Heaton Lodge Junction

Simon. Sorry to say, but those mini doorhandles should have been from the 1981 very limited 'Indian-Anglo' test batch. Only 43 and a half were actually made, but you know, these things should be right. Unfortunately the rear boot door hinges are also incorrect, for this model year, they were a special variation of the MFI Millbourne 180 deg triple door wardrobe. I have a volume of 'Great British flatpack wardrobes and their hinges' if you would like to pm to arrange to borrow it. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

I have found that there is I have a problem coming up with words to describe how marvellous all this is without repeating myself. There are so many instances where the view could be of the real thing, but then that's the idea, isn't it? Splendid work, Simon, so please continue to inspire us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

like the rest of the comments on this, I've to echo everyone else's. This is modelling at its best. This layout, just oozes quality and detail. Ive followed this from day one, and it still blows my mind, and is a source for inspiration and ideas.

Fantastic work.

Regards Jeff

ps think we need either an amazing or obscene button.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Not too far to go now!

By and large I think what you've achieved here with HLJ is absolutely amazing.... I really do take my hat off to you and think this is one impressive piece of railway modelling, particularly on a scale that many of us could only dream about. I keep looking in on this thread and find it inspiring, so a big thank you to you for that. I'm really looking forward to seeing it when the opportunity comes around.

I've thought long and hard about this post, so please don't take it as criticism for the sake of it. With your eye for detail, I'm sure you may appreciate some feedback, no matter how pedantic it sounds. The one thing that makes any model railway stand out is the attention to detail, but I have noticed you've fallen for the usual trap when it comes to fence posts and the way the tensioning wires are fixed. The link below shows how these wires are fixed to the posts, normally with loops which pass through the holes. So many times I've seen the tension wires pass through the posts on model railways, and to me it doesn't observe the real thing, and besides any fencing contractor wouldn't want to spend hours threading the wire through each post hole.

https://www.clarkesofwalsham.co.uk/fencing/chain-link-fence-supplies.html

Someone else mentioned the glass in your mini - superb bit of modelling, but would be better for having no glass at all.

As I said, it's never easy offering any constructive criticism and I hope you take these points in the way they're meant. I look forward to the next update on this superb project..... without a doubt it takes me back to a place and time with fondness.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Simon

What will life be like "After Heaton lodge Junction" ???

One of the best things about this thread is I always get notifications of 'Allan Downes' thread which makes me smile every time I read it. I never met him, but had marvelled at his work since the late 70's. He obviously knew this was going to be something special

All the best

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kier Hardy said:

By and large I think what you've achieved here with HLJ is absolutely amazing.... I really do take my hat off to you and think this is one impressive piece of railway modelling, particularly on a scale that many of us could only dream about. I keep looking in on this thread and find it inspiring, so a big thank you to you for that. I'm really looking forward to seeing it when the opportunity comes around.

I've thought long and hard about this post, so please don't take it as criticism for the sake of it. With your eye for detail, I'm sure you may appreciate some feedback, no matter how pedantic it sounds. The one thing that makes any model railway stand out is the attention to detail, but I have noticed you've fallen for the usual trap when it comes to fence posts and the way the tensioning wires are fixed. The link below shows how these wires are fixed to the posts, normally with loops which pass through the holes. So many times I've seen the tension wires pass through the posts on model railways, and to me it doesn't observe the real thing, and besides any fencing contractor wouldn't want to spend hours threading the wire through each post hole.

https://www.clarkesofwalsham.co.uk/fencing/chain-link-fence-supplies.html

Someone else mentioned the glass in your mini - superb bit of modelling, but would be better for having no glass at all.

As I said, it's never easy offering any constructive criticism and I hope you take these points in the way they're meant. I look forward to the next update on this superb project..... without a doubt it takes me back to a place and time with fondness.

Absolutely no problem at all with constructive criticism especially when it’s balanced liked yours.

I didn’t know about the fence posts. I guess because the holes are already in the model posts I just assumed! 
Well it’s done now so I’ll just have to live with it. 
Ironically threading 5 stiff wires through the posts is mind numbing and painful when they stab the end of your fingers but hey ho..

I’ll know for the next project - Dent Station to Blea Moor tunnel :)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

45 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

You mentioned the old tracbed on the girder bridge Simon, was that the remains of The New Line or the bridge on the Calder Valley Line.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes the Calder Valley line was 4 tracks up to Brighouse originally. Two were lifted when the area was remodelled in 1970. These two crossed the girder bridge.

Part of the track plan here shows the disused girder bridge at 13. 
(Trackplan courtesy of Hornby Magazine & Mike Wild)

3D6DD94B-CD8F-4BD4-84EF-BAF28B169055.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Simon, I know which bridge you're talking about now, have cycled and driven by it many times on the A62. I have a vague memory that you can still see the remains of a station entrance when you go under the road bridge.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for that Simon, I know which bridge you're talking about now, have cycled and driven by it many times on the A62. I have a vague memory that you can still see the remains of a station entrance when you go under the road bridge.

Jamie

Yes, the entrance to the former Cooper Bridge Railway station.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a similar backscene problem with Green Ayre as the main line over the Greyhound Bridge curved off before the end of the layout, which was the Castle Branch which also curved off. We ended up using curves that drew the eye onto the bridge but then came back to allow access to the track in the branch area.. you might be able to do something similar drawing the eye onto the moll, sewage works and girder bridge.  I'll try and post a couple of photos showing what I mean but they are on the other computer.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon, I've had a trawl through my photos and have come up with these. I hope that they give some sort of idea of what we did.   The 

PB221219.JPG.4472dbf9363cd866f10e1c8df14ef124.JPG

Here you can see the main line on the right and the Castle branch on the left.

PB221219.JPG.4472dbf9363cd866f10e1c8df14ef124.JPG

The other one shows more of Greyhound Bridge

JaPB221216.JPG.a8e754c985712d302e2a7dd7f500b452.JPGI hope this gives you some idea.

Jamie

• Like 1

Just a minor point if its not too late to fix it but a redundant signal would not have a cover over it with a cross on. Those covers were used on new signals while testing before commissioning, then taken away at commissioning for use on the next project. A signal dropped and left, if it happened,  would just have its lenses exposed and doubtless soon broken. Probably more likely the head would have been salvaged and just the post left.

Edited by Grovenor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Grovenor said:

Just a minor point if its not too late to fix it but a redundant signal would not have a cover over it with a cross on. Those covers were used on new signals while testing before commissioning, then taken away at commissioning for use on the next project. A signal dropped and left, if it happened,  would just have its lenses exposed and doubtless soon broken. Probably more likely the head would have been salvaged and just the post left.

Good point..

• Like 1