SWAG Member's Day - 2017 - Some thoughts and questions

Stubby47

I'm not overly wild about the auction, as such. But others may be, and it has its place in raising funds for our charity donation.

I would suggest, however, that if we introduced a members' second-hand/bring-and-buy stall that a 5 or 10% commission deducted from any sales could generate a decent input - depending on volume of turnover, of course! Which I am sure everyone would be happy with as it's for a good cause - the Railway Children charity http://www.railwaychildren.org.uk/

• Like 4

Phil, do mind that commercial vendors, if present, generally don't like the 2nd hand market/swap-meet stuff for commercial reasons. So it really has to be one or the other: sponsorship from the trade or providing a perceived "service" to visitors with overpriced used stuff. I'd know what my choice would be :rolleyes:

It depends of who you think this meeting is for: It's not a commercial show nor a trade event, but is simply intended as a fun get-together for us RMwebers and to raise money for a worthy railway-related charity.

And I think you're being a bit harsh - it doesn't have to be a choice of one or the other. Or an occasion for the sale of "overpriced" second-hand equipment. In any case, I would doubt that our existing good-hearted traders would seriously object to a second-hand stall of members' cast-offs as 'competition', particularly if it helped contribute to the fun of the day (we all like a bargain) and helped raise money for our charity cause.

But let our traders speak for themselves on here - Chris (Kernow Model Railway Centre, Camborne), Dave (The Model Shop, Exeter) and Simon (Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop/WSP, Bath)...

Edited by Phil Copleston

Might I also suggest - subject to committee (?) decision that it would be sensible to create a bank account for the event assuming that can be done without creating an on-cost.  It is apparent to me, if no one else, that you will inevitably have had to process some payments - presumably through a personal account - in the past and that some will unavoidably continue in the future.

The main problem I'm guessing, is that all the expenditure goes out long before there's any income, so it's probably not that much use, the only possible exception being the thorny question of catering. If it's an outsider brought in it's not going to be an issue, and until someone can step up to fill that role it's not yet something to worry about?.

From past experience trying to administer an account with more than one signatory is like herding sheep, and might be better dealt with by any expenses paid out on the day and someone to bank the days proceeds to the Charity. - A 'Trustee', such as Tim or Andy might be prepared to do this? (Given the nature of the Event I'm struggling to think of many expenses.)

In the short term, i.e. the next 6 months, the only commitment is to secure the Venue Hire, and that's already covered, (subject to the whole thing taking off). I'm not sure about the Traders/Second Hand discussions and financial implications, but we're running ahead, there's no one yet willing to step up to fill the 'Figurehead' role..............................................................................

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have been away from home since The Event and so missed out on this very positive thread and it has been so good to see that it is going to continue. Living in Bishopstoke Junction means I am not very close to Taunton but I do have access to accommodation in Seaton which means I could get to Taunton for a planning meeting and am very happy to help out in any minor role that needs doing.

Obviously I'm keen that the modular layout continues, Mike SideCar Racer has done a magnificent job with the two fiddle yards and the system has proved very reliable. In the past it has served as a test track for visiting locos, but, forgive me if I have got this wrong, this year the magnificent APTE brought by Andy was the only 'visitor'. I personally value the three visiting traders being there but I doubt if their takings cover their diesel. I do therefore worry that a second hand stall might drive any trader away completely. The auction is a great idea but I have sometime felt embarrassed that we haven't contributed in an appropriate manner to donated goodies in the aid of charity - maybe we have already bought everything we need!

I completely agree that we need a figurehead but if we keep it simple, learn from Tim and act as a team it should not be too onerous. If we want a really short snappy new name may I suggest Captain Kernow's Magnificent Modelling Event :sungum:

And finally Tim very many thanks for all your hard work and establishing this very special event. The best thanks we, as the beneficiaries, can give him is to ensure that the event continues and goes from strength to strength.

Best wishes

Godfrey

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Although I would like to offer to help with organising the event, I don't have enough time.

However, myself and Ray are always happy to bring along a layout. We currently have four between us and both building new layouts.

We've always tried to attend most years, although have missed one or two. An extremely enjoyable and unique event in the modelling calender.

I wouldn't like to see the general format change, but agree that a bring and buy stand could be good addition. Quite how this would be operated will take some consideration. A small 5 - 10% commision sounds very reasonable. Making best use of the space can be tricky.

I do like the venue though and parking not usually too much of an issue as there is often space along the road or nearby.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've attended on four occasions now, one as a visitor and three as an exhibitor. I'm certainly not local, but have been happy to support the event because the format works so well. This year, I paid around £175 just to attend (with ferry crossings, meals and an overnight stay), and then was daft enough to bid on a DMU I already owned. (And yes, the auction win will be retained and renumbered!).

I can understand that some folk would view the modular layout as an extravagant use of space, but we had no less than three new modules there this year, all admittedly unfinished, representing three completely different approaches. Arthur's steelworks module has also been a deservedly popular exhibit, but perhaps the time has come to review the module spec. For example, my canal module was deliberately designed to make a virtue out of the shortage of tables, with a dropped centre section. Technically, this is outside the spec, but it works. We've also had informal discussions about other changes and improvements we could make. Certainly, in my three years as a moduleer we have tried to be inclusive and have had several guest operators. As Godfrey says, we also welcome visiting locos and stock and anyone who wants to test new purchases need only ask.

I think the layout mix in the main hall has always seemed rather eclectic. Again, I know of a few owners who have invited visitors to "have a go". How many other model railway events offer this sort of friendly inclusion? I've also been given a lot of good advice to improve my modelling. Overall, it's a fantastic event and I hope it continues for some time to come. Yes, it may need a few new twists along the way, but the basics are there and sound foundations to build upon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

but I have sometime felt embarrassed that we haven't contributed in an appropriate manner to donated goodies in the aid of charity

None of you, whether moduleers or 'conventional' exhibitors, traders or demonstrators have anything to reproach yourselves in that regard.

I've always regarded the simple act of turning up, at your own expense, with a module, layout, demo or trade stand more than sufficient in terms of supporting the event and 'doing your bit'.

I am immensely grateful to everyone over the last 9 years who has said 'yes' and brought something to the event.

• Like 4

I did my layout - Penlan a few years ago at the Swag do.... so for 2017, on the assumption I'm still driving etc.,

I'm happy to bring along the materials to show - can't demonstrate as spray varnish used etc., -  how I do my PO's with Decal sheet lettering, not a lot to show etc., but a small table for a lap top, space for some samples and we're almost there.

Such as : 

post-6979-0-68588400-1462726510_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

White lettering, do you have an Alps printer?

No, its everything else coloured onto white decal paper.  I use an Ink Jet.

Varnishing afterwards seems to reduce fading, I admit a laser would be better.

Oh, and the lettering, the sheet is trimmed very close to the letters, then the edges of the decal paper touched up with the body colour, so the difficult part is getting the body colour (Humbrol Paints ?) and those available on my PC to be very, very close.  Black was easy.  :no:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Re the future of the Taunton meet: Would it be helpful if we set up a provisional ad hoc organising committee of interested persons to flesh out what and who we want to carry this thing forward into 2017?

Once the provisional committee has found the right "figure head" and others to take on the various sub-roles, then this committee would disband itself. This could provide a more focused and decision-making way forward than just debating stuff on here and making open suggestions. This ought to comprise, say, about six people who represent members based in the southwest (this is a SWAG event after all!). I'd be happy to serve in such a capacity, if asked. I also think CK should have some initial say in the committee's makeup, just to set the ball rolling.

What do folks think? Any better suggestion to help drive this forward?

• Like 3

Phil,

I think the main problem is that the right figurehead hasn't stepped forward, and I'm guessing a committee isn't any more likely to find one than the Forum. - Unless the SWAG Mafia can twist somebody's arm to step up to the role? :triniti:

A lot of the other issues are pretty much resolved, or will follow on naturally.

Peter

Re the future of the Taunton meet: Would it be helpful if we set up a provisional ad hoc organising committee of interested persons to flesh out what and who we want to carry this thing forward into 2017?

Once the provisional committee has found the right "figure head" and others to take on the various sub-roles, then this committee would disband itself. This could provide a more focused and decision-making way forward than just debating stuff on here and making open suggestions. This ought to comprise, say, about six people who represent members based in the southwest (this is a SWAG event after all!). I'd be happy to serve in such a capacity, if asked. I also think CK should have some initial say in the committee's makeup, just to set the ball rolling.

What do folks think? Any better suggestion to help drive this forward?

I think a committee that meets once a year and appoints a 'figurehead' who is fully briefed on what to do would have a longer life as both the committee and the figurehead could change without disturbing the planning of the event.

CK has already volunteered to pass on what he has learnt and may well be more amenable to having an active role as 'Head of Pasty Acquisition' if he sees that he can pass on the rest of it.

• Like 1

I am happy to put in cash if it means the event retains its character and continues, its been good to me over the years and got me my first taste of being an exhibitor, something that had been on my "achieve" list for a while. If committee meeting involves a visit to the Moguls Palace/Pub then I might be interested!

• RMweb Gold

If committee meeting involves a visit to the Moguls Palace/Pub then I might be interested!

Sadly it won't be The Moguls Palace, as this is no longer trading, certainly not in Buckfastleigh and their 'new' venue in Newton Abbot looked rather run-down and inactive when I walked past last week.

I am considering an alternative venue for a SWAG Friday evening curry gathering in South Devon, and will let you all know more in due course. Quite happy for this to also facilitate the formation of the Taunton Committee.

• Like 1

...... If committee meeting involves a visit to the Moguls Palace then I might be interested!

Just for a brief moment I though it said the Mughal Emperor, then I thought "No, that's near Cowbridge across the Severn".. 

Sadly it won't be The Moguls Palace, as this is no longer trading, certainly not in Buckfastleigh and their 'new' venue in Newton Abbot looked rather run-down and inactive when I walked past last week.

I am considering an alternative venue for a SWAG Friday evening curry gathering in South Devon, and will let you all know more in due course. Quite happy for this to also facilitate the formation of the Taunton Committee.

You will not find better than East In The West in Paignton, Not the cheapest(though not silly prices) but quality is outstanding though if peak season you will need to book well in advance.

Count me in!!

Dave

I'm NOT saying we should go here, just I think it should be considered, mindful it's a get together, not a fine dining evening at enormous cost.

I called into the 'Brewers Fayre', by the Premier Inn (Massingham Park, Priorswood Rd, Taunton TA2 7RX) today, making enquiries.

They have an area, they call it the 'Middle Section', though it's to the far left of the entrance when you go in.  Beyond that is a large glazed area, which today was set for 45 people to dine in.

The 'Middle Section' has - today - 2 x 6 place tables, and 4 x 4 place tables.  They can be configuerd how you like, but I would suggest not long refectory style as I think if there were 20 of us in that area, we would be able to grab a spare chair and converse at other tables in the area as required, etc., etc.,

Brewers Fayre are use to delivering plenty of meals in a short time, the price isn't high.

The pub today had two pull pumps of St. Austell/s 'Tribute', Thatchers Gold (that's me sorted) and also their Cloudy Ciders, Tetleys, Guinness, San Migual, Calsberg, Stella and loads of bottles.

Being mindful at least 4 rooms were booked this year in the Premier Inn for Swag, they at least won't have to drive if they drink, and perhaps a few more rooms will be booked next year.   As soon as the dates are known book a room, at present booking as far ahead as possible (Nov. 2016) it's £54 for a room on the Saturday night

My big moan, the cost of Taxi's in Taunton.  For the SWAG Saturday Dinner do, I ordered my taxi from the Premier Inn at 6.45, told it would be 10mins, at 7.26 it turned up, and delivered me to the Cross Keys, where the driver wanted to charge me £10.20. I asked if it was in the 'after midnight mode', OK £10......   It was 2.24 Miles to the Cross Keys.    A couple of years ago at Railex, 4 of us went from the Hotel to the Hop Pole - Great pub, it cost us £2.80 for the 2.5 miles - We couldn't believe it either, so we gave the driver a fiver, He was 5 mins coming to pick us up at the start, and seemingly just round the corner when we where ready to go back to the hotel for £3.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Fair enough Geoff, Presumably it wasn't when they first opened and hadn't sorted the staff out.

I'm always wary of recommending a place, because invariably when I've been it's a good night, and and when those I've mentioned it to, go, the Chef's left, there's a YTS starter running the kitchen, the Manager's ran away with the Bar supervisior , etc., etc., oh and the Premier League local football Club have a Home derby match and the 'living wage' lads have all phoned in with flu......

I stay in Premier Inn's at least a dozen times a year, and this month it will be 4 seperate occasions/places to add to that total (Tewksbury, Plymouth, Cardiff and Lincoln), I don't think I've reached the stage of running a book on time to deliver, yet.

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

The Premier Inn at Massingham Park is the fourth hotel I've stayed in for the Taunton event and it proved to be the best yet by a country mile. Two important considerations for me were:

1. It was possible to park the car within sight of my room, and

2. They start serving breakfast at 7am.

As Penlan says, the room rates are relatively good value. I can't speak for the evening dinner service, because I was in the Cross Keys waiting room  :D

• RMweb Gold

Just come across this thread - don't know why as I have been looking for it ! - says more about me rather than anyone else :-).

For me, this is the event of the year, thoroughly enjoyable, excellent company and great fun.  Although, I have only attended the last three events, I feel that I have made many new friends and have done things I could only dream about e.g. the driver experience in 2014.  Many, many thanks Tim and the team. 

As regards, 2017 and beyond, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. 

As a slight aside went past the Cross Keys on Saturday, it is now closed for refurbishment!

Cheers,

Aidan

• Like 1

....... I can't speak for the evening dinner service, because I was in the Cross Keys waiting room  :D

Yes, We should have had the pre-ordered meals for around 7.30pm, they didn't have the list, so took new orders which were delivered between 8.45 and 9pm.

• RMweb Gold

OK folks, so we have a general consensus that we do want to continue (Yippee !!)

We also have several members who have stepped forward to help where necessary and a few members who have offered specific help.

We have an offer for hosting a meeting of interested parties.

What we need to do now is 'something'. We are almost a month on from the last event and (as far as I can ascertain), we've not actually 'done' anything.

So, I think the first task is to book the halls for April 30th 2017. Volunteer, please !!

We also need to have a meeting and agree two list of actions and allocate members to manage those actions.

List 1 - what we need to do to prepare for the event (eg hall booking, asking for exhibitors, organising qualified catering staff, etc/)

List 2 - what we need to do closer to the time to make the event happen (floor planning, food sampling / ordering, etc.)

Please don't think I am putting myself forward to be the Captain's replacement - I just want to see things moving.

Geoff Endacott - please can you list a few dates you can host the meeting ? (and also some idea of where you are based)

Tim - do you have a list of potential exhibitors for 2017, from which we can work ?

Andy Y - what are Warners happy to continue to do (insurance ? ) for this event, and what tasks need to be now taken on by the new team ?

Cheers

Stu

• Like 5