Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Looks fab! 
Only issue with kitbuilt stuff on HLJ is they are rarely heavy enough to pull anything longer than 6/7 coaches or 15 wagons, even with lead weights inside.
So going forward both the kitbuilt 56’s (56074 & 09) will usually be seen running together pulling a heavy (40 +) MGR train.

With their diecast chassis the Heljan’s on the other hand will romp away with 40 on their own.

I’m almost done on the west end curves now, next week it’s back to proper modelling.

Too much rolling resistance, your curves need to be a larger radius!

Mike.

(Running for cover.)

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Looks fab! 
Only issue with kitbuilt stuff on HLJ is they are rarely heavy enough to pull anything longer than 6/7 coaches or 15 wagons, even with lead weights inside.
So going forward both the kitbuilt 56’s (56074 & 09) will usually be seen running together pulling a heavy (40 +) MGR train.

With their diecast chassis the Heljan’s on the other hand will romp away with 40 on their own.

I’m almost done on the west end curves now, next week it’s back to proper modelling.

One advantage of kitbuilt diesels is theres usually plenty of room the add weight. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi

Cracking looking beast.

What motors (how many motors) and gearsets/boxes are fitted to it? Is it all wheel drive?

It is true to say that some brass and resin kits need extra weight, but they should be on a par with RTR.

Regards,

CME

Yes all wheel drive with two Maxon motors and Delrin chain drive. Gearbox is a ABC gears unit. 

There isn’t much room for more weight once sound/decoder/smoke unit fitted. 
Loco has to weigh 2.7/3kgs to pull 36 MGR’s basically, at the moment it’s about 2kg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Yes all wheel drive with two Maxon motors and Delrin chain drive. Gearbox is a ABC gears unit. 

There isn’t much room for more weight once sound/decoder/smoke unit fitted. 
Loco has to weigh 2.7/3kgs to pull 36 MGR’s basically, at the moment it’s about 2kg

Ahhhh yes, I see, the electronics take up a lot of space so it's a trade off.

Shame that some PCBs can't be manufactured to reduce some of that physical 'clutter' (wiring/bulk etc).

Still a nice looking loco though - it's like the old MR adage, what's better than a Compound? Two Compounds! LOL!

I can get away with one power bogie and Radio Control which means added weight with batteries too - still able to pull reasonable trains, not that I need or intend to.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Gold

I have just received the most horrendous news and it has sent me to a very dark place indeed......................Due to other commitments outside of my control, I wont be able to make Warley 2020 therefore I will miss this, the largest and probably best, most realistic, prototypical layout in the land!!!

Worst still, it means I will now have to take the wife to some of the shopping centre's this is stopping at so I can see it along with Joe public and the screaming kid society!!

Not impressed!

BTW: Beautiful work and the weathering on that diesel is just superb - shame its not a preserved Princess or Duchess though!!!! I was gutted when the BR/LMR liveried Duchess of Hamilton didn't make your list of possible heritage train formations though! Although i'm not sure if it went through Heaton Lodge when it was running on the mainline in the 80's!

• Friendly/supportive 6

Thanks Ian, I’m not sure either if a Duchess went through HLJ in the ‘80’s but the problem is there isn’t a RTR example in ‘O’. Shame.
There will be a number of steam locos pulling charters in the future on HLJ but a 9F & an A4 will have to do for now. When the 9F eventually lands I will post a video. With synchronised smoke & sound it should look great with 13 on.

Ref shopping centres you might find they are just as good a bet as Warley. You won’t have to pay £16 for parking for a start!

I will publish a list of where and when HLJ will be later this year.

Just started back on scenery today. 
I have 4 months to finish the remaining eight 5’x4’ frames which includes the 3ft x 5ft River Calder. 

Another more comprehensive update soon..

Oh and thanks to all who voted for me in the RM modelling awards, very flattered & much appreciated. :) 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks Ian, I’m not sure either if a Duchess went through HLJ in the ‘80’s but the problem is there isn’t a RTR example in ‘O’. Shame.
There will be a number of steam locos pulling charters in the future on HLJ but a 9F & an A4 will have to do for now. When the 9F eventually lands I will post a video. With synchronised smoke & sound it should look great with 13 on.

Ref shopping centres you might find they are just as good a bet as Warley. You won’t have to pay £16 for parking for a start!

I will publish a list of where and when HLJ will be later this year.

Just started back on scenery today. 
I have 4 months to finish the remaining eight 5’x4’ frames which includes the 3ft x 5ft River Calder. 

Another more comprehensive update soon..

Oh and thanks to all who voted for me in the RM modelling awards, very flattered & much appreciated. :) 

You were robbed; that award definitely should have been yours!  HLJ is surely the undisputed king of all layouts in the land.  What an inspiration.

PM

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, uk_pm said:

You were robbed;

No-one's been robbed of anything - I feel the outcome may be substantially different next year when more people have been 'exposed' to the behemoth.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

No-one's been robbed of anything - I feel the outcome may be substantially different next year when more people have been 'exposed' to the behemoth.

Erm, the exclamation mark was supposed to connote a humorous aside intended to convey my admiration for this wonderful project. Apologies if my cack-handed efforts have caused consternation to the moderators of RMWeb. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are heading to the East of England or Lakeside I will definitely try to get to see it, and I am sure you will do much better in the next round of competitions once they see this layout in person as Andy Y points out.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Your dedication and perseverance is shining through.....

Come on, please keep going ..... only two words for this master piece ...... memories & dedication.....

Trust me ...... We all want to see it ....

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, jcarta said:

Your dedication and perseverance is shining through.....

Come on, please keep going ..... only two words for this master piece ...... memories & dedication.....

Trust me ...... We all want to see it ....

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Yes in all honesty most days are good, some are very frustrating, some demoralising & some I just kick the door hard and go home early. :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Another milestone today in that the first gantry is now fully automated thanks to my software buddies.
This so passing trains will now initiate the full red/yellow/double yellow/green sequence depending on their positions in the different block sections around the layout.

The aspects need dimming slightly and the ‘delay’ between them programming in..

Here’s a short clip of a 56 testing ..

https://youtu.be/27yJcH9LIDA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Another milestone today in that the first gantry is now fully automated thanks to my software buddies.
This so passing trains will now initiate the full red/yellow/double yellow/green sequence depending on their positions in the different block sections around the layout.

The aspects need dimming slightly and the ‘delay’ between them programming in..

Here’s a short clip of a 56 testing ..

https://youtu.be/27yJcH9LIDA

A minor tweak is also needed to stop the other red flickering when the signal changes from green to red. I am sure your software boys will be up to the task.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1