03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

Good news about th 03 which joins the 05 announced last November.

They have got to start on the AC & DC electrics soon as they are fast running out of diesels.

Some first generation DMU's would be nice as well.

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

The 07 ought to have been done BEFORE the 03.........we have already HAD a flood of 03's in both kit and rtr form. But no 07 yet.

Presumably there are lots of factors which made them say 'we're going to produce -this- now' rather than something else, rather than a completely arbitrary decision.

I think it's just nice that companies such as Heljan (and others) are producing these things - even if I don't happen to want their latest offering personally.

Good luck to them.

• RMweb Gold

The 07 ought to have been done BEFORE the 03.........we have already HAD a flood of 03's in both kit and rtr form. But no 07 yet.

Prototypically the 07 is not a real winner as unless you favour Eastleigh shed & works or Southampton Docks and a couple of obscure industrial locations during a terribly short working life, why would Heljan risk the capital although personally I thought the 05 was a bit brave? Whereas the 03 lasted far longer and was seen across most of England & Wales and a good number went into industrial use over a wider time span and with an increased livery and detail variations choice to suit possible limited editions sponsored hopefully by the larger retailers. Personally would have prefered a Drewry 04 but there you go, a first class and less expensive 03 will be a winner I am sure!

Kevin

Comes back to the simple fact that not all modellers - regardless of scale - have the time, skills or inclination to "build stuff".

Sometimes, we just want to buy stuff and play trains.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good news about th 03 which joins the 05 announced last November.

They have got to start on the AC & DC electrics soon as they are fast running out of diesels.

Some first generation DMU's would be nice as well.

I would have thought it depends how the large prairie does, if it does well there are lots of options there. There are lots of niche prototypes people would like, but not that many would make viable production models. They are bound to be looking hard at how Falcon did. Models of prototypes and restricted fleets  need a wow factor to make them worth doing.  But you never know your luck, they may try one - they did the railcar.

An 03 is a great choice in my eyes - I will have a blue one for sure - maybe they thought they should announce it so that Dapol couldn't do it after their 08!!!

I agree with sentiments above that a DMU would be a good idea - a 101 or 105 would be tops for me.

I get that an 07 isn't as attractive as an 03......but the 03 has been done to death, and the 05 wasn't exactly popular as a real loco.......

but the 03 has been done to death

Not as ready-to-run it hasn't, and before you mention the Brassworks one, that still needed painting etc so I class that as 'part finished'.

Remember that there are a lot of people getting into O gauge who have neither the skills, the patience or the time to solder up a brass kit, the same as it always has been - the difference now is that the ready-to-run market is helping a lot of people into O gauge who would have otherwise never got started.

• Agree 1

I think an 03 will be a popular model and the 05 will be available in a few industrial liveries no doubt Heljan are trying to cash in on the success of the Ixion / Minerva industrial market that's been very popular.

RTR DMU's surely can't be far off, a 117, 120, 121, 128 would suit me just fine.

Not as ready-to-run it hasn't,

[panto mode] Oh yes it has [/panto mode]

As well as Bachmann, who were knocking out painted 03's & 04's for £250 not so many years back, there is also the super detail DJH rtr version.  DJH are currently showing 10 versions in stock, although the price has risen significantly in previous years.

Whilst Bachmann is no longer available and DJH is quite expensive, I reckon many of those who have been into 7mm for more than a couple of years have probably got enough 03s.  It is especially important to consider just how many Bachmann produced - lots!  This was why Dapol went for the 08 (can't remember where they said as much though).

I do hope Heljan don't get their fingers burnt on this one, but selling a second hand factory painted Bachmann 03 a couple of years ago was a pain in the rear.  They'll have to get the price spot on with this one me thinks.

btw the Class 14 is also available rtr from DJH.

Agree with both the above. pricing will be crucial...and Bachmann ain't usually cheap.......

Although if JLTRT did one, THEN you'd see pricing. LOL