Heaton Lodge Junction

Thank you Andy.

Attached is what just 12ft of concrete trunking looks like and why I was in the garage till 1am :)

Cut from Evergreen channel strip into sections, primed then sprayed with Precision Paints concrete enamel (one of the best colour matches for concrete I've seen). before drying its sprinkled with sieved wood ash from a bonfire or talc. Gives it a great texture and the last option makes it smell nice. I can lay about 4ft of it these days in about 90mins. Heaton Lodge will eventually have about 450ft of it :(

post-25007-0-14309800-1484821756.jpg

• Like 14

I thought I'd post these pics of the real location past and present.

The first rare photograph I only came across the other evening (apologies if its copyrighted) and shows the junction as it was between 1900-1965 including the flat crossing to the left, removed in 1970. Its taken from the L& Y signal box - which on the second aerial pic was originally situated on the main lines right opposite the LNWR footbridge that you can still see there today.

The underpass is on the right although only one of the two tunnels are now used. The sheer amount of trees is astonishing in the last pic.

In the 1980's in which the model is set, the underpass line is still double track and the lines peeling off to the left and going forward are also double track down from 4.

Been nice to model HL in the 1960's but that trackwork would be a nightmare to handbuild!

post-25007-0-28339600-1484823480_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-16964400-1484823527.jpg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 6

This is looking from the signal box in the opposite direction (East) just look at that trackwork!

Worth pointing out that the lines entering the underpass in the previous b&w pic were then part of the completely separate 'Leeds New Line' route. You can see on the aerial pic they run parallel to the main lines (and just out of pic join up with them) which again formed part of BR's remodelling in 1970.

Before 1965/6 they curved away to the right (North) towards Leeds..

post-25007-0-45872100-1484824585_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

This is looking from the signal box in the opposite direction (East) just look at that trackwork!

Worth pointing out that the lines entering the underpass in the previous b&w pic were then part of the completely separate 'Leeds New Line' route. You can see on the aerial pic they run parallel to the main lines (and just out of pic join up with them) which again formed part of BR's remodelling in 1970.

So is this the model or the prototype, I struggle to tell the difference on this layout.

• Like 1

That's my idea of a perfect view from your place of work..(sigh!)

JF

• Like 3

This is the prototype in the 1960's - 20 years earlier than I'm modelling.

Thanks for the positive comment

You're welcome it really is first class modelling. I see you using techniques that I wish to use on my future layout so it's very inspirational.

Finally picked up 8ft of the junction yesterday from Norman Saunders who built the awesome pointwork. I feel like a 12 year old whose got a cab ride in a 'grid'!

I started to add all the extra detail before the whole ensemble goes to be fitted into the frames (and electrics added) which will then allow me to add the scenery.

Normally I wait to get the whole lot back before adding the laborious trunking etc but this time I'm adding it right now as a lot of the detail is really fiddly..

Here's the best part of the first junction now ballasted, fitted with dummy Westinghouse point motors (Cobalts underneath).

post-25007-0-42007600-1485620862.jpg

• Like 12

Here's some detail pics..

I'm adding the track circuit transmitters today (yellow boxes) I made them earlier from brass and plastic. The two cables that exit these transmitters are also copied and the two cables (actually decoder wire) I've run under the rails and glued to the outside of the rail. There were 3 at this point in 1985.

Also added is the 50mph sign and the telephone post to the signalman. The cables from the dummy point motors I've glued down to the ballast (to give the impression they have some weight) and they run under the pointwork to connect into the concrete trunking (evergreen styrene channel)..

post-25007-0-63200400-1485621449.jpg

post-25007-0-83776500-1485621469.jpg

post-25007-0-32814000-1485621495.jpg

post-25007-0-77805000-1485621536.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd post these pics of the real location past and present.

The first rare photograph I only came across the other evening (apologies if its copyrighted) and shows the junction as it was between 1900-1965 including the flat crossing to the left, removed in 1970. Its taken from the L& Y signal box - which on the second aerial pic was originally situated on the main lines right opposite the LNWR footbridge that you can still see there today.

The underpass is on the right although only one of the two tunnels are now used. The sheer amount of trees is astonishing in the last pic.

In the 1980's in which the model is set, the underpass line is still double track and the lines peeling off to the left and going forward are also double track down from 4.

Been nice to model HL in the 1960's but that trackwork would be a nightmare to handbuild!

The pair of Brush 2's could well be on a Blackpool - Sheffield SSO working.

Mike.

The pair of Brush 2's could well be on a Blackpool - Sheffield SSO working.

Mike.

They are heading West Mike so probably the other way around. I'm told double heading was frequent in the late 50's/early 60's with 31's before the teething troubles were sorted out