03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

Nearly got the CEGB 05 today while in a certain Yorkshire shop (on sale) but noticed it has the wrong rad grill, shame as I’ve worked on both of the real beasts and I can be a river counter. Also said loco did not have vac pipes in that livery. Settled for a OO one to renumber.

6 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Tower have said they now expect the O Gauge 03’s in on Friday or next Monday.

Cheers, Ade.

An expensive start to the year, have 1 on order, debating if I should order a 2nd...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On Tower's site there seem to have been a number of changes to what is being produced and it currently states.....

"there will EVENTUALLY be 2 models reflecting the various detail changes made between 'early' and 'late' versions' - what does this mean does anybody know??

Are they saying they are going to produce an air braked version?? because if so that will affect my order as I would prefer an air braked one or maybe something depending on your definition of 'early' and 'late'...

Maybe I will have to phone them but does anybody know what this is about??

33 minutes ago, deltic17 said:

On Tower's site there seem to have been a number of changes to what is being produced and it currently states.....

"there will EVENTUALLY be 2 models reflecting the various detail changes made between 'early' and 'late' versions' - what does this mean does anybody know??

Are they saying they are going to produce an air braked version?? because if so that will affect my order as I would prefer an air braked one or maybe something depending on your definition of 'early' and 'late'...

Maybe I will have to phone them but does anybody know what this is about??

I have just looked, I think it refers to the 2 chimney types, it looks like the flower pot fitted ones are the first to arrive with others following in Feb.

On 07/01/2020 at 15:53, 37114 said:

I have just looked, I think it refers to the 2 chimney types, it looks like the flower pot fitted ones are the first to arrive with others following in Feb.

Close.

Per Heljan Facebook page first four to arrive are

• #2051  D2011 BR Green Conical exhaust
  • #2052  Class 03 un-numbered BR Green Flowerpot exhaust
  • #2055  D2033 BR Green/wasp stripe ends Flowerpot exhaust
  • #2057  Class 03 un-numbered BR Green/wasps Flowerpot exhaust

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2020 at 20:19, deltic17 said:

The full quote is:

"Heljan have announced the release of the BR Class 03 in 'O' gauge, as built with the vacuum brakes. Several liveries will be available and there will eventually be two models reflecting the various detail changes made between 'early' and 'late' versions covering the earlier BR green liveries and the later BR blue liveries"

It says elsewhere there are 4 green and 4 blue. The green ones are nearly here, the blue ones are following on. I don't think there was any more to it than that.

Edited by Hal Nail

Not too impressed with the pics of the 03 on Hattons website. The BR crest colours look poor and the wasp stripes stop over the bonnet stop with a black strip. Looks like a bit of airbrushing needed, not welcome on a £350 model!! Especially when Dapol can do a nice Y1 for £150...

Edited by delticfan
punctuation

I see what you mean, the coupling rods being black is not correct either. Mine is due to be heavily weathered as 03382 so the livery issues won't matter too much but I can imagine will be enjoying to others.

21 hours ago, delticfan said:

Not too impressed with the pics of the 03 on Hattons website. The BR crest colours look poor and the wasp stripes stop over the bonnet stop with a black strip. Looks like a bit of airbrushing needed, not welcome on a £350 model!! Especially when Dapol can do a nice Y1 for £150...

I can't comment fully re green ones but the blue ones had a black strip on the top of the wasp stripes so it is correct from a BR Blue perspective.

Looking at a photo from the heritage shunters collection a green 03 also has the black strip you mention.....so it could well be correct too.

Re the crest it could just be hattons rush job to get a photo on their site and might be fine in better light....

• RMweb Gold

I plan on modelling an un-numbered example in green with wasp stripes into D2196.

As you will see this example does not have the black strip on top. 

Looks like the lamps may have been red ? on the one I wish to portray. I will enjoy doing the mods needed to make this loco into the one I want for my line.

Looks like I will need to remove one horn, get rid of the overhead warning signs, paint the footsteps, lamps etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Diesel D2196.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, deltic17 said:

I can't comment fully re green ones but the blue ones had a black strip on the top of the wasp stripes so it is correct from a BR Blue perspective.

Looking at a photo from the heritage shunters collection a green 03 also has the black strip you mention.....so it could well be correct too.

Re the crest it could just be hattons rush job to get a photo on their site and might be fine in better light....

Yes agreed with the crest I'll have a look when it turns up, if not I'll change it when I renumber it D2111 (Railtec) the last passenger special on the DVLR to Cliffe Common Jan 1965. I bet there are a few variations with the stripes so might take a view on how they look, Heljan yellow on BR Green always looks a bit pale to me ah well.

I suspect that green/wasp might well have had a black strip at the top (though I am yet to find any photographic evidence), but it did not come forward enough to show up in most pictures taken from ground level. Bachmann have of course modelled it thus in their 4mm offering. I wonder if Heljan might have it a bit wrong, and you shouldn't be able to see the black strip on the face of the engine - they seem to have brought it too far forward? I am pleased to see though that they have not gone for red coupling rods. As far as I know Swindon built machines came with oiled steel rods.