LT / Metropolitian Bo-Bo photos

suerose

Hi

Does anybody know where I can find photos of the London Transport liveried (ex Metropolitan Rwy) Bo-Bo of Florence Nightingale. I need to know whether the name plate had plain ends or the scroll ends as we need have a set produced for a 7 1/4 gauge locomotive. I also need to know the size of the wording London Transport, the numbers on the sides and front (they look different on photos I have found).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards Sue & Dave Rose

The three piece (scroll ended, bronze I believe) nameplates were fitted to Bo-Bos up until WW2.  After the war the single piece aluminium nameplates were fitted, the originals having been donated to the war effort.

Reference to K R Benest's book Metropolitan Electric Locomotives indicates that No.17 Florence Nightingale was scrapped, or at least withdrawn, in 1943 so would only have had the original three part nameplate.  It may or may not have been painted wartime grey.  There are 2 pictures of No.17 on page 34, one when first delivered without nameplate (it was the initially delivered loco in about 1921) the other after adding the final production window configuration and the nameplate (added 1927).  The second picture is interesting as it has a large '17' under the nameplate in Metropolitan script but no Company name - the Metropolitan crests look as though they have been removed but still slightly visible.

LT museum photo collection has some pictures showing the early style, which you might be able to scale from, for instance http://www.ltmcollection.org/photos/photo/photo.html?_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXSR_=teOcYOT63EZ&IXsummary=results/results&IXsearch=Electric%20locomotive&_IXFIRST_=66&IXenlarge=i000069n

I know well that if you obtain a full resolution scan from the museum, these pictures are very good indeed.

K

Thanks Gentlemen,

Your information is very useful. I will check out the Benest Book as soon as I can find a copy. I looked at the photo from museum wesite, but I doubt if I can scale up from it. I am sure that I will find the sizes of the letters etc from somewhere eventually.

Regards, Sue

• RMweb Premium

Number 17 also differed in minor details to the other 19 locomotives, this was because it was in effect the 'prototype'. The original intention was to rebuild the existing 20 Metropolitan electric locomotives, ten 1906 BWE 'steeple-cab' locomotives (1-10) and the ten 1907 BTH locomotives (11-20). Number 17 was the locomotive chosen for conversion but when it was completed it was realised that completely new locomotives would be more economical. Most of the differences were concealed being internal but there were differences at first in the size and shape of the cab side windows as well as different riveting of the frames.

Number 17 also differed in minor details to the other 19 locomotives, this was because it was in effect the 'prototype'. The original intention was to rebuild the existing 20 Metropolitan electric locomotives, ten 1906 BWE 'steeple-cab' locomotives (1-10) and the ten 1907 BTH locomotives (11-20). Number 17 was the locomotive chosen for conversion but when it was completed it was realised that completely new locomotives would be more economical. Most of the differences were concealed being internal but there were differences at first in the size and shape of the cab side windows as well as different riveting of the frames.

Hi Thanks for letting me know the differences, it looks like I will have to do Dick Wittington instead as I can't change the windows to make Florence Nightingale.

Regard, Sue

No. 17 was modified to look like all the others....

Thanks Jeff, that helps at lot. My only concern now is if I can get a name plate made which has the scroll ends as Florence Nightingale would have only had that type. If not I will go for second choice Dick Whittington.

Regards, Sue

I did find a company some years ago that supplied the early type name plates in 4mm scale. I will try to find the contact details. Might also be worth contacting 'Narrow Planet' which offers a custom name plate service but generally concentrates on narrow gauge 4mm and 7mm. No connection other than a satisfied customer.....

Archived