Full Throttle from ESU

bigal10

Is anybody else watching Matt Hermann's videos on ESU's website?

I think this is a very interesting move forward, and might actually be a see change in model loco sounds!

I'm a bit surprised that nobody on this forum seems to have picked up on what Matt's team appear to be doing, perhaps folks are holding their breath to see what develops.

I posed a couple of questions on the ESU Loksound sub-forum, but (no surprise) not had a reply yet!

Namely, will this mean a firmware update for LS4, or will they looking at a new Loksound?

And, I suspect it'll be "back to school" for the Biff's, Charlie's, and Pauliebanger's of this world!

(I know, I know, Paul will be here to remind us all that Zimo have been able to do this for years! )

Regards,

Alan

I think this is a very interesting move forward, and might actually be a see change in model loco sounds!

I'm a bit surprised that nobody on this forum seems to have picked up on what Matt's team appear to be doing, perhaps folks are holding their breath to see what develops.

I posed a couple of questions on the ESU Loksound sub-forum, but (no surprise) not had a reply yet!

Namely, will this mean a firmware update for LS4, or will they looking at a new Loksound?

And, I suspect it'll be "back to school" for the Biff's, Charlie's, and Pauliebanger's of this world!

(I know, I know, Paul will be here to remind us all that Zimo have been able to do this for years! )

Regards,

Alan

Matt said the first sounds will be released soon when new firmware is done

trevora

Regards,

Alan

Alan,

I don't need to remind ZIMO users that control like this is nothing new, (as incorrectly claimed in the videos to which you refer) since

a ) they already know and have been enjoying the features for a couple of years or more now in some cases,

and

b ) you just did it for me. LOL.

I'm still waiting to see the difference between real world operations and the promo video before commenting fully, but from what has been demonstrated, there are still features missing which ZIMO users enjoy now.

Whatever, I'm sure the new features will be welcome additions for LokSound users, though I think Bif's projects have been able to do most of these things for some time too. 

In the final analysis, improved or additional features on any platform benefit all end users as it can raise the bar.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 9 months later...

Alan,

I don't need to remind ZIMO users that control like this is nothing new, (as incorrectly claimed in the videos to which you refer) since

a ) they already know and have been enjoying the features for a couple of years or more now in some cases

I have to agree.  I was really looking forward to the new LokSound V4 with Full Throttle having had previous generation LokSound V4 and Zimo MX644D.  Its purely a personal preference but I prefer Zimo's Real Drive.  It is just a pleasure to easily drive trains and locos in a prototypical manner without having to switch modes.  I prefer to concentrate on driving and not operating loads of functions to get a train to simulate operating in a scale like manner and control the sound almost manually.

No doubt the latest LokSound is a big improvement, but I was a little underwhelmed with Full Throttle, and actually prefer the earlier direct drive sound projects and let the software look after notching sounds while I concentrate on the driving.  The 'coasting' is not realistic as it locks the speed rather than coasts which should involve a very gradual loss of speed.  The braking is far to severe with un-prototypical stopping distances for medium weight trains.  The Zimo's coasting and braking feels far more natural and realistic, and doesn't required mental dexterity fiddling with functions - just operate throttle and brakes like a real train.  

The thing that irritates me most is having to toggle 'drive hold' on and off to get the train to move authentically.

Just my tuppence.

Archived