green and we aren’t far off.

Does anyone know what the roofs were made of? I’m tempted to make a big hole in it but before I do I need to know what materials were used when these were built..

DF975A82-E7B4-4420-961A-8A5AD8692F7E.jpeg

2128737C-F440-404C-9F47-546713D75BDD.jpeg

F3882618-D448-4396-A3B6-F8924624CF20.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

An afternoon of painting has had the concrete PW hut nearing the finishing line.

I decided to use an airbrush on this as I didn’t want to cover the gaps between the concrete panels. 

Using a mix of plain precision weathered concrete I added some warm yellow to the mix and shaded that in. 

Some misting of dirty black followed then some yellow flicked on with a toothbrush. 

I forgot the fumes from superglue frost up clear plastic - fortunately HL is set in winter so got away with it on the windows. 

First pic isn’t snow - it’s talc dusted on the wet paint to add texture then brushed off. Rust is painted on the reinforcing bars and window frames painted green and we aren’t far off.

Does anyone know what the roofs were made of? I’m tempted to make a big hole in it but before I do I need to know what materials were used when these were built..

DF975A82-E7B4-4420-961A-8A5AD8692F7E.jpeg

2128737C-F440-404C-9F47-546713D75BDD.jpeg

F3882618-D448-4396-A3B6-F8924624CF20.jpeg

Hi Simon,

Your modelling skills and vision/observations/eye-for-detail continue to astound me - truly breath-taking. As far as I can recall (from the LNER side of things) the roofs were concrete slabs, possibly in sections as opposed to a single slab. I'll have a look through my photos etc. to see if can confirm this.

• Like 1