SWAG Member's Day - 2017 - Some thoughts and questions

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Following Captain Kernow's decision to step down from organising the SWAG Member's Day, it is now dependent on a new member or team to step up, to allow one of the best days of the year to be continued.

Whilst I am not proposing myself to lead this, as I live too far from Staplegrove to be effective, I am more than willing to help from a distance.

I guess the first few questions are : 

Do we want the Member's Day to continue ?  (This is possibly a daft question, and unless there are strong objections we can assume the answer is 'Yes'.)

Do we want to continue using the halls at Staplegrove ( my vote would be 'yes' as they are a known entity).

Do we want to continue holding the date as the last Sunday in April ?  - A far bigger question, but a decision is needed soon to allow booking of the venue.

Do we want to continue with the modules - Again, I think this is a universal 'Yes' - there was already talk about what to do the next time

Do we want to have the same format ?  - Modules in the smaller hall and layouts, retail and demos in the larger hall ? 

I'm not sure what discussions may have or will take place with Tim, Andy & Don - but I wanted to emphasise the fact that unless WE do something, it won't happen.

Thoughts & comments, please.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Well I'll start the response ball rolling.

I would be happy for everything to continue as is;

Same venue, same date, same format, and most importantly,

same pasties and chicken and ham pie

• Like 2

As I live even further away than Stubby,

I feel any constructive material input I can do will be low,

and based on the last few years,

domestic politics and/or health tend to get in the way of sensible pre-planning.

But yes, I would like it to continue.
I've mentioned the Saturday evening dinner elsewhere,

I still intend to pop into one of the venues in a couple of weeks time to check it out,

then who ever is co-ordinating this locally, can have my input.

• Like 1

All hail Captain Tim and his crew for previously organising this most enjoyable event! I have attended for (I think) the last four years now, and have enjoyed every occasion.

As for the future, I definitely would like it to continue in some form. And like Stubby, am happy to assist in organising it in some way. But also like Stubby, I am a bit too far away from Taunton to have a practical hand in the organisation of the day itself (I live in Launceston, Cornwall). But I am happy to do what I can to help. Either way, I think the current event/format is fine, but there is always room for gradual improvements and evolution of course. As for a future meeting...

Existing arrangements:

• Event/Venue: I like the idea that it is the SWAG two-day event for RMweb members and guests, as that is the core reason it exists and I would like that to continue. The Staplegrove venue in Taunton is ideal for our purposes. I suggest that someone with the contact details (Tim on our collective behalf?) books the hall for 2017 now to secure our future booking.
  • Charity cause: That it is a charity event for a (railway-related) good cause is also something I strongly support. 
  • Saturday meeting: I've never been to the Saturday day/evening grice or dinner, but if others' want this then fine. But for me, the main focus is on the Sunday meeting at Staplegrove.
  • Informal Mix: The informal mix of layouts, modelling projects, auction, and some selected traders works well, although a members second-hand or bring-and-buy stall would be a great addition too. 

Possible improvements (some suggestions):

• Second-hand Stall: As mentioned above, I think the addition of a members second-hand or bring-and-buy stall would be a boon, and should not impinge on the traders' sales or the auction. This could go at one end of the Small Hall. After all, we all like a bargain, and have over-full gloat boxes that need periodic thinning!
  • Main Hall: The main hall is too crowded with layouts at present, or at least needs rearranging to allow for better circulation. An aisle across the far end would help avoid a crush of people down the blind aisles, as happened this year with consequently people bumping into layouts and each other. Not a good mix for tempers when your stock keeps threatening to be bounced off! Obviously, allocating the space is a matter for whoever takes on the organisation, but I just raise the issue here for consideration.
  • Small Hall: I personally have little interest in modules, but appreciate that others' do and get a lot of fun out of it. But it does take up a lot of space. Perhaps a better use of the small hall, so as not to be so dominated by the around-the-walls modules therein, would be to allocate a 1/3rd of the space to other layouts/displays or a second-hand stall? This might be a better utilisation of the overall available space and releaving the otherwise cramped layout/display space in the main hall.
  • Car Parking: This is always at a premium on the day, but other than on-the-street parking I don't see how this can be avoided. I noticed that several people double-parked in the car park this year, but so long as folks leave a note of ownership on the dashboard, I don't see this as a major problem if cars have to be moved. 
  • Catering: This is something dear to all our hearts! And obviously an important social binder. Someone has to do it, and we are all extremely grateful, I'm sure. The present physical arangements seem ideal, so long as the tables don't encroach upon the layout space too much. 

Not a comprehensive list for discussion, just my initial thoughts, but just to help start the discussions...

Already lookin' forward to seeing you all next year!  

• Like 7

I have always remarked that this event was the very first that I have attended in which the anonimity of the Internet was dispelled and people who were hidden behind handles and posts were then in plain view and turned out to be real people.

Friendships were forged and reputations enhanced.

At the time it was an exclusive franchise on the Internet/real time part. That, in my case, is no longer true.

I also experienced the same style further north under Andy's eye and that seemed just as effective at the time but seemed to stall at the Ricoh arena.

Having a hand as a co-host in a very different Southampton based event on a monthly basis and having watched Taunton over the past few years I can understand just how much organisation skill goes into it. My role in the other monthly event is mainly publicity and hosting with microphone. I do recall reading somewhere and actively having missed the Ricoh based meet because nobody, including me, was aware that it was taking place so had not reserved the time or funds to attend.

On that basis I can offer a publicity role and an enhanced photographic one for the continuation of the RMWeb Taunton event if that is of value. I have no objection to attending a 'committee' meeting so we all sing from the same hymn sheet, in Taunton or close by as I can arrange accommodation within 10 miles at no cost to myself.

Regrettably I believe myself to be too far away to be of any real value in any other way and I fear that my organisational skills for this event are not good enough to take up the cudgel.

Edited by Lady_Ava_Hay
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Living even further away I can perhaps be of even less practical help however having the necessary long established contact with one of their number I'm quite happy to take on the role of liaising with the Taunton MRG regarding the 'usual Saturday visit to Tamerig/Bath Green Park' .

The other Mike (Sidecar Racer) and I briefly discussed the modular layout situation while at Geoff Endacott's other show (other in the context of his volunteering in respect of this one ;) ) and we would like to continue the modular layout theme in the small hall.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This is a very encouraging discussion, and thanks to Stu for starting it off and for others who have contributed so far.

In terms of where you live, first of all Don has put his head above the parapet, and it seems that Geoff may also be doing so, so many thanks gents!

I would point out that I have organised this event for the last 9 years living in South Devon, a good hours drive away, although more local support has always been there from the Pugsleys.

If you're not local, then you need to take what opportunities you can to deal with the practicalities. For example, I was driving back from Bristol to Devon about two weeks before the event, and I diverted into Taunton to (i) check the location of the piano and (ii) book the pub in person.

Although others have helped me along the way each year, the event hitherto has essentially been a 'committee of one' (ie. a benevolent dictatorship!). It may be that a more 'committee-based' approach is what's needed in the future.

I'd be happy to attend any meeting in due course, to explain any other aspects of the organisation, who the hall booking contact is, where the hoover is kept etc.

As far as costs, up until now, the cost of the insurance and hall hire has been borne by Warners, settled initially by Andy York (I sincerely hope he's been claiming those costs back on expenses!).

We haven't had to reimburse Warners for these costs from the proceeds, which means more going to the charity at the end of the day.

If you want exactly the same pasties and chicken and ham pies next year, well they come from our local deli in South Brent, so someone may need to 'have a word'.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I haven't made one of these for a while, those that I did attend, I enjoyed immensely, on those grounds along I would agree that these meets should continue. The location is good. As to the date, you would need to make sure that it did not clash with the final days of the school holidays, to remove the extra pain of travelling on these days. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Staplegrove is about right for what you're trying to achieve. It's not too big. It does dispel the anonymity of RMWeb. I've read Stubby's posts many times on here, but only met the man at Staplegrove. Talking face-to-face with a builder is a huge bonus. No being 'budged' by the irate photographer. All very relaxed & humorous.  

Not 'done' the Saturday, so I can't comment. 

As an informal meeting, it's spot on. Just right. 

I would like to see the return of the 'Elephant' next year, just to see it working.

Thanks to Tim & his band of helpers. I've attended twice now, and I enjoyed both visits immensely. 

Ian

• Like 2

I missed seeing this yesterday as I was out having an excellent day playing trains somewhere so apologies for my late appearance.

I'm pleased the subject has been raised as I've been standing back a little to wait and see what the will of the participants and membership is. Of course it is a popular day with those who have taken part over the years, one of the most enjoyable days in the modelling calendar without question, far more about friendship than anything else.

I applaud those who state that they'd be prepared to be involved or assist but, dare I say it, it really does need a figurehead, a leader and a driver for it to work. Something which Tim has done admirably over the years with a mix of excellent quality, the quirky and the interesting. In my view it would need someone to adopt a similar role to make it sustainable beyond one more event and, again in my view, it needs to be someone who can pull a few strings to encourage people to bring layouts, identify content that could be included and manage the onerous task of communicating with everyone to make sure everything runs smoothly. So much of the event was based on goodwill with people dragging layouts around at their own expense or putting themselves up if travelling from further afield, all for the enjoyment of a day out with friends and that ethos has to be maintained too otherwise it becomes 'just another show'. If anyone wants to organise an 'exhibition' this isn't the model for it. I could, and of course have, carry out that role but it would be an awful lot easier to do it less than 150 miles away from base. If a lot of the content is still centred around forum participation it's entirely logical that anyone taking on that primary role should have a certain standing hereabouts; of course there could be someone else entirely suitable hiding in the woodwork and if they're too shy to speak do feel free to drop me a PM.

I know I've questioned whether it should sit under an RMweb nametag and I think that in the future depends on financial input commitments from Warners; something to still be discussed. There are several other small events around the country that I've been to which do capture the same atmosphere, I can think of WrecRail, StormEx and TVNAM as extremely enjoyable events in recent years, that stand on their own two feet.

• Like 6

I snuck in and out of the event for the first time this year, and had an enjoyable afternoon, it would be a shame to see the end of this event, which seems to thrive as a result of an active local group, something seen rarely on the Forum.

Like many others I feel a bit impotent in not being able to do much because of location, could I therefore ask Tim to give a quick 'idiots guide' to what needs doing for this event?

Clearly it needs one person to co-ordinate, and that person probably needs to be somewhere close, but a lot of the other stuff can be farmed out to others, as it doesn't need a local person to do.

I have today been in contact with Felicity McGill who seems to be the Hall contact on the net. So it's no great problem to organise the Hall. I had also forgotten that insurance has to be arranged, but I think Andy can either organise, or point someone in the right direction.

Layouts need organising, and I'm currently guessing how that happens, along with the main job of ordering pasties and organising people to serve them.

There must be tons of other stuff that I haven't even thought of, but perhaps if it was listed out some of us, who are not local, could offer to get the things sorted, and the only need for a 'leader' would be to manage the minions, making it a far less onerous task. If that's the case someone might throw their cap in the ring and the 2017 event can get rolling.

So what else needs arranging besides the provisional list below:-

Finding a mug to co-ordinate/manage

Booking venue

Ordering food and vittels.

Arranging event insurance

Administering/arranging layouts and modules (I'm assuming this is largely reliant upon offers from the members)

Arranging a venue for the Saturday night meal.

Arranging something for people to do on the Saturday

Making sure the place is cleaned.

Arranging a trader or two.

Arranging staff to cater (this isn't essential, it's probably one of the hardest things to get people to help with, but if there wasn't any catering it wouldn't stop the event happening, it just happens to be one of the best bits! Even a rota of incompetent members to make tea and heat pasties might help?)

There was a suggestion of a second hand/bring and buy stall, this would need a person to look after, so given the situation of having to sort the event out ourselves may be better sorted in future years? - Unless someone wants to organise this?

I'm guessing that there's loads of other stuff, but if the load can be spread it becomes an easier task,

Forgive the interference of a foreigner, but I would hate to see the event fall by the wayside through apathy.

You call yourselves 'The Noble Realm' lets see if we can uphold the title?

Peter

• Like 6

Thanks Peter for your helpful summary. I agree, a good way forward would be under an overall manager/co-ordinator, together with a committee of helpers each managing an aspect of the event. This could be workable, and less onerous than one person doing everything. The question is, who?

To which end - as I suggested it first, I'd be happy to co-ordinate a second-hand/bring-and-buy stand for the 2017 meeting, if that's what people want?

• Like 4

A few notes from my end for the core event.

• Book venue - confirm deposit and/or payment dates
  • Publicise event dates
  • Solicit interest from potential exhibitors
  • Form 'help team' for setting up and breaking down for measuring out, setting out tables/chairs etc and assisting exhibitors.
  • Obtain exhibit details - sizes, accessibility requirements, any special requests etc
  • Start floor planning to give ongoing idea of space available
  • Source traders who may be willing to contribute to costs
  • Consider catering requirements and staffing - internally arranged or external provision?
  • Experienced food prep handlers, ideally with food hygiene certification within the team. Appoint catering leader.
  • Assess food requirements for exhibitors
  • Guesstimate food provision for visitors and pricing (to cover free food/drinks for exhibitors)
  • Draw up list of food/drink to be purchased
  • Prepare catering plan
  • Calculate total exhibit values for insurance
  • Finalise hall plan
  • Issue instructions to exhibitors
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Peter and Andy have pretty much listed what needs doing, in terms of any given, individual Members Day event. Stubby is quite right to add the floor plan, it's actually one of the most important elements.

Layouts have been 'invited' in the past on the basis of a mixture of the following:

- I happen to know the layout owner personally

- I see a layout I like at a show or on RMWeb and invite the owner directly

- The layout owner volunteers a layout without being solicited, maybe because they have already been to one of these events and liked it

- The layout owner has exhibited at a Taunton event before, and has now done a new layout and wants to come back (or simply offers a layout previously exhibited/is invited back with a previously exhibited layout)

What's needed next is an Event Manager, someone who is essentially the 'controlling mind', and who can coordinate all the key elements.

Perhaps what's needed now is a meeting somewhere of all interested parties (to which I would also come), where the Event Manager can be chosen or endorsed, and the bones of a new structure put in place.

As such, perhaps Taunton wouldn't make such a bad location, but not The Cross Keys, Norton Fitzwarren!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would just caution anyone who wants to organise both the Sunday event, the Saturday evening proceedings and an event on the Saturday itself - don't underestimate the sheer amount of additional work that the Saturday event would involve!

• RMweb Premium

I know others have helped in the past,

but just seeing those lists of what is

needed to put the event on, makes you

realise just how much effort the Captain

has been putting into this.

• Like 1

Many thanks for that Tim and Andy, most useful,

I would think the Saturday Event and the Evening Meal fall nicely into discrete chunks that probably need a local input, and can be attacked separately as they don't interract with the Sunday meet. One or two individuals could run with these.

The venue hire, insurance floor plans and the like are things I'm happy to put my hand up for, as they can be done remotely in the main. I'm also happy to do some of the paperwork like instructions to exhibitors and any ordering of food and drink if I'm pointed in the right direction.

Layouts and traders will probably need a person or two to do a bit of work.

We now have a volunteer for the Second Hand/Bring and Buy.

The principle issues I see are the 'Controlling Mind' and the catering. The catering can wait for the present, as I noted before could even be done without if all else fails (or at a pinch involve outside catering?) . 

So as Tim says it's down to the Controlling Mind, any offers?, I don't think it's something that can be done from a distance, but if someone could stick their head above the parapet I'm happy to get the venue secured and we can start to get the rest rolling, perhaps with a meet as suggested by Tim. I do think it's needed before we start committing to the venue, so it's probably now the next step. I think there's a proven desire by others to get stuck in and help to lighten the load.

Given the splitting into individual tasks I don't see it as being anything like as onerous a job as Tim has had to put up with for the last 9 years. It's more a case of stopping the left hand doing something the right hand is organising already. Rab notes how much work it involves but if there's a will to move forward I'm sure others will climb on board or have their arms twisted.

Peter

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy to help in whatever capacity I can, baring in mind I'm in Cornwall, just, and quite a way from Taunton.

Shirt selection ?

( Well, someone had to say it)

• RMweb Gold

I would just caution anyone who wants to organise both the Sunday event, the Saturday evening proceedings and an event on the Saturday itself - don't underestimate the sheer amount of additional work that the Saturday event would involve!

As already noted above Tim I would be quite happy to take on the Tamerig/Bath Green Park liaison in respect of the Saturday visit there but it needs someone more local to liaise with - say - the WSR and to do any meal reconnaisance/booking.

Incidentally while listing 'component parts' of the event I think it would be nice to continue the auction and also, hopefully, continue the already established charity donation (assuming a surplus can be generated).  Might I also suggest - subject to committee (?) decision that it would be sensible to create a bank account for the event assuming that can be done without creating an on-cost.  It is apparent to me, if no one else, that you will inevitably have had to process some payments - presumably through a personal account - in the past and that some will unavoidably continue in the future.

• Like 1