SWAG Member's Day - 2017 - Some thoughts and questions

Stubby47

OK folks, so we have a general consensus that we do want to continue (Yippee !!)

We also have several members who have stepped forward to help where necessary and a few members who have offered specific help.

We have an offer for hosting a meeting of interested parties.

What we need to do now is 'something'. We are almost a month on from the last event and (as far as I can ascertain), we've not actually 'done' anything.

So, I think the first task is to book the halls for April 30th 2017. Volunteer, please !!

We also need to have a meeting and agree two list of actions and allocate members to manage those actions.

List 1 - what we need to do to prepare for the event (eg hall booking, asking for exhibitors, organising qualified catering staff, etc/)

List 2 - what we need to do closer to the time to make the event happen (floor planning, food sampling / ordering, etc.)

Please don't think I am putting myself forward to be the Captain's replacement - I just want to see things moving.

Geoff Endacott - please can you list a few dates you can host the meeting ? (and also some idea of where you are based)

Tim - do you have a list of potential exhibitors for 2017, from which we can work ?

Andy Y - what are Warners happy to continue to do (insurance ? ) for this event, and what tasks need to be now taken on by the new team ?

Cheers

Stu

Stu

Happy to go ahead and book the venue, as I had already been in contact to ascertain costs etc. the only thing I need to know is how long it's normally booked for, as it's an hourly rate. I assumed 9 'till 6 when I enquired, but if Tim or someone else can confirm the actual times previously booked.

Peter

P.S.

e-mail already sent booking.

As far as Insurance is concerned I also e-mailed Andy just after the event, I will also deal with this if that's o.k. I will sort layout values and the like closer to time, but between the two of us it will be sorted.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Subject to confirmation, I think the time the hall is booked for is possibly 7am to 5pm - I know we have to be out by 5pm and we can't arrive before 8:00, as there needs to be some marking out time.

• Like 1

Subject to confirmation, I think the time the hall is booked for is possibly 7am to 5pm - I know we have to be out by 5pm and we can't arrive before 8:00, as there needs to be some marking out time.

Reply just received from Felicity, we would have to be out by 5 anyway.

"Hello Peter

Thank you for your email.  I will reserve the Mary Mercer and Tom Fraser hall for you on 30 April 2017. We have another booking at 5 pm but I think you hired from 8 until 5 pm last time.

Can you please let me have a contact address and telephone number and the name of the organisation (has it changed?) so that I can send a hire agreement to you.  Please sign and return this with a £10 non-refundable booking deposit.  The balance of the booking fee is due two weeks before the event - I will invoice you."

Could someone let me know what the 'Organisation' was on the last booking form, so I can get the paperwork sorted? - And can someone confirm the 8 'till 5 requirement is valid?

Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The way the booking works is that the official booked times are 0800 to 1700, but we have always been allowed in from 0730 hrs, and until this year (when it was a different lady doing the bookings and holding the keys), I would collect the keys from her house at 0725 hrs (about 3 mins drive from the hall). This year, now that Felicity has taken over the bookings, I was allowed to collect the key from her house the previous evening (it's left 'out' in a specific place for hirers, one doesn't ring the bell etc.).

There are no layouts specifically booked for 2017, but I'll share a few ideas when we have our meeting.

• Like 1

The way the booking works is that the official booked times are 0800 to 1700, but we have always been allowed in from 0730 hrs, and until this year (when it was a different lady doing the bookings and holding the keys), I would collect the keys from her house at 0725 hrs (about 3 mins drive from the hall). This year, now that Felicity has taken over the bookings, I was allowed to collect the key from her house the previous evening (it's left 'out' in a specific place for hirers, one doesn't ring the bell etc.).

There are no layouts specifically booked for 2017, but I'll share a few ideas when we have our meeting.

Thanks for that Tim,  was there a specific name that the hall was booked in? - i.e. RMweb or SWAG, or was it in your name previously?

Peter

• RMweb Gold

To echo Geoff's question, how soon do we want a meeting ?

Or, would it be easier ( at the moment) to add progress posts to threads in a sub-forum ( 1 thread per required topic )  ?

We have a fairly comprehensive list already, we just need to decide who wants to manage each item.

• RMweb Gold

To echo Geoff's question, how soon do we want a meeting ?

Or, would it be easier ( at the moment) to add progress posts to threads in a sub-forum ( 1 thread per required topic )  ?

We have a fairly comprehensive list already, we just need to decide who wants to manage each item.

A fair point, Herr Stubbmeister, I would only point out that if we meet up together we can drink beer together as well. If we don't, we'll each have to open a bottle or can at home, and none of you would be able to tell if I was actually having a tot of Jaegermeister instead.

For what it's worth (probably nothing) I've never been a great fan of 'meetings', particularly when the tasks are largely established, perhaps some form of catch-up a couple of months before the event to check nothing has fallen between the cracks, but as long as the Captain is keeping an eye on progress.

The principle of separate threads could work well, perhaps one for the Venue, it's setting up, planning etc,. one for Saturday and it's activities, one for the layouts and modules, one for catering, and one for traders and s/h stall?

A fair point, Herr Stubbmeister, I would only point out that if we meet up together we can drink beer together as well. If we don't, we'll each have to open a bottle or can at home, and none of you would be able to tell if I was actually having a tot of Jaegermeister instead.

Precisely my point about meetings ;)

However it should not be overlooked that this isn't the organisation of a major railway exhibition, and part of it is the friendship of a group of disparate individuals. There's nothing to stop a gathering of those involved on a regular basis once the basics are in place to catch up on progress and have a beer or three?  It might not achieve a lot, but it helps bind the group into a team that would probably work together better.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

From the previously listed items, I have drafted out a couple of lists of topics - please feel free to add / amend as necessary, then we can create a thread for each one.

List 1 - Planning
  • Finding a mug to co-ordinate/manage
  • Book venue - confirm deposit and/or payment dates
  • Arranging event insurance
  • Arranging a trader or two, who may be willing to contribute to costs
  • Publicise event dates
  • Arranging something for people to do on the Saturday
  • Arranging visit to Taunton MRG
  • Appoint catering leader. Consider catering requirements and staffing - internally arranged or external provision?
  • Obtain exhibit details - sizes, accessibility requirements, any special requests etc ;
  • Administering/arranging layouts and modules
  • A second-hand/bring-and-buy stand
  • Start floor planning to give ongoing idea of space available
  • Module planning & co-ordination
  • Arranging a venue for the Saturday night meal.
  • Calculate total exhibit values for insurance
  • Issue instructions to exhibitors
  • Finalise hall plan

List 2 - The event

• Layout floor plan
  • Ordering food and vittels. Assess food requirements for exhibitors    Guesstimate food provision for visitors and pricing (to cover free food/drinks for exhibitors)
  • Arranging staff to cater 
  • Experienced food prep handlers, ideally with food hygiene certification within the team. 
  • Draw up list of food/drink to be purchased
  • Prepare catering plan
  • Form 'help team' for setting up and breaking down for measuring out, setting out tables/chairs etc and assisting exhibitors.
  • Making sure the place is cleaned.

Edit : moved : Saturday activity to Planning

Edit : added : Taunton MRG visit

Edit - added : Module Planning

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

The 'day out' on Saturday- is there any planning needed to secure visits or does it happen on a more ad-hoc basis ? Not sure if it shouldn't be in the Planning section? Otherwise it looks good to me, obviously Tim is in the best position to know if there's anything significant missing.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

The 'day out' on Saturday- is there any planning needed to secure visits or does it happen on a more ad-hoc basis ? Not sure if it shouldn't be in the Planning section? Otherwise it looks good to me, obviously Tim is in the best position to know if there's anything significant missing.

Peter

All the Saturday visits to the WSR in previous years involved a fair bit of liaison and planning with the WSR, especially the driving of the 08 at Norton Fitzwarren.

Organising the main Sunday event, plus the Saturday evening activities, is already quite a lot for one person. I believe it was suggested earlier that an 'all-day' event on the Saturday might be better organised by another member of the committee/team.

If I had been continuing, and had also had the time and energy for it, I was considering organising a trip to the Lynton & Barnstaple at Woody Bay (probably 90 mins drive from Taunton). I don't know anyone there, so I can't help in that regard, but it might be something to think about for a future weekend.

The visits to the Taunton MRG at Bishops Lydeard also have to be requested/agreed with the group (I have a contact, who is a personal friend but not - to my knowledge - active on here). The group don't normally meet on a Saturday afternoon/evening, so each time over the years, they have opened up specially for us and we've never had to pay them anything for their trouble either.

As regards layouts, something that I always looked at was whether any of our regular exhibitors had a new layout, or perhaps an extension/modification to an existing one, that they might wish to bring. Otherwise, I generally kept an eye on the 'Layouts' section of the forum and would send a PM or e-mail to a layout owner, if I liked the look of their layout.

A note on traders - thus far we've had three traders, all of whom have come at their own cost (which perhaps is what you'd expect), but then again, I've never charged them for a 'pitch' either. The principle is that they don't make that much at this event, so merely having them there adds to the attraction for us and provides a 'retail therapy' opportunity that we might otherwise not have had. Bear in mind that they all have some distance to travel, plus loading/uploading their vehicles before and after the event. None of them is local to Taunton. If you wish to charge them something for their 'pitch', please consider that this may tip the economic balance for them of attending, and the event might end up the poorer for not having them as part of the 'mix'.

I do like the idea of a 'Bring & Buy' stand. We did try it at the very first event, but it needed someone to manage and staff it, which wasn't really possible at that time, and from the second event onwards, I managed to persuade Dave from The Model Shop, Exeter, to attend instead (the first trader planned for the first event in 2008 didn't show up on the day, he did have a very long way to come, but didn't make it, so there was actually a lot of space for the 'Bring & Buy', such as it was).

Finally, the Saturday evening meal. Although the Cross Keys was a shambles this year, I believe the reason it's currently closed is due to it being under new management - Greene King - so you may wish to consider giving them one further chance in the future.

Edited by Captain Kernow

If we haven't got an overall leader (no-one's been daft enough to quite take up that role) I feel it would be worth considering if someone could take on these part roles:

Layout and Demonstration booking/communications co-ordinator - Stubby

Catering co-ordinator

Modular co-ordinator

Set-up/break-down cordinator

Aside from sorting hall and insurance payments I'd be happy to do the hall planning (if I'm provided with the sizes by the layout co-ordinator) and measuring out on the Sunday morning. The plans can be shared on here. As part of that role I'd be happy with doing the 'publicity' communications.

Edited by Andy Y
Edited to add names to roles
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So , updating List 1, we have :

Finding a mug to co-ordinate/manage - ??
Book venue - confirm deposit and/or payment dates - peter220950
Arranging event insurance - peter220950 / Andy Y
Arranging a trader or two - ??
Publicise event dates - Andy Y
Arranging something for people to do on the Saturday - ??
Arranging visit to Taunton MRG - Mike (The Stationmaster)
Appoint catering leader.  - ??
Obtain exhibit details - sizes, accessibility requirements, any special requests etc - Stubby47
Administering/arranging layouts and modules - Stubby47
A second-hand/bring-and-buy stand - Phil Copleston
Start floor planning to give ongoing idea of space available - Stubby47 / Andy Y
Module planning & co-ordination - ??  (Mike (SidecarRacer ?)
Arranging a venue for the Saturday night meal - ??
Calculate total exhibit values for insurance - Stubby47 / Andy / peter220950
Issue instructions to exhibitors - Stubby47 / Andy Y
Finalise hall plan - Andy Y / Stubby47

So, a few positions to fill, primarily the catering one....

Hello fellow Swagonians,

If we haven't got an overall leader (no-one's been daft enough to quite take up that role) I feel it would be worth considering if someone could take on these part roles:

Layout and Demonstration booking/communications co-ordinator - Stubby

Catering co-ordinator

Modular co-ordinator

Set-up/break-down cordinator

Aside from sorting hall and insurance payments I'd be happy to do the hall planning (if I'm provided with the sizes by the layout co-ordinator) and measuring out on the Sunday morning. The plans can be shared on here. As part of that role I'd be happy with doing the 'publicity' communications.

Excellent key-persons list, Andy. But I'd add 'Trade co-ordinator' to this list too, as this is the other key functional element to the Sunday event. See below...

Obtain exhibit details - sizes, accessibility requirements, any special requests etc - Stubby47
Start floor planning to give ongoing idea of space available - Stubby47 / Andy Y

I'd be happy to take on 'Trade Liaison' as well as organising a 'bring-and-buy/second-hand' stand - as the two seem to naturally hang together. And it is something I could co-ordinate from afar (here in Cornwall).

I hope you all agree that having a small but select range of 'retail therapy' options on the day is all part of the fun of our currently successful 'mix'!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 5

But I'd add 'Trade co-ordinator' to this list too ....... I'd be happy to take on 'Trade Liaison' as well as organising a 'bring-and-buy/second-hand' stand

You've created your own job there; have you worked in government? :)

Good idea though.

• RMweb Gold

If Sidecar Racer Mike isn't keen to carry on running the modular effort I'm happy to take it back but it might possibly also turn into a small organising team (!!) - main thing is the matter of getting enough tables and co-ordinating who will be taking part each year ;)  (there is a separate item regarding the fiddle yards but that's really within the module group)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mike (sidecar racer) I believe is on holiday in Spain at the moment riding roller coasters. Not sure when he is back.

If Mike (SR) doesn't want to continue then like Mike (stationmaster), I would be happy to take on this role or be part of any modular group.

On the catering side, would I be right in assuming that some sort of hygiene/ catering cert is required?

I would also be happy to organise the evening meal on the Saturday - I do live quite close to Taunton, so could visit a few eateries over the next few months.

Cheers,

Aidan

• Like 6

I would also be happy to organise the evening meal on the Saturday - I do live quite close to Taunton, so could visit a few eateries over the next few months.

Oh such self-less dedication to comestible field research! Good man, Aidan  :derisive:

Yes, We should have had the pre-ordered meals for around 7.30pm, they didn't have the list, so took new orders which were delivered between 8.45 and 9pm.

Well you wont have the same problem ! wait next year if it happens ,,,,the cross keys is shut down!........

It's changing chain to a chef and brewer