Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Fabulous - thank you! I'm looking forward to more. Just one thing.... Memory is a strange thing, and is easily clouded by the passage of time. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am...), but I seemed to recall that the full coal loads always seemed to flow West, toward the Lancashire and beyond power stations, whilst the empties flowed back East for refilling in the Yorkshire coal field. Perhaps the Eastbound full loads had come from such places as Bold Colliery (St.Helens) and Agecroft (near Pendlebury), which were still open until mid 1980's. 

It would be great for someone with better memory than me could enlighten please?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There plenty of pictures of MGR traffic on Flickr in the Calder Valley, all seem to show loads west bound. I also never witnessed any loads running via the LNW route (doesn't mean it never happened)as the climb out of Huddesfield would have been arduous,but spectacular, even for a 56 up to Marsden . I did once work an empty back towards HM via Huddesfield it was unusual for a Vic driver to get on MGR traffic in the late 80's, I also recall it was 47 hauled making it rare for that era. I have also never seen pictures of MGR workings out of Bold or Agecroft again that doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, w124bob said:

There plenty of pictures of MGR traffic on Flickr in the Calder Valley, all seem to show loads west bound. I also never witnessed any loads running via the LNW route (doesn't mean it never happened)as the climb out of Huddesfield would have been arduous,but spectacular, even for a 56 up to Marsden . I did once work an empty back towards HM via Huddesfield it was unusual for a Vic driver to get on MGR traffic in the late 80's, I also recall it was 47 hauled making it rare for that era. I have also never seen pictures of MGR workings out of Bold or Agecroft again that doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

When I quoted those two particular pits (Bold & Agecroft), I was referring to them simply because they were some of the very few still open in the Lancashire coalfield up to mid-1908's. You are probably correct in saying MGR's never worked those two pits.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Agecroft never had MGR wagons in or out and I think the last output by rail went to Huncoat PS in the late 70s or very early 80's at the latest. Most of Agecroft's output went direct to the adjacent power station via conveyor.

Did Bickershaw despatch coal eastwards or did all that go to Fidlers Ferry?

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, w124bob said:

There plenty of pictures of MGR traffic on Flickr in the Calder Valley, all seem to show loads west bound. I also never witnessed any loads running via the LNW route (doesn't mean it never happened)as the climb out of Huddesfield would have been arduous,but spectacular, even for a 56 up to Marsden . I did once work an empty back towards HM via Huddesfield it was unusual for a Vic driver to get on MGR traffic in the late 80's, I also recall it was 47 hauled making it rare for that era. I have also never seen pictures of MGR workings out of Bold or Agecroft again that doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

 

In addition to the arduous grade on the LNW route from Huddersfield to Marsden that you mention, it's probably worth adding that as well as generally easier prevailing grades, the Calder Valley line between Heaton Lodge Junction and Milner Royd Junction at Sowerby Bridge was a freight only line* from the closure of Brighouse station in January 1970 until the station was re-opened in May 2000.  Even with the fewer trains in the timetable then, it would probably have been easier to get freight paths along the Calder Valley L&Y route.

 

* except for occasional passenger diversions due to engineering work.

Edited by 4630
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you are all dead right well spotted!

 

There was only one occasion I saw loaded MGR’s heading east, in all the time I spent there.

Just didn’t have time to change both trains onto the correct tracks.

 

There was an occasional MGR on the Huddersfield lines heading east but never going up the dive under gradient, for obvious reasons.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Yes you are all dead right well spotted!

 

There was only one occasion I saw loaded MGR’s heading east, in all the time I spent there.

Just didn’t have time to change both trains onto the correct tracks.

 

There was an occasional MGR on the Huddersfield lines heading east but never going up the dive under gradient, for obvious reasons.
 

 

Probably empties heading back East, but diverted via Standedge due to engineering on Calder Valley perhaps? I seem to recall that happening on a couple of occasions, but like you, only saw them take direct route 'round the corner' (as we called it), rather than dive-under route. I'm guessing if they'd have been held at the signal for some reason, even a Grid would have had great difficulty restarting a full train of empties on the rising gradient, while most of the train would have been on a curved lines in and beyond the underpass, making starting even trickier? Perhaps an ex-driver could enlighten us?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

In these "very correct" days I recommend that you can please both points of view with just one train.

 

Just have one rake of HAA's, with each alternate wagon fully loaded, and the rest left empty - simples!

 

 

Kev.

:crazy_mini:

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonathan3005 said:

Hi folks,

               For those interested, there is a new video on the BBMR YouTube channel, some highlights from MI0G's live event last weekend. Enjoy

 

 

 

 

Well done Jonathan, excellent footage!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jonathan3005 said:

Hi folks,

               For those interested, there is a new video on the BBMR YouTube channel, some highlights from MI0G's live event last weekend. Enjoy

 

 

 

 


Thank you - excellent compilation.

 

Love the smokin’ 47 :good: 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually live in the Colne Valley west of Huddersfield, and there were West Bound loaded MGR trains during the day on the LNWR route in the early 80,s. They were often put into the loop at Marsden. You have to remember that there was not the volume of passenger traffic that there is now on this route, and paths could be found back then. Indeed in the early 70,s there were about 70 freights per day of all types (this was after the dropping of 4 tracks) and this steadily declined over time to the current levels of perhaps 8.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mac1960 said:

I actually live in the Colne Valley west of Huddersfield, and there were West Bound loaded MGR trains during the day on the LNWR route in the early 80,s. They were often put into the loop at Marsden. You have to remember that there was not the volume of passenger traffic that there is now on this route, and paths could be found back then. Indeed in the early 70,s there were about 70 freights per day of all types (this was after the dropping of 4 tracks) and this steadily declined over time to the current levels of perhaps 8.  

 

Yes true - there was actually 125 freights in both directions up to the late 1960’s.

This when there were 4 tracks going east (as of now), 4 tracks west to the Calder Valley (L&Y), 4 tracks to Huddersfield on the LNWR route & the 2 tracks going directly to Leeds via the Dive Under (New Line). See diagram.

 

Of course the New Line was shut in 1965 and that first part inc the dive under realigned to join the 4 tracks going east/west in 1970.


I’d love to have been around then 

17918D3C-F35D-47E7-ACDA-9304C0BE1296.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heaton Lodge 40

I was there, as my family came form Mirfield, with an Aunt living on the opposite side of the valley from Mirfield engine shed, with the "New line" running behind her house. I was only young (5) when the "New Line" closed, but have good memories of Class 40,s on Liverpool - Newcastle climbing hard from Heaton Lodge junction at around 17.00 each evening. As my Grandfather was a loco driver I actually got an unofficial footplate ride on a double headed 9F Oil train from Stockport to Hargreaves Terminal at Heckmondwike on this route when I was 5. H&S would have a fit today, as my grandfather could see the end coming for steam, and was due to retire with it. We came to a stand on the viaduct in the middle of Mirfield Park and could not get restarted, and therefore he had to get an 8F from Mirfield to give us a shove too get going. They used to really try and get a good run at the bank, so would crank things up as soon as they passed Bradly Cricket pitch (it was their marker as the rear of the train would have cleared Bradly junction). The day was just a blur of sensory overload for a little lad, and there were some tears on entering Stanedge tunnel. All a long time ago now, but the memory is still very clear. 

 

Incidentally before WW2 my late father worked as a junior signalman at Heaton Lodge and Wessey Junction (Ravensthorpe) he subsequently joined the RAF and left the railway never to return after the war. I remember the box being painted light Blue and White when it was the NE Region colour scheme in the 60,s. 

 

Cheers

Mac        

Edited by mac1960
Spelling !!!!!
  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Just watched Andy York's interview with Simon on the 'World of Railways' virtual exhibition and I have to say that this, together with the video footage that was included, just bring home what a heroic project this is!

I guess that those of us who follow this thread already know that, but every now and again it serves to have a timely reminder of just how exceptional HLJ really is!

Tony

  • Like 1
  • Agree 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon,

 

I hesitate to speak for others, but I think I’d be safe is saying that your project has amazed and fascinated everyone who has looked in, the scale of the project is eye-watering, but your astonishing attention to detail, and the wonderful, evocative modelling is a joy to behold.
 

I have no recollection of visiting the real thing, though I might have wizzed through at some point, but the comments from those who know it well speak volumes for the authenticity and atmosphere you’ve created.

 

and on those days when the mojo crawls off to hide somewhere, just remember we’re all rooting for you!

 

thanks for sharing the journey with us
Simon

  • Like 2
  • Agree 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon, having watched the Pete Waterman content on the virtual exhibition this weekend, he talks about a Ken Payne loco that took 1hr 53mins to crawl round Leamington Spa can I sow the seed of a daft idea.

 

If you get bored one day, just how slow do you reckon a lap of Heaton Lodge would be? Maybe measure with a before and after picture of a piece of scenery you are working on.

 

Look forward to seeing more develop and who knows one day as you say, see it for real when it makes it out on the road.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, pirouets said:

Simon, having watched the Pete Waterman content on the virtual exhibition this weekend, he talks about a Ken Payne loco that took 1hr 53mins to crawl round Leamington Spa can I sow the seed of a daft idea.

 

My tracklaying is that bad too!

 

Mike.

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.