End of The Line For Me?

Currently I'm at some crossroads in my life.

For the past ten years or so, I've been fascinated by trains and greatly enjoyed model railways. I spent countless hours reading about railways, visiting the local heritage lines, and tinkering about with model trains. However, I've found myself moving further and further away from this hobby, despite it being a large part of my childhood.

I think this really came apparent to me when I found an old micro layout I remember building one afternoon in the garden, last summer. And I remember how it was a last ditch attempt at me staying interested in the hobby; I presumed making a little project would inspire me to carry on.

It didn't work.

Since then, all my model railway stuff has stayed untouched for over eight months. I find it quite odd in a way, to have something that I cared about so much about be left and ignored. But at the same time, I never let myself forget it was all there, sitting in its' boxes and waiting to be gotten out again. I think this is because I just don't know what to do with it all; I have no idea if I will carry on a hobby with trains, or let it all slip into the past...

In the meantime, I'll post some pictures of the diorama. It looks pretty bad as I only made it in a day, and it's a little damaged after being stored for so long.

1e

E3

E5

E2

E4

Edited by IEatCoal

You don't need our permission to change direction or give up the hobby, its your life.

Go in the direction that gives you pleasure, be pleased that you gained enjoyment with it in the past, do not feel guilty if you wish to move on.

Its a big world out there enjoy exploring and discovering new enjoyments.  That's what life is all about.

Since then, all my model railway stuff has stayed untouched for over eight months.

8 months? Apart from a short period 7 years ago, my model railway stuff stayed untouched for more like 20 years! That's why I'm building 4 layouts at the moment, and am about to start on the baseboards for another. But I never actually gave it up!!!

• Like 4

Pretty impressive for one day's work.  Best of luck to you sir

exactly....

So! Which way do you think you might be heading Sir? The points are set for carrying staight on, rather than veering off to the left.

From one Mr Toad to another (looking across a room full of different hobby projects) - does it matter so long as you feel you are getting a good run for your money?

:jester:

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you do decide to go in a different direction, I'd advise keeping at least some of your model railway stuff for a while as you explore new interests until you're feeling sure of the change. Sometimes people who decide to give up the hobby do so with a flourish, sell all their stuff, then a little while later (a few months or a few years) feel they want to come back and then regret the sell off.

I've had times when I've wanted to give up the hobby altogether and get rid of everything. However, despite all the problems I've recently been going through, I know it's a hobby I want to hold on to. It's costing me in the most literal sense right now, but I'm not going to lose stuff if I can possibly avoid it, even though right now it's boxed up and unusable in a container like pretty much my whole life (we need a violin smiley ;) )

Edited by Ian J.

I think that you would find that most here have taken a sabbatical from modelling at some time.  Usually its between the single state before girls and all that means and retirement. 

Brian.

• Like 1

If you do decide to go in a different direction, I'd advise keeping at least some of your model railway stuff for a while as you explore new interests until you're feeling sure of the change. Sometimes people who decide to give up the hobby do so with a flourish, sell all their stuff, then a little while later (a few months or a few years) feel they want to come back and then regret the sell off.

I've had times when I've wanted to give up the hobby altogether and get rid of everything. However, despite all the problems I've recently been going through, I know it's a hobby I want to hold on to. It's costing me in the most literal sense right now, but I'm not going to lose stuff if I can possibly avoid it, even though right now it's boxed up and unusable in a container like pretty much my whole life (we need a violin smiley ;) )

Yes, I cant agree more with the above, I did sell off all my stuff, bar a few bits and bobs that nobody wanted as I was "done with all that".

Guess what?.....

Not only have I to buy stuff again but I can't believe how much more expensive it is, and that's if it is still available.

Hi I feel very much the same two unfinished micro layouts one in oo the other o gauge just cant seem to fire myself up lately so I thought about selling up and taking up somethink new then I went to the local exhibition and enjoyed it very much so came home put my trains away until the urge comes back which I know it will :scratchhead:so don't be to hasty lol

The joy of micros is that you can box it all up and put it aside for a while without it using up a whole room in your house or more.

They're also relatively cheap and quick to put together, and you don't need to have much stock. So sell it all and if the urge comes back in the form of South African metre gauge you'll be free to follow that without worrying about having a box full of GWR rolling stock...

I had the same with Lego trains. (and Lego in general) I loved it from being a kid with had a brief waning from about 15-20 years old, then 15 years of it being more important to me than model railways, but then when my kids turned into toddlers I completely lost interest.

Edited by Talltim

Some people follow one hobby, with pretty tight focus on one theme, for an entire lifetime (think Rev Denny and the Buckingham branches); some follow the broad stream of a hobby, catching different eddies and currents (the classic micro- builder); some dip into various hobbies in succession (my father became interested in Egyptology, then played in a skiffle band and being a radio amateur; then took up painting; then growing and collecting cacti; then ran a poetry society; then researched and wrote about local history!).

No approach is right or wrong. Except possibly not having any hobby at all ...... Which (no surprise given my upbringing) I find a really odd idea!

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Go in the direction that gives you pleasure, be pleased that you gained enjoyment with it in the past, do not feel guilty if you wish to move on.

Its a big world out there enjoy exploring and discovering new enjoyments.  That's what life is all about.

Full agreement!

Something alike happened to me several years ago: I was deeply involved in designing and making Travelscopes, and was quite successful with this activity.

But suddenly (i.e. within a single week !! ) I completely lost my interest in astronomy in general and specifically in making telescopes.

What should I do?

Sit down and weep??

Not at all !!

As time went by I started reading novels, later I delved into simple electronic circuits which led me to Model Railroads.

Where I still am...

Follow your interest - it's your life!

Regards

Armin

Travelscopes are astronomical telescopes designed to fit into a rucksack (or so) and be brought by a single person to a suitable observing site - see for example this description.

Sorry I haven't replied since - I've been quite busy with this and that.

I'd like to say how grateful I am for all of your overwhelmingly supportive and kind comments; it has helped to clear my mind quite a lot!

It was great to read through all of your comments and advice, and I feel happier now than I did before thanks to you.

I think this is what is great about this community: helping others.

Thank you once again,

T

:)

• Like 2

Wow thank you Sir, I have been ashamed to admit I am in the same boat, I have been in the Model Railroad/Railway business Professionally most of my working life and maybe due to that my interest in building a model Railway/Railroad usually lasts about 6 months and then its sell and move on to the next thing. About a year ago I decided to become an armchair modeler and am 90% happy with that decision, I enjoy watching videos on YOUTUBE Model and Prototype but that is as far as it goes.

.........for the moment.

Edited by Matador

• 2 months later...

Just read this thread. I think everyone has various intense periods of modelling, other periods where the interest wains and less is done and periods when the interest goes completely. I had ten years or more when I had no layout and no place for one. During this time I built up an extensive collection of locomotives and rolling stock. This was stored away until such time as space became available. In the last 7 years I have flittered from one project to another. Four years ago my daughter was born and I thought my modelling would come to another end. Instead I ended with some unexpected inspiration and built my Skaleby West layout in just nine months.

Since then I have hit a long barren spell and have done very little. I have lacked inspiration for a while. My current project is crawling along and I am struggling to be inspired by it. I am sure that will change soon. Like others have said, keep your stock you never know when your interest will be reignited.

Incidentally - for a one day job that micro is great work.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 1

If you still have the layout and want to use it, I would suggest increasing the challenge you set yourself. I'll make suggestions with reference to the first photo, so how about:

1. Make thsi baseboard about two inches deeper neares to the camera in front of the current main track. Set this revised baseboard on top of a sub-base so that your current track is now about about 4 or 5 inches above the new base level. 

2. Lay another length of track parallel to the main one on the side nearest the camera. Add a buffer stop to the new track at the right hand end. 

3. Slope down an embankment at about 45 degrees, or drop a wall vertically from the new track/siding. At the bottom have a strip of about 3 or 4 inches that can be a road, another piece of track (for scenic purposes only) or a canal running along the front of the layout. The roadway you already have could come towards the viewer on a bridge that crosses whatever you decide to install at the lower level. 

4. Make a small board to the left so that you can run the layout off-scene to the left onto a small hidden sector plate with two tracks maximum (one running track, one as storage).

5, Go for more scenic work - trees, bushes, people doing things, rubbish and much more on the embankment or by the wall, alongside the lower feature.Put a backscene in place (even just paint a sky on some board).

I think you're in need of more challenge, so try developing this great starting position. It will cost you a bit of wood and about 3 feet of new straight track and you will then have a long and a short siding to fiddle between, and the electrics are not difficult. Good luck!

aac

• 3 months later...

I too were in the doldrums for many years regarding model railroads. My trains and model kits have been in boxes for decades,always something that needed to be attended too. Then I retired a few years ago and started looking around for some hobby that was cheap and satisfying on a pension. Hey what about that box full of trains? Then the internet and finding Carl Arendt site about micro layouts and the feeling that I can do that! It's small cheap and I have models already so here we go again. I'm still interested in Astronamy and Armour modelling so who knows where I'll end up. But if I've learned anything in my 65 years hold on to you're interests you never know when it'll come around again

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I cant agree more with the above, I did sell off all my stuff, bar a few bits and bobs that nobody wanted as I was "done with all that".

Guess what?.....

Not only have I to buy stuff again but I can't believe how much more expensive it is, and that's if it is still available.

Yes. I was well into everything NSE then got a like for BR Blue so sold all the NSE stuff off. Then got a like for BR Steam so all the BR Blue went to fund that. Then sold all that off to buy a pair of alpha binoculars for birding. And now I am slowly collecting NSE stuff again. Dare not think how much has been spent over a time and never finished a layout yet

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old posting up it kind of rings true with a lot of us. I too seem to be going through his period of lack of activity on model trains. At times I almost have to force myself into the train room to do something. I think at times I want to box it all up other than a few odd things.. but right now I’m just leaving it sit as I know the desire will return....like another poster said he’s enjoying the armchair aspect of our hobby... At least I know I’m not alone.

Steve

I have been through patches of dis-interest & inactivity, some lasting for a few years.

Something usually sparks a return. Maybe hearing a steam loco chuff past on the main line, seeing something on TV, stumbling across a show or popping into a model shop for no apparent reason. It may be something else in life which prompts you to get back into it. Maybe you take up some form of sport & have to take some time out due to an injury, so you look for something different?