Heaton Lodge Junction

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've just checked out the rail fare from Shrewsbury to Wakey, a somewhat eye watering £92.50 return, but as this is probably as close as the train set is going to be to me and Alicante, a bullet will have to be bitten!

Mike.

" HLJ european tour 2022 ".

Imagine being a roadie on that ... sex, drugs and rock n roll or maybe ...

beer , curry and wheel cleaning instead 

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Sounds like a weekend away with Deadmans Lane!....but with extra Sunday afternoon...who done that smelly guff?.....eye watering stuff!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

However I wasn’t sure what to make of the fact that when Thomas the tank engine appeared on his hourly run round the layout, more people got their cameras out than they did for anything else! 

I think that this tells us that Thomas brings back great childhood memories for many and the chance to see "him" running on a serious layout shows the fun that should be in the hobby. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've just checked out the rail fare from Shrewsbury to Wakey, a somewhat eye watering £92.50 return, but as this is probably as close as the train set is going to be to me and Alicante, a bullet will have to be bitten!

Mike.

You need to split your tickets. I just checked off peak fares - Shrewsbury to Manchester £26.20 OP return, Manchester - Wakefield £24.60 OP return. If you have a railcard you can get another 30% off these fares too. Rules for splitting say you must travel on a train that stops at Manchester, but you need to change there anyway.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

That, according to the huge press it got recently, must have been what Rod Stewart's roadies had to face. 

" got some Princess to sort out tonight mate, then some little bags of powder, then we'll do some lines"! 

Ie, "can you put the LMS transfers on this tender, then apply some earth mix round the water tower, and then there's five yards of code 100 Flexi for the fiddle yard..." 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, GWC1 said:

You need to split your tickets. I just checked off peak fares - Shrewsbury to Manchester £26.20 OP return, Manchester - Wakefield £24.60 OP return. If you have a railcard you can get another 30% off these fares too. Rules for splitting say you must travel on a train that stops at Manchester, but you need to change there anyway.

Wow. This makes the Mornington Crescent rules look easy... :o

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve just got back from what has been a fantastic day. 

I made the trip from Scarborough specifically to see the layout and boy I’m glad I did. 

The shear size and scale of the layout just blew me away and isn’t something you’ll fully appreciate without seeing the layout in person. 

I’m involved with a number of O gauge layouts but Heaton Lodge Junc’ is a whole different ball game and is a Project that Simon and the rest of the team should be proud of. 

Please if you have been thinking about going to see the layout please do ( up north or somewhere closer to home) you won’t regret it.

AFF95A5B-416F-4632-A6B1-2972C96DA3DA.jpeg.b2194ba6960a7d835e0670cf2996e44b.jpeg

It was nice speaking to you Simon@HeatonLodge40 and I hope the rest of the afternoon went without hitch.

Great work once again and I look forward to following the development of the layout going forward.

Jamie 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

9 hours ago, GWC1 said:

If you have a railcard you can get another 30% off these fares too. 

I'm pretty sure EW is eligible for a railcard...... (Hi Mike!)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Simon,

Just to reiterate how much I enjoyed today's visit from the darkest Fens. Congratulations on what you have achieved. A true spectacle.

I must say I really enjoyed the opportunity to look at the detail you have incorporated into the model. With any sort of large model the temptation is always to gloss over the detail, but you have it there in spades. A lot of my photos were of the little things - the signals, the p-way and signalling crews, the sewage works and the vehicles, but that's not to detract from the trains themselves.

I also thought the sky 'curtain' behind the layout made a huge contribution towards the autumnal feel of the whole scene - great!

The other thing to reflect on was the lineside conversations we had with other visitors, including an S&T worker who had spent the early stages of his career on this route. A great opportunity for railwaymen to reminisce, away from the less convivial atmosphere of a conventional exhibition.

Only one tiny regret. As a Mancunian lad who regularly travelled the route in the 70s I was looking forward to seeing a Trans-Pennine DMU, but it didn't seem to be running today. A good excuse to visit at another venue in the future!

Seriously Simon, and outstanding achievement and good look with your venture.

Geraint

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Simon,

Just to reiterate how much I enjoyed today's visit from the darkest Fens. Congratulations on what you have achieved. A true spectacle.

I must say I really enjoyed the opportunity to look at the detail you have incorporated into the model. With any sort of large model the temptation is always to gloss over the detail, but you have it there in spades. A lot of my photos were of the little things - the signals, the p-way and signalling crews, the sewage works and the vehicles, but that's not to detract from the trains themselves.

I also thought the sky 'curtain' behind the layout made a huge contribution towards the autumnal feel of the whole scene - great!

The other thing to reflect on was the lineside conversations we had with other visitors, including an S&T worker who had spent the early stages of his career on this route. A great opportunity for railwaymen to reminisce, away from the less convivial atmosphere of a conventional exhibition.

Only one tiny regret. As a Mancunian lad who regularly travelled the route in the 70s I was looking forward to seeing a Trans-Pennine DMU, but it didn't seem to be running today. A good excuse to visit at another venue in the future!

Seriously Simon, and outstanding achievement and good look with your venture.

Geraint

Thanks very much for the great comments.

Yes I’m sorry the 124 has died. It overheated after I put in more lead so it could get up the dive under. It’ll be repaired before long. 

Thanks again 

• Friendly/supportive 5

37 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Yes I’m sorry the 124 has died. It overheated after I put in more lead so it could get up the dive under. It’ll be repaired before long. 

Thanks again 

So having more lead in ya pencil isn't a good thing after all!?

Hope you are clocking up the actual milage run by locos? 

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks again 

That happened to me too!

I got on at Stalybridge but it was obviously too much for it as it expired just before Diggle.

Kev.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Featuring on BBC Breakfast this morning.

in the middle of a move, this week. But I will find time to get across to Wakefield for this.

Just checked for train times and fares and Northern website suggests changing at Stockport and Sheffield (starting from Lostock Gralam). That seems like a strange routing to me.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell