03 & 05 in O gauge

steve fay

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Looks like the lamps may have been red ? on the one I wish to portray.

Based on that black and white photo? I'm not sure about that - they look a lot darker than the buffer beam although admittedly not as dark as other black bits. I'd still stick with black unless I had conclusive evidence otherwise, personally.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Yes, hence my question mark. I was hoping someone might know for sure.

Cheers, Ade.

Found a colour photo of the one before, D2195 which are black at Highworth in 1962. Unless that used up the last of the black paint...!

• Thanks 1

I have never found a photo of an 03 in BR use that had the marker lamps anything other than black, or sometimes green if they first appeared in all over green. Those that had wasp stripes from new generally had black lamps. In the blue era, lamps could be blue or black, there didn't seem to be a pattern, other than possibly where painted, which may well be the case most of the time, as I have come across at least one 03 with yellow lamps. Also be aware that some 03's had 08 style lamps instead of the square ones. It seemed to be mainly SR based ones, but they did move around. As always there are a bewildering number of variations, so access to a good colour photo is the only real way to be sure. And yes I know that is not always possible, which is very frustrating!!!!!!

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2020 at 18:18, Adrian Stevenson said:

I plan on modelling an un-numbered example in green with wasp stripes into D2196.

As you will see this example does not have the black strip on top. 

Looks like the lamps may have been red ? on the one I wish to portray. I will enjoy doing the mods needed to make this loco into the one I want for my line.

Looks like I will need to remove one horn, get rid of the overhead warning signs, paint the footsteps, lamps etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Diesel D2196.jpg

I've come across a picture of  D2195 on the Highworth Branch, taken from the bridge approaching Hannington station, and the chevrons do appear to run over the top of the curved section of the loco face (Wild Swan - The Highworth Branch page 79), though the lighting conditions make it difficult to see whether there is a black band beyond this. The same seems to be true of D2141 on the Hemyock branch (Oakwood, Culm Valley Light Railway page 108). Yet on D2034 at Ellingham there quite clearly is a lower black stripe (Diesels in East Anglia - Dr Ian Allen figure 105) and it looks just like the Heljan D2033. Obviously a bit of variation.. chevrons added at Norwich...?

• Thanks 1

Wasp stripe received today. Crest is ok not worth changing, movement is ok not the smoothest but dcc may improve that, body is a bit lopsided but sorted that quite easily with two paper packs, the body comes off really easily with four screws, the footplate side access is a bit warped but only because it is wafer thin so should be easy to sort out. Overall a cracking little loco can’t wait for the blue version...oh and no instructions in the box.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Got mine as well, agree the crest is fine, not run it yet but it looks great, cab detail is excellent.  Only minor fault was a 3 link coupling that had fallen apart but easily screwed back together. Had a couple of 4mm mates round and they were blown away by it...

53 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Got mine as well, agree the crest is fine, not run it yet but it looks great, cab detail is excellent.  Only minor fault was a 3 link coupling that had fallen apart but easily screwed back together. Had a couple of 4mm mates round and they were blown away by it...

My coupling had come apart too sorted quickly though did you get instructions with yours...love the cab detail too.

Very pleased with mine which is now 03 128, Laira pilot.   About to fit DCC.  No instructions in mine either.   Tower say none of this batch have instructions.  They hope to receive them as a PDF within the next couple of weeks and will then post them as a PDF on their website.  Well done Heljan.

• Like 1

Zimo decoder from Digitrains now fitted.  Just about squeezed in a sugar cube speaker.  The speaker Connection on the loco’s  PCB is a small socket.  Rather than removing it I bought a plug as recommended in the thread on fitting a Heljan class 128 DPU with a Zimo decoder.  Great sounds and the loco runs very smoothly.  Weathering next.

• Like 1

Are everyone's new 03's running smoothly at slow speeds?? I noticed a few comments casting a bit of doubt? Being a shunting engine surely this has to be a good slow precise runner? It can't be too much to ask? Can it?

A friend's Heljan 05 is a lovely smooth runner so I was hoping the 03 would be similarly good??

Hopefully as smooth as the Dapol 08??

Fingers crossed anyway.....any thoughts/feedback is much appreciated....

12 hours ago, delticfan said:

I would go Heljan over DJH much better quality bodywork and you don’t have to build it. 

DJH do batch produce RTR examples, but they are not cheep, as one would expect from something which I guess is a hand built kit.  Interesting comment about eh body work quality.

On 16/01/2020 at 15:03, Maybachmd655 said:

Very pleased with mine which is now 03 128, Laira pilot.   About to fit DCC.  No instructions in mine either.   Tower say none of this batch have instructions.  They hope to receive them as a PDF within the next couple of weeks and will then post them as a PDF on their website.  Well done Heljan.

Got a photo somewhere of 03128 in faded green at Laira

Thanks very much.  I have found a few photographs of both 03134 and 03128, both in a woeful condition at Laira.  Stumbling across one of them whilst looking for something else made me order a green 03.  I have a Bachman blue one.  That is York‘s 03089.  I have just ordered a Parksde GWR 5 plank open to be the match truck for 03128.

I wanted a blue vac brake one with cone chimney. 

But for some reason HJ has done that one with black buffer beams. I never saw one so painted. 

I know they existed, but weren't common, so why, HJ?