Jump to content

allan downes

Heaton Lodge Junction

Recommended Posts

I can only repeat what I and numerous others have previously said, simply stunning modelling! Don't know how you do it, but please don't stop. Can't wait to see it completed and in "action". 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
18 hours ago, iands said:

I can only repeat what I and numerous others have previously said, simply stunning modelling! Don't know how you do it, but please don't stop. Can't wait to see it completed and in "action". 

Thanks. I’m aiming for the ‘golden spike’ ie a full circuit by the end of March 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/12/2019 at 14:08, sparkey1957 said:

More in Keeping with your prefered modelling theme, On a very murky day Large Logo 47537 `Sir Gwynedd/County of Gwynedd' coming round from the burowwing junction at Heaton Lodge probably on a Newcastle or Scarborough train. Date wise between 1987 - 1989 but not sure, should have made notes but too late was the cry.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/1176394150_47537HeatonLodgeJcn.jpg.79d5814b653bcdefd4acadb5e2510c62.jpg

Yes the down fast was lifted in 1986 and the dive under line singled in ‘88 so 87 my guess.

 

I tried to get a similar angle on the model just out of curiosity.. unfortunately no large logo 47 tho

F2E6EA26-C3AF-4467-AEF0-5684C9A7F24E.png

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2019 at 11:15, HeatonLodge40 said:

Yes the down fast was lifted in 1986 and the dive under line singled in ‘88 so 87 my guess.

 

I tried to get a similar angle on the model just out of curiosity.. unfortunately no large logo 47 tho

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/F2E6EA26-C3AF-4467-AEF0-5684C9A7F24E.png.dd9eddb24f2662eabc0d73b66a96dac7.png

 

img673.jpg

img674.jpg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I’d seen most of them but not those thanks! 
Ironic Network Rail are going to be relaying it as part of the electrification scheme 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1_Colne_Bridge_and_BattyefordV2_FINAL.pdf

10 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thought I’d seen most of them but not those thanks! 
Ironic Network Rail are going to be relaying it as part of the electrification scheme 

I assume you've seen the Network Rail plans for the scheme? - see attached.

1_Colne_Bridge_and_BattyefordV2_FINAL.pdf

Edited by AndrewT
Attachment
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I hadn’t no thank you for that too.

I can see why the cottages will disappear..

 Using part of the old Midland Railway Huddersfield (Newtown Goods) branch formation by the look of things. I assume, in the absence of available information from NR that the overall radius of the curve from / to Huddersfield for the new 'fast' lines is to be eased to allow higher speed running - hence the demolition of the houses and use of the disused MR track formation. Anyone out there from NR know??

Edited by AndrewT
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be very surprised if we ever see this come to fruition. Its gone very quiet on all the the "Northern Powerhouse" Bull S**t . But never say never. Either way it will take years the cottages alone will be a CP issue which will drag on and on and so it should I wouldn't want turfing out my home either, also there may be listed building issues with them who knows.

Edited by sparkey1957

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sparkey1957 said:

I will be very surprised if we ever see this come to fruition. Its gone very quiet on all the the "Northern Powerhouse" Bull S**t . But never say never. Either way it will take years the cottages alone will be a CP issue which will drag on and on and so it should I wouldn't want turfing out my home either, also there may be listed building issues with them who knows.

 

Not listed - I just checked. They've already had local consultation meetings and intend to submit a Transport and Works Act order in Autumn 2020. I understand from another source that the work is expected to last until end of 2024 with around 156 weeks of line closure out of the total 208 week project. All details and all the other connecting maps here:  https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/railway-upgrade-plan/key-projects/transpennine-route-upgrade/huddersfield-to-westtown-dewsbury/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AndrewT said:

 

Not listed - I just checked. They've already had local consultation meetings and intend to submit a Transport and Works Act order in Autumn 2020. I understand from another source that the work is expected to last until end of 2024 with around 156 weeks of line closure out of the total 208 week project. All details and all the other connecting maps here:  https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/railway-upgrade-plan/key-projects/transpennine-route-upgrade/huddersfield-to-westtown-dewsbury/

I will reiterate what I said before, Until I actually see it happening I will have my doubts. But I do hope i'm wrong. It will be a sad day  when/If the cottages go as well.

Edited by sparkey1957
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sparkey1957 said:

I will reiterate what I said before, Until I actually see it happening I will have my doubts. But I do hope i'm wrong. It will be a sad day  when/If the cottages go as well.

 

And I for one couldn't agree more. This area was a formative part of my teens and I'd hate to see some of the heritage lost for the sake of saving a few minutes on a journey. Thankfully - it's thanks to models of this sort and calibre (and attention to minute detail) help preserve those memories.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With track work and detailing on the lineside now complete on these two latest frames, I’m now on with infilling them with polystyrene carved to shape. 
I use small blocks of wood hot glued to the inner frames to prop up the lower polystyrene sheets and give them some strength. 

I then use gaffer tape frequently to cover gaps, it works for me despite having a shiny surface. 
Then it’s a thin coat of ready mixed smoother (plaster basically) which is dabbed with a spreader to roughen the surface.

On the other pic I’m constructing a stream below the track bed level.

I hot glued a length of plywood in first (checking with a spirit level) before carving polystyrene to fit and DAS clay to fill in the gaps. 
I’ll probably use some Woodland Scenics deep pour water for the stream itself - once I’ve planted dead branches, stones, an old cooker & toilet in it first :) 

765DF8F2-54FC-404A-B370-D7ACC269884C.png

2D189909-902D-467F-B000-A758BA178B54.png

  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

once I’ve planted dead branches, stones, an old cooker & toilet in it first :) 

 

Vandal!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are very brave splashing all that plaster around after you have detailed the track!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It dries pretty quick, most of it ends up on me!

 

Here is the track plan superimposed onto a PC programme.

Thanks to a trio of IT wizards who have very kindly offered to give their time to help, HLJ will have the option of being either fully automated or fully manual control.

This means a non stop programme of complicated manoeuvres with constant heavy traffic can be programmed if train spotting is the order of the day..

 

One good thing about it’s size is that it will take so long for a train to make a full circuit, it’s doubtful whether the viewing public would remember it should the same train be sent straight out again.

A210671D-9DFE-456D-8982-4832ED02F012.png

Edited by HeatonLodge40
Spelling
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having spent this evening going through the entire thread, I can only echo what many have said- WOW! Its fair to say that I can't recall ever seeing something of this magnitude being created before. What really makes it for me is the consistency of standards throughout the build. The scenery is of such a high standard and so well observed, its mind blowing. really looking forward to getting to Warley in 2020 to see this in the flesh. I'm sure that I am not alone in being so inspired by the layout. Top man Simon.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought using gaffer tape so close to the edge of the scenic work ie near to the troughing route was a bit risky and could lead to cracking when the layout is moved around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LongRail said:

I would have thought using gaffer tape so close to the edge of the scenic work ie near to the troughing route was a bit risky and could lead to cracking when the layout is moved around.

Well it’s done now. My thinking is if I’ve built it then I can fix it :) 

  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with a final skim of plaster now on, once this lot is dry I’ll paint the whole shebang with brown emulsion. 
Then it’s static grass time.

 

The plastic see through sheets between frames you may notice are there to stop the scenery and ballast bonding where you don’t want them to.

04064CD3-56C4-4F41-9A3C-EEF3848BED6A.jpeg

75308A1D-17AE-4070-842A-C647BE95C034.jpeg

  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again Simon, your modelling skills and attention to detail is truly astonishing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might not be a high-speed line, but it seems to me it's high-speed progress. Truly inspirational, Simon, and thank you for allowing us all to watch your progress..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful and superb modelling.

Can't wait to see this in the flesh.

Edited by KNP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.