Heaton Lodge Junction

14 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

On another note regarding the next outing for HLJ - I’ll be posting the details on Monday. 

Much larger event this one with hopefully a good number of multi scale layouts, lots of trade etc 

Its not long either - Friday/Saturday/Sunday April 8/9/10th :)

The weekend just before my birthday, the wife will be pleased ;) hopefully I'm less tied up with work this time so I can get to see it...

I'm not surprised it takes a blowtorch, the brass base looks to be over a mm thick. The flux doesn't appear to be active, as soon as you heat active up it will clean the brass and your brass is still dirty.

Go to any plumbers merchants and ask for self cleaning flux, Powerflow or La-Co. Don't stress about cleaning it off - I made 10 turnout vees from steel rail in 2015 using Powerflow and only wiped the flux off when it was liquid (because  the work was still fairly hot). They haven't rusted.

If you want strength, carry on as you are. Might be a good idea when you are fixing them down to arrange it so if they do get knocked, they fall over rather than bend and get wrecked.

Edited by Winander
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Winander said:

They haven't rusted.

I can only say that I am astonished.

Powerflow is brilliant flux but highly active, containing 1-5% hydrochloric acid.

https://www.plumbase.co.uk/link/1/s021225_28130_t.pdf

I would certainly invest a few moments to wash it off.  Otherwise any paint you put on will lift and brass will go green.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Simond said:

I can only say that I am astonished.

I admit to being surprised, I use the stuff in plumbing work and pretty quickly became aware of the verdigris that appeared within days if a joint wasn't cleaned. I got into the habit of wiping the joint with a rag as soon as it was made and still hot. The problem stopped. So when I made the vees, I did just the same. I think because you wipe the flux off when it is still liquid when the work is warm is the difference. I certainly wouldn't discourage a proper clean and would have done that myself had I intended to use the vees.

I made the post because Powerflow often gets a bad press and people exaggerate the cleaning requirements. It is an excellent flux, I now use it for everything, brass, steel, stainless and nickel silver and cleaning is no more challenging than other flux. To be even more contentious, I have been taking my time making an etched brass kit in 4mm with minute quantities of Powerflow. It has rarely been wiped and never cleaned and there is no sign of verdigris after two months. I do now dilute it with water to  a runny consistency and believe if used in small quantities it burns off.

The cautionary note about paint adhesion is welcomed and it was always my intention to ensure that my work receives a thorough clean as I complete sections and again before painting.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2022 at 23:44, bradfordbuffer said:

Why is show been held in arrivals Hall at mallorca International Airport? 

Yep ....I presume you not a UK resident? Just couldent help my self!

EW is from Yorkshire. UK resident is questionable.................. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

48 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Shhhhhh you will start a war....may be a war of roses!, and I think I'm know what thay call a mercenary...I'll fight for the other side even though my heart is born on the other side!

I'll see you at sandal !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Thanks for your support Mick, I will always wear it!

5 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Shhhhhh you will start a war....may be a war of roses!, and I think I'm know what thay call a mercenary...I'll fight for the other side even though my heart is born on the other side!

I'll see you at sandal !

There is no war of the roses, we Yorkshire people know we are superior to everyone else, so why argue?

Now, the war of the OO/P4/EM modellers, that's far more interesting!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I was standing next to a lady who had brought her son ( I presume ) at Wakefield.

Her comment , “ It’s all a bit bleak isn’t it ?”.  Of course, you are looking, at a sewage works, in Yorkshire, in 1983…

I’m not sure if she was expecting Disneyland in O gauge.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I was standing next to a lady who had brought her son ( I presume ) at Wakefield.

Her comment , “ It’s all a bit bleak isn’t it ?”.  Of course, you are looking, at a sewage works, in Yorkshire, in 1983…

Probably been watching TGMRC and expected erupting volcanoes and aliens! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

, “ It’s all a bit bleak isn’t it ?”.  Of course, you are looking, at a sewage works, in Yorkshire, in 1983…

I must say that is exactly my thoughts as  well. Yes it is very well modelled and I appreciate the skilful work that has gone into it but I see it is a somewhat depressing subject. I’ll probably go and see it sometime though.

Meanwhile my modelling preference will remain a sunny day by the seaside.

5DF0F143-ABA4-4EF7-A242-D7C15E06F414.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Chris M said:

I must say that is exactly my thoughts as  well. Yes it is very well modelled and I appreciate the skilful work that has gone into it but I see it is a somewhat depressing subject. I’ll probably go and see it sometime though.

5DF0F143-ABA4-4EF7-A242-D7C15E06F414.jpeg

Most railway modelling is in a way depressing, unless you are modelling the current day then in some form or other you are harking back to an earlier time in your life where you perceived you were happier.

For you it is memories of a sunny day in Dawlish, on Heaton Lodge it is watching trains go by in Yorkshire in 1983.  I have finally found my happy place too - Northwest England in the 1970s - banger blue with DMUs, ideally I'd do Manchester Victoria, Crewe or York but I don't have the space or the skill so I imagine a what if scenario.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Just need some stink bombs from joke shop! Or some selected visitors who dodge the deodorant! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Just need some stink bombs from joke shop! Or some selected visitors who dodge the deodorant! 

I live right next to one of UK's biggest waste water works, only a small patch of wooded land between me and the big spinny things.

Rarely do we get a stench unless it's been particularly wet and there is too much water coming through the system.

And houses on our road are desirable, they sell without problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I live right next to one of UK's biggest waste water works, only a small patch of wooded land between me and the big spinny things.

Rarely do we get a stench unless it's been particularly wet and there is too much water coming through the system.

Houses sell ok....do you get more than local asking price....May be a turd more than elsewhere (⅓.?????)...I'll get my coat! 

I walk the pooch on ilkley riverside walk and late Sunday tend to be the smelliest....beer and curry from firday and Saturday? 

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2022 at 13:00, woodenhead said:

Most railway modelling is in a way depressing, unless you are modelling the current day then in some form or other you are harking back to an earlier time in your life where you perceived you were happier.

My current project is Black Country 1956-60. True Grot, at least the weathering covers up most modelling mistakes.

I remember women on street corners round there who were like Ena Sharples on steroids.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

My current project is Black Country 1956-60. True Grot, at least the weathering covers up most modelling mistakes.

I remember women on street corners round there who were like Ena Sharples on steroids.

I was born in the Black Country in the mid 50's and can vouch that to be true

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/01/2022 at 18:15, woodenhead said:

Turdspotters !;)

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2022 at 09:56, Chris M said:

One thing I like about railway modelling is the variety. If I had infinite time and skill and space I'd spend more of it modelling my definite preferences but there are all sorts of other things I'd model too from time to time. And I like seeing them. I even like a good model of things I dislike in the real world.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I wouldn't mind modelling from my childhood I'm actually more interested in modelling times before I was born.

Not neccesarily when I was happier, but definitely when the trains were better/more interesting!!! ;) :yes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1