03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

Thanks that is really useful.

I don't think I will be able to justify one really but, based on that information, I'll check what type some of the Darlington and Gateshead examples were... just in case I am tempted!! ;)

Cheers

I had forgotten about 03370 and 03371 in my original post, which also had black buffer beams with conical exhausts in later years although 03371 was fitted with air brakes by then, so not exactly like the Heljan model.. See links below.

https://flic.kr/p/9JSkCM

https://flic.kr/p/qA7DLm

Paul J.

I had forgotten about 03370 and 03371 in my original post, which also had black buffer beams with conical exhausts in later years although 03371 was fitted with air brakes by then, so not exactly like the Heljan model.. See links below.

https://flic.kr/p/9JSkCM

https://flic.kr/p/qA7DLm

Paul J.

Thanks Paul, they're useful images :) I think conical exhaust and a yellow bufferbeam would be most fitting for the BR Blue Gateshead and Darlington examples I have seen. Or red buffer beams for the green ones! Thanks again for your help and expertise.

From the late 70's into the 80's the only conical ones I can remember at GD were 03021 & 03022 which were transferred there late 1980 and then quite a few years later than that 03371 appeared so in the main best stick to flowerpots!

Thanks Paul, they're useful images :) I think conical exhaust and a yellow bufferbeam would be most fitting for the BR Blue Gateshead and Darlington examples I have seen. Or red buffer beams for the green ones! Thanks again for your help and expertise.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I wasn't at Kettering last weekend but, for anyone who did make it, was there any news or talk about the Class 03? I don't know whether Heljan attended themselves, but the last chat I heard was that delivery was expected in the summer. 

Edited by south_tyne
Stupidity...

7 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I wasn't at Kettering last weekend but, for anyone who did make it, was there any news or talk about the Class 03? I don't know whether Heljan attended themselves, but the last chat I heard was that delivery was expected in the summer. 

Pic here on Tower Models website,looking good IMO,have got a blue one on pre-order with my local model shop.

http://tower-models.com

Rob

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own recent question, there is now an update on the Tower Models website saying delivery is anticipated for late-summer/autumn (nice and vague and leaves some wriggle-room! :laugh_mini:). Some new liveries added too evidently. 

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who hasn't spotted it, the latest update on the Tower website states: "Heljan Class 03 - Almost completed, factory painted test samples expected soon."

Edited by south_tyne
Ridiculous spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 20/08/2016 at 03:20, Swindon 123 said:

Other way around. Well that is what the photos seem to say. The LH one is the "late" variant, and the RH one the early one. I found three locos with the late variant, D2576, D2581/2, and possibly a fourth, D2584, but the photo is unclear. a photo of D2581 showing this variation of wasp stripes can be found here. https://flic.kr/p/dwsyUr  . As far as I can tell with the photographic evidence available, the rest of the 05's had the earlier style of wasp stripes, D2578 definitely did as we found when restoring the loco, but most photo's of the locos are usually bonnet first so don't show the back of the cab, so there may be other examples of the "later" wasp stripes out there.

Paul J.

Rails current prices for the 05s make one very tempting. 

Thanks for this clarification about which variant is "late" and which is "early".  Is there any information about when the wasp stripes were applied?  The plain green one appeals but is maybe a bit early for what I might want to model - probably very early 1960s.

On 06/08/2019 at 15:04, 26power said:

Thanks for this clarification about which variant is "late" and which is "early".  Is there any information about when the wasp stripes were applied?  The plain green one appeals but is maybe a bit early for what I might want to model - probably very early 1960s.

As with all things liveries and shunters, it is difficult to pin down dates of livery changes, but if the dates given on the photos i have in my collection are accurate, then wasp stripes started to appear around 1960 with D2585 being an early recipient of them. but it seems to have been a protracted affair applying them as D2578 was still all over green in 1962, and D2580 appears to have lasted until early 1964 before it received them. With regards to the different style of wasp stripes, as I have come across more photos of the class it seems that both types appeared at the same time, it possibly being dependent on which works/shed applied them, as the which type a loco got. hope this info helps in your choice of loco.

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Essentially the 03 looks good

My only comment from the photo of 03107 in the photo above is that the BR arrow looks a fair bit on the 'thick' side. HJ have done this before! so it looks like I will need to replace that with a Fox version...

I wonder who is going to bring out the bits to convert the HJ model into an air braked version - that would be handy otherwise I have got some scratchbuilding to do!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/08/2019 at 15:04, 26power said:

Indeed, they make it practically impossible to say no.

Not quite sure what I am going to do with it yet, but an industrial shunting plank would appear to be on the cards. :D

cop7SbP.jpg

Edited by Night Train
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Night Train said:

Indeed, they make it practically impossible to say no.

Not quite sure what I am going to do with it yet, but an industrial shunting plank would appear to be on the cards. :D

cop7SbP.jpg

Yes, I gave in when they were another £10 off in the Rails advent calendar offer last week!

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Seems to have gone quiet on the Class 03 delivery date, anyone heard anything. I thought now the 50’s were sorted these maybe the next due in January.

Update from Ben Jones as to what stage the Heljan O gauge releases are at the moment. (end of November this was originally posted)

Class 03 - 2016 - IN PRODUCTION, ABOUT TO BE SHIPPED. DUE JAN

Class 50 - 4/17 - SHIPPED - DUE DEC 17TH

Class 56 - 8/18 - CAD SIGNED OFF. IN TOOLING. LATE-2021

Class 17 - 11/18 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 OR Q4 2020.

Class 31/1, 31/4 - 9/19 - MINOR ALTS BEING MADE TO TOOLING. AWAITING DECO SAMPLES. Q3 2020.

Class 40 centre headcode - 11/19 - FIRST COMPLETE SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED AND MINOR ALTS IN PROGRESS. DUE MID-2020

Class 47 retool - 1/18. NOW IN TOOLING (FINALLY!) - FIRST SAMPLES EXPECTED IN THE NEW YEAR. DUE LATE-2020.

Class 117 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 OR Q4 2020.

Class 120 (rumour this has been cancelled) - NOT A RUMOUR. THIS HAS BEEN SHELVED FOR SOME TIME.

Class 121 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 2020.

Class 122 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 OR Q4 2020.

GWR AEC Railcar 8/18 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 2020.

Mark 1 CCT 9/19 - CAD IN PROGRESS. RELEASE DATE TBC.

• Thanks 2