FOOD FOR THOUGHT

allan downes

My grandson brought a Leggo radio controlled  American outline diesel locomotive for me to look at - for the price, it was amazing.

So OK, it was niether one scale or another and, I would say closer to O gauage than Gauge 1, but I reckon that the servo/motor could easily be made to fit into the tender of an O gauge loco with the controller allowing for real slow speed running.

Now it's quite possible that both the servo and controller can be bought separately as 'spares' but you would need to check. 

Anyway here's what to look for if you google.

Leggo City Cargo Train 60052. - £104 .99

Definitely worth a look for just the servo and controller units alone oh, and it runs on AAA  batteries and, or so I was told, in kids language of course  " Forever  Gramps ! " 

Allan

The lego motors used in the trains now a days would be terrible for scale models.

All control of motors is through a 7 speed step system, which would give terrible results if you were looking for accurate control. Not to mention you would have to change the lego power functions socket to connect a motor to it.

Overall, your idea, while new, is new for the reason that no one would want to do it, if they had the choice not to.

Even in the Lego train community, people dont like the power functions method of control as...well...it doesnt give much control. Not to mention its an IR based system, which gets all messed up when you arent right in front of the receiver.

Also, you are able to buy all the electrical components separately directly from Lego under the Power Functions line.

When we ran the loco over the carpet I was quite impressed by the amount of control we had over the movement which ranged from very slow to quite fast.

Not knowing much, if anything at all, about radio control, when converting to the system don't you have to disconnect the pickups from the track and connect the power from the servo to the loco motor ?  If so, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Anyway and as I said, I'm no expert in these matters and what you say against the idea is very possibly right.

I just thought there might have been possibilities for RC users.

Allan.

Archived