SWAG Member's Day - 2017 - Some thoughts and questions

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone.

Latest progress for the SWAG party are as follows - please, please let me know if anything is incorrect !!

Finding a mug to co-ordinate/manage - Done (looks like it's me...)

Book venue - confirm deposit and/or payment dates - Done

Arranging event insurance - Done

Arranging a trader or two - Done

Publicise event dates - April 29th / 30th 2017

Arranging something for people to do on the Saturday - ??

Arranging visit to Taunton MRG - Done

Appoint catering leader.  - I'd like to propose peter220950 to co-ordinate this...

Obtain exhibit details - sizes, accessibility requirements, any special requests etc - Done

Administering/arranging layouts and modules - Done

A second-hand/bring-and-buy stand - Phil Copleston

Start floor planning to give ongoing idea of space available - Underway

Module planning & co-ordination - underway (Mike SCR - I need to find the size details & get back to you)

Arranging a venue for the Saturday night meal - Lethbridge Arms, Bishops Lydeard

Calculate total exhibit values for insurance - In progress - I need to collect insurance values from the exhibitors

Issue instructions to exhibitors - to be done (soon !)

Finalise hall plan - to be done

Please note the catering this year might not be on the scale of previous years - further details will be announced

On the Sunday -

Preparation of the halls - Form 'help team' for setting up and breaking down for measuring out, setting out tables/chairs etc. and assisting exhibitors.

Last minute food purchase

If you can think of anything else, again, please let me know !!

• RMweb Gold

Not usually signposted as it's a 'private' meeting - Sat Nav is adequate, but I always find a dry run using Google Streetview is well worth the time if I'm going somewhere new.

Address : Staplegrove village Hall, 214 Staplegrove Rd, Taunton TA2 6AL

post-7025-0-81373100-1488897385_thumb.jpg

Excellent news Stu, all your hard work is really appreciated and I'm sure the day (s) will go fine. A big thank you from me !

Although i can only get there on the Sunday I'm happy to help in any way I can if you need me.

• RMweb Gold

Let me be the first to say it's very, very much a team effort, aided in no small way by Andy Y and the good Captain (Rtd).

No doubt there will be something that needs doing on the day, from setting up, helping unload, moving tables, to washing up, etc.

• RMweb Gold

Stu,

As far as the Saturday is concerned the best event looks like to be the WSR gala but I would suggest individual booking unless folk really wish to try and form a 'group' for booking purposes (I believe the size of 'groups' is limited) and it also depends on the time at which people are likely to arrive (I hope to be at Lydeard no later than 09.30 - or so I'm told by my host for the weekendr).  Obviously on a day that busy I don't think it's even worth asking the WSR for the sort of 'special days' they have given us in the past.

Hall help on Sunday - I should be able to lend a hand arriving about 09.00 ish and departing about 16.50 but cannot get involved in heavy lifting (for 'ouch!' reasons).  Quite happy to 'assist as required' during the day as I'm not bringing a module due to coming down to the area by train on Friday for other reasons (OFs' lunch).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you are right about the Gala Mike. It also seems that the management of the WSR has a different focus now and 'special days' may be less easy to organise. I will be there on Sunday not sure about the time as the dogs need a walk first. I will be more than happy to do what I can.

Don

A second-hand/bring-and-buy stand - Phil Copleston

Having just caught up with this thread again, I am very pleased to hear the Captain's "do" is continuing this year. Thank you Stu for co-ordinating all this.

And it looks like muggins here has "volunteered" himself to organise the Bring & Buy stall! Oh well. I shall post more details about this in the next few days. But in the mean time, dig out your unwanted modelling stuff for the stall.

You will raise some extra modelling cash from your old stuff and, via a "modest stall commission", help contribute to our worthy charity cause. As I say... more details to follow v. soon! 

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have also moved the list of thiose attending the Saturday evening meal to the new thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120694-swag-2017-lineup-details-catering-all-you-need-to-know/ as well.

If you are wishing to attend the Saturday evening meal and have not let me know, please do so either in the new thread or via PM as soon as possible please.

Ta Muchly

• 1 month later...

Just to add my two pennorth. I think I can make this day and bring camera, tripod and flash gun. I photograph in RAW format and spend time editing to get the best visual appreciation. Then I save in JPEG but at a much higher resolution than my camera. I can then load all the pics I take to a Dropbox link and you can download them from there. I will of course publish the pics as well on here for more immediate pleasure but they will require quite a lot of downgrading to fit the bandwidth requirements, hence the Dropbox link.

I am always happy to answer questions about the Dropbox idea and how to use it. I use it a lot and it does give excellent results. I don't keep the original RAW files as you need Photoshop to work with them and they are truly massive but my laptop and Photoshop CS6 do a far better job of saving to JPEG than the camera does. Even so each pic can be 7Mb+.

If any of you want a specific view or even a portrait, just ask.

I can also do a passable video on the same camera but that option is limited as it uses copious amounts of pixels. By arrangement and with you supplying the standard SD card, I can do videos. Lighting is a problem as I don't have any continuous lighting for it and Staplegrove Hall lights are not too user friendly, they make everything yellow. Easily adjustable in Photoshop on stills!

Hope that covers it and see you there!

• Like 2

Just in case anyone missed it over on the other SWAG page http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120694-swag-2017-lineup-details-catering-all-you-need-to-know/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2678289. Here is my post from 6th April (post #31):

Hello fellow RMwebers,

Roll up, roll up - announcing the SWAG 'BRING & BUY' STAND will be at the forthcoming RMweb SWAG Taunton meeting, Sunday, 30th April 2017.

Turn all your unwanted goodies into dosh (so you can spend it on other stuff!). 10% of all sales will go to our supported charity. There will be at least a 3m long table at the venue - so plenty of room to display and sell all that stuff lurking at the bottom of your gloat boxes, or tools, modelling equipment, or part-built or finished models. Please bring along whatever you can.

And to prospective purchasers - here's your chance to rummage and pick up a bargain

Attached is the Bring & Buy form (as a pdf) for you to download, print off and complete if you have things to sell. If you need more forms on the day, I shall have spare copies and additional labels just in case. Please read the instructions on the back of the form.

See you on the day!

RMweb SWAG Taunton Meeting, 30 Apr 2017 - Bring & Buy Form.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case you missed it over on the 'official' SWAG 2017 webpage - here's a reminder and update from me... announcing (again):

The Good Captain’s BRING & BUY stall

(as it is now called) 

Turn your old stuff into cash or pick up a bargain on the infamous SWAGONIAN second-hand sales stall!

Yes, we all like a good rummage and a bargain. So the more the merrier - please bring along your unwanted modelling kits and bits, tools, books, materials and even finished models (but no rubbish or magazines, please). Make money - then spend it again! 

And remember, it's all in a good cause - 10% of monies raised will go to our designated charity, the rest to the seller.

Our ever-helpful badge-wearing 'Official Stewards' will be on hand to take your hard-earned cash!

Please download, print out and fill in the form below (instructions on the reverse):

(NB. this is a slightly revised version of the previous form)

RMweb SWAG Taunton Meeting, 30 Apr 2017 - 'The Good Captain’s BRING & BUY stall' Form.pdf

Copies of the form and spare labels will also be available on the day. 

See you all on Sunday, 30th April for a cracking day out ~ at Staplegrove Village Hall, 214, Staplegrove Road, Taunton, TA2 6AL

Full details and line-up over on the 'official' SWAG 2017 webpage are found in post #1 here: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120694-swag-2017-lineup-details-catering-all-you-need-to-know/ 

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like tomorrow is off for me  (and this evening at the Lethbridge alas) due to a total collapse of GWML signalling twxit Didcot and Swindon this afternoon.  After 'temporary repair' No.1 failed to work I cut my losses and headed for home.  Some trains now on the move but no doubt many fingers are crossed that the (nearly new) signalling will stay in one piece and signals will be able to exhibit aspects other than a nice bright red colour all the way, I'm told from just west of Didcot to somewhere about Swindon.

Encouragingly a NR Manager told me that 'it happens quite a lot but usually sorts itself out in a minute or two'.  How odd that a new system should do that at all :O 

Anyway it was quite like old times for a while as I helped a GWR chap explain alternative routes to passengers - most if their barrier staff don't seem to have the faintest idea and of course the information desk was swamped.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like tomorrow is off for me  (and this evening at the Lethbridge alas) due to a total collapse of GWML signalling twxit Didcot and Swindon this afternoon.  After 'temporary repair' No.1 failed to work I cut my losses and headed for home.  Some trains now on the move but no doubt many fingers are crossed that the (nearly new) signalling will stay in one piece and signals will be able to exhibit aspects other than a nice bright red colour all the way, I'm told from just west of Didcot to somewhere about Swindon.

Encouragingly a NR Manager told me that 'it happens quite a lot but usually sorts itself out in a minute or two'.  How odd that a new system should do that at all :O 

Anyway it was quite like old times for a while as I helped a GWR chap explain alternative routes to passengers - most if their barrier staff don't seem to have the faintest idea and of course the information desk was swamped.

Unbelievable, or rather, all too believable, sadly.

And of course, the so-called 'Asset Managers' in Swindon (notice how they're all congregated there, safety in numbers, I always thought) will have no idea (and even less budget) to implement a proper fix, I'll be bound.

'Asset Manager' is the latest NR-speak for 'Engineer'. The usual management-speak total bolleaux, of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Your not having much luck this weekend Mike. You will be missed. 

Don

• RMweb Gold

When two of our senior members, each of whom occupied a similarly key position on the railway, are cast down by NR's lack of resilience, the rest of us do well to take notice. After nearly 13 years of retirement from the industry, I am so glad to be missing such ghastly corporate incompetence.

I hope to be at Taunton, am presently supping IPA in Sherry's holiday cabin on the edge of Dartmoor. Sorry to think Mike will not be there tomorrow. I was looking forward to re-acquaintance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When two of our senior members, each of whom occupied a similarly key position on the railway, are cast down by NR's lack of resilience, the rest of us do well to take notice. After nearly 13 years of retirement from the industry, I am so glad to be missing such ghastly corporate incompetence.

I hope to be at Taunton, am presently supping IPA in Sherry's holiday cabin on the edge of Dartmoor. Sorry to think Mike will not be there tomorrow. I was looking forward to re-acquaintance.

However the amusing part was that I quickly found, while talking to a GWR chap, that I was the only person 'instantly available' who could actually advise passengers about suitable diversionary routes without having to look them up.  As the GWR man said to me - 'they don't teach us things like that, nothing to beat proper railwaymen is there'.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

'Asset Manager' is the latest NR-speak for 'Engineer'. The usual management-speak total bolleaux, of course.

Not sure about that CK. Good Asset Managers are worth having, as are good Project Managers and of course good Engineers and good Operators.

The problem that I encounter is that many so-called Asset Managers and Project Managers are not worth having.

• RMweb Premium

A diabolical day to be travelling.

90 minutes delay at Marazion in the morning account a trespasser.  Berks & Hants out for track works.  The the signals go down blocking the only reasonable alternative for hours.  Passengers aboard the 10.00 off Penzance reached Paddington at 21.13 :O having stood around at Bristol for all but 4 hours.  A few might have found space aboard the Cardiff - Pompeys and gone via Salisbury to Waterloo but a stacked 8-car HST (already conveying a double-load account its late departure from Penzance) into a 3-car 158 which is often quite fully-booked just doesn't go.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about that CK. Good Asset Managers are worth having, as are good Project Managers and of course good Engineers and good Operators.

The problem that I encounter is that many so-called Asset Managers and Project Managers are not worth having.

I agree.

I refer not to the good ones, but to those not worth having.

• RMweb Gold

I was a Project Manager (not Railway) before taking early retirement. I found myself out of step with colleagues who regarded meeting timescales and deadlines as more important than whether the project would actually do the job intended. 

Don

• Like 1